Kiko top rookie per Mel Kiper

These lists scream something to me - and its to take stud players which 'concerns'. The best players in the draft always fall because of character concerns or something else, like health. Kiko is one of them.

Marcus Cannon was a 1st or 2nd round tackle back in 2011, until he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a very curable disease. He has started for the Patsies for the 2nd half of this season.

Robert Quinn was suspended for a year and fell slightly, he finished this season 2nd in the NFL with 19 sacks

The Honey Badger smokes pot and fell to the 3rd round. He was the best rookie DB in the NFL this year.

Vontaze Burfict had character concerns and went undrafted, he lead the league in tackles this season and is one of the best LBs in the NFL.

Star Lotulelei went from a projected top 3 pick to the 14th pick because he was sick at the combine and has been a big reason the Panthers D has been as good as it has this season.

Dez Bryant was maybe the best player in his draft class and fell to the 20s because he is thuggish. He is now one of the best WRs in the league.

Brandon Spikes ran a bad 40 and fell out of the 1st round - he is now a stud.

Gronkowski had a bad back and fell out of the 1st round. Obviously a huge mistake.

Imagine if we had Burfict and Honey Bdager on our D this year? Imagine if we had Gronk on O?

Talk about value!!!! What superstar will fall this year because they run a slow 40 or smoke too much pot??

breaking:

Mario Williams and Jairus Byrd Second team all pro

Alonso is a finalist for rookie of the year

Hmm - check out the top 30 rookies - No EJ, No Woods.

Glennon & Geno make the list. I wonder if it's because Mel thinks they're better than EJ or because EJ's season is best described as "incomplete"

because Mel is out of touch with reality and has to have certain players grade out at certain levels. Pre draft he graded Geno higher, it would do him diservice to put EJ ahead of geno. he had no choice with glennon

Glennon & Geno make the list. I wonder if it's because Mel thinks they're better than EJ or because EJ's season is best described as "incomplete"

Probably a combination of both. I like Kiper, but you have to take him for what he is. As I recall, he wasn't crazy about the Manuel pick in the first round, though he liked the player okay...so, when these guys spend months doing one mock draft after another, and a team, like the Bills in this case, make them look foolish, they will over-criticize the pick, particularly if, like EJ, he doesn't play way above their grade for him, coming into the draft. Pretty much all the big-name draftniks, as I recall, had Geno Smith ranked as the #1 QB prospect. I would contend, EJ never had the dazzling highs that Smith had, but he rarely had as many lows as Geno. So, Geno gives them more highlight material.

Smith may prove to be the better QB of the two, when it all shakes out, but it is still too early to tell. I must admit, I think I only saw Glennon play twice all year, and he didn't blow me away either...but he also wasn't a first round draft pick. So, does where the guy was drafted matter almost as much as how he actually performs? I think for guys in Kipers' line of work, it does. If EJ was a second round pick, and had the same year, he would likely be graded higher. Remember, pretty much all the national guys had the Bills taking Nassib with their first round pick. That cracks me up...the Bills took grief for taking Manuel, but everyone would have said Nassib was a great pick for them...of course, we don't know how Nassib would have been as a rookie starter, but few seem impressed with what they have seen of him in the NFL.

Edited by Buftex

not even close:

did you see Sheldon Richardson play? The guy was dominate.

AND he scored rushing TDs.

I think it is pretty even for DROY, but Richardson will get it because he plays in NYC New Jersey.

Edited by sodbuster

Stinks as THe Legend was awesome, but will go,to Richardson. I agree from another thread Kiko will nbenefit from 15 lbs. of muscle ( which is possible with intense workouts as I was a national champ in powerlifting 100 years ago) and a strong side ILB. We will stop this run defense issues with a Willis type guy.

Top rookie (out of 30) and DROY per the venerable Mel "Hairpiece" Kiper ..... Nickell Robey also gets a nod as top nickel corner

Not too shabby .... hope the link works here

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10231906/nfl-mel-kiper-2013-nfl-all-rookie-team

Nice to get the recognition for these kids !

I am a fan of both and am delighted to be rooting for them. Both will just improve with experience i suspect.

You expected EJ to make that list?!

Was it his three knee injuries that you thoght would propel him onto the list?

AND he scored rushing TDs.

I think it is pretty even for DROY, but Richardson will get it because he plays in NYC New Jersey.

It's really not that even. Sheldon has been more impressive throughout the year. Kiko was quiet in the home stretch. Not to say Kiko wasn't playing well, but to win awards you need highlights.

Probably a combination of both. I like Kiper, but you have to take him for what he is. As I recall, he wasn't crazy about the Manuel pick in the first round, though he liked the player okay...so, when these guys spend months doing one mock draft after another, and a team, like the Bills in this case, make them look foolish, they will over-criticize the pick, particularly if, like EJ, he doesn't play way above their grade for him, coming into the draft. Pretty much all the big-name draftniks, as I recall, had Geno Smith ranked as the #1 QB prospect. I would contend, EJ never had the dazzling highs that Smith had, but he rarely had as many lows as Geno. So, Geno gives them more highlight material.

Smith may prove to be the better QB of the two, when it all shakes out, but it is still too early to tell. I must admit, I think I only saw Glennon play twice all year, and he didn't blow me away either...but he also wasn't a first round draft pick. So, does where the guy was drafted matter almost as much as how he actually performs? I think for guys in Kipers' line of work, it does. If EJ was a second round pick, and had the same year, he would likely be graded higher. Remember, pretty much all the national guys had the Bills taking Nassib with their first round pick. That cracks me up...the Bills took grief for taking Manuel, but everyone would have said Nassib was a great pick for them...of course, we don't know how Nassib would have been as a rookie starter, but few seem impressed with what they have seen of him in the NFL.

How did the Bills maker Kiper appear foolish?

At this point it is more likely the reverse, although at best the jury is out.