Report: NFL to Add Additional Wild Card Team per Conference

I don't see what the concern about this would be. Four teams each play one additional game (the number 2 seed and a number 7 seed). For fans, it's a little more excitement at the end of the year. Lighten up people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

according to Peter King looks to be happening in 2015:

SI's Peter King says it's "more likely than not" that the NFL will expand to 14 playoff teams for the 2015 season

http://www.rotoworld...9/roger-goodell

I like it.

I have mixed emotions about it.

I think that the way the NFL is now, with 12 out of 32 teams making the playoffs (37.5%) make the regular season that much more important. The regular season serves almost as a playoff unto itself. With 14 out of 32 teams making the playoffs (43.7%) it allows for that much more of a margin of error in the regular season.

I do somewhat like the way that this will reward ONLY the best team in the conference--by giving them a bye. So now, have the best regular season in the conference--get a bye. I wonder, will they still re-seed after the wild card round?

I hope the Bills make the playoffs this year--for many reasons. But maybe not the least of which is I would like for the team to break its playoff drought when they playoffs are still structured this way.

I'd like the be BUILDING towards something as an organization before the playoffs expand. I'd rather go 10-6 this year, make the playoffs, lose in the wild card round, and KNOW that we're on to something... than go 8-8, miss the playoffs this year, make a minor change here or there (like this offseason), go 8-8 in 2015, and make the playoffs. If that makes sense?

I have mixed emotions about it.

I think that the way the NFL is now, with 12 out of 32 teams making the playoffs (37.5%) make the regular season that much more important. The regular season serves almost as a playoff unto itself. With 14 out of 32 teams making the playoffs (43.7%) it allows for that much more of a margin of error in the regular season.

I do somewhat like the way that this will reward ONLY the best team in the conference--by giving them a bye. So now, have the best regular season in the conference--get a bye. I wonder, will they still re-seed after the wild card round?

I hope the Bills make the playoffs this year--for many reasons. But maybe not the least of which is I would like for the team to break its playoff drought when they playoffs are still structured this way.

I'd like the be BUILDING towards something as an organization before the playoffs expand. I'd rather go 10-6 this year, make the playoffs, lose in the wild card round, and KNOW that we're on to something... than go 8-8, miss the playoffs this year, make a minor change here or there (like this offseason), go 8-8 in 2015, and make the playoffs. If that makes sense?

I hear ya. Week 17 this past season was awesome with almost every game having some sort of playoff/seeding implication. By expanding the playoffs, Week 15-17 are all going to have HUGE playoff implications which is AWESOME to me.

I have no problem with an 8-8 team making it in. The NFL isn't like other leagues that have 300 regular season games (hyperbole alert). There are a bunch of teams who literally have bad luck a couple of games and/or lose by 3 points or less and finish 7-9 as opposed to 9-7. Many 7-9 teams or 8-8 teams aren't that much worse than 9-7 teams or 10-6 teams. It's not the same as baseball for example where a team that goes 70-92 compared to a team that goes 92-70 - the latter is clearly much better.

I'm 110% for it.

Edited by bobobonators

• 1 month later...

I'm all for it. Think of how much more exciting it is in baseball now that they expanded the playoffs. It's even more interesting in the NFL because it's 1 game winner take all and anything can happen on any given Sunday (or Saturday) as we know. Plus, we can use all the help we can get

I could care less. Its a money grab by the Empire and Lord Goodell.

Buuuuuut, if the Bills have a better chance to make it in....I'm cool with it. I normally don't care either way bout these things tho.

Good to know that you still care.

good idea, they need to go to 8

No they don't.

They don't even need to go to 7. The playoff system is fine the way it is.

But it'll happen anyway, it's all about money, and this will put the 18 game regular season idea on the back burner, for now.

I love it. When we see 11-5 teams bumped for Division winners with an 8-8 record, there is something seriously wrong. Just have 1 team with a bye and lets go with it. Good call!

No they don't.

They don't even need to go to 7. The playoff system is fine the way it is.

But it'll happen anyway, it's all about money, and this will put the 18 game regular season idea on the back burner, for now.

Mark, love ya man but you are off on this one. It may being in a little more money but when you have teams who are much better record wise than a division winner, they deserve a shot. Seems like every year (esp. in the NFC) some team gets hosed.

I love it. When we see 11-5 teams bumped for Division winners with an 8-8 record, there is something seriously wrong. Just have 1 team with a bye and lets go with it. Good call!

Mark, love ya man but you are off on this one. It may being in a little more money but when you have teams who are much better record wise than a division winner, they deserve a shot. Seems like every year (esp. in the NFC) some team gets hosed.

This has become more of a recent development in the NFL than it has been an overall epidemic.

You could also make a case that for every team that gets hosed by missing the playoffs with a winning record, there are teams that make the playoffs as wild cards with above average records.

Adding more teams to the playoffs will only emphasize that even more.

I understand your point, and I respect your opinion, I guess I am just more "old school" in my thinking.

You want to make the playoffs? Earn it. Watching 8-8 teams make the playoffs, does not excite me. Otherwise, I'd be an NBA fan too.