Need advice (gulp) A gift idea for someone with everything

boyst

I realize I should have done this while Chef was on vacation because he is going to probably enjoy this. Every Thanksgiving my Sister in Law's mother invites me to stay the weekend with them at their mountain house in Boone that her entire family goes. I am the only outside family member that is invited. I have been invited to stay, at her expense, at a suite at the beach, as well. There have been numerous things she has done just out of the blue that were awesome. She is the manager of a huge law firm and makes a crap ton of money so there is nothing she really doesn't have which makes it that much more frustrating. Today I got a little phone charger in the mail from her; one of those that store power via USB then reverse the cord to charge something. Nothing too fancy just the thought that she thought of me is something I appreciate.

The past year I have been scouring the world for something to get her as an appreciation of her generosity. I have looked at antique shops and Main Street boutiques for ideas but nothing that was extraordinary - at a relatively reasonable cost. I don't have thousands to spend, maybe $100-150 at most but that would probably be extreme. What I want to find is something more then just a gift card to XYZ or some latest new fad toy thing. Something that will be representative of how appreciative I am. Of course something of finer tastes would be nice - a hand carved wine bottle opener, I don't know. I really don't have much fancy stuff on the farm!

Any ideas on where I could go to find something neat or unique? Family is a big deal to her with two kids and a step son and a heap of grandchildren, so maybe that angle is good.

Thanks everyone!

She's a generation older than you, and I know from your posts that you're pretty good with technology. Even though she has a big-time job it's likely that she relies on others for tech assistance at work.

Given what you said about importance of family to her, I bet she might appreciate it if you set up a digital picture frame with a continuous slide show of family pictures. You could get one in the range you are willing to spend - - and other family members would probably be happy to contribute family photos to the effort.

Naah - - - just get her a fishing pole, drill or toolbox.

Given what you said about importance of family to her, I bet she might appreciate it if you set up a digital picture frame with a continuous slide show of family pictures. You could get one in the range you are willing to spend - - and other family members would probably be happy to contribute family photos to the effort.

That's what we did for my Grandmother, had everyone contribute as many photos as they want, then put them all on one memory card. Then once a year, we add on any photos people want to give as an "update", leaving the originals on the card.

Get some photos and send them to scott flick (face book flicktures) this guy is fantastic look at his Bills and Sabres drawings. We are having him do portrait. He was also featured in the video section of Buffalo Bills .com on his work of Bills players.

Thanks for the ideas so far, guys!

I could go on and on about this woman. But, in her mid 60's she is getting ready to run her annual marathon with my sister in law when she invites her entire family (2 sons, 1 daughter, with all of their familes and one grandson whose mother passed - 15 people) to Diseny World. Then, she pays for every one to take a trip somewhere else - Myrtle Beach, skiing in SLC, 4wheeling in Yosemite, etc. She does more in a day then I do in an entire month and then sits down and drinks some tea and reads a book at the end of the day.

I am practically adopted by her family. I do my best to earn my keep as a babysitter when we're together, activities for the kids (you may remember I built them a tee pee last Thanksgiving, this year I built them a fort and we repainted the teepee). I've given her meat every time I visit and refuse payment and don't feel that is enough.

tickets! to a concert, show, game whatever. if she frequents boone, check out the shows coming to asheville soon. we just gave friends two weekend passes to next years bristol rhythm and roots (about an hour from boone). they were thrilled. i think they're $45 bucks now but go up every month. also, there a nice tapas restuarant in banner elk that you could get a gift certificate for. name starts with a Z but can't remember the rest.