Will Marrone Make Any More Changes?

He will replace thousands of "ya know"s with "mmmkay?"s.

+1

This will certainly lead us to a winning season. :thumbsup:

What about the analytics guy? Seems like a waste.

Not at all! Analytics in any industry takes a good long time to show results. This is not good for impatient, uninformed Bills fans, but good for the Buffalo organization.

Installing analytics is quite an involved process, from software / hardware systems, ETL, determining what measures you want to look at, to making sure you have the correct data, to setting up the proper reports, getting the right staff who can pull the data, etc.

It's a pretty cool industry, and there's quite a bit more to it than looking at a few spreadsheets. It drives me nuts when people don't give stuff time to work.

Edited by todd

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying this is the case, but maybe (despite how bad Crossman was), they don't want to fire him

until they know they can secure someone better. Crossman stinks, but he has a certain amount of experience, etc.

So, you want to make sure the next guy will be a definite upgrade, rather than fire Crossman immediately and

end up with someone worse. Hilliard was a young coach in a lesser position, they know they can do better there.

I'm sure there are a ton of good WR coaches out there, but probably fewer really good ST coaches.

So, maybe Crossman will still be let go, but only after they have a commitment from a better coach.

Edited by folz

He will replace thousands of "ya know"s with "mmmkay?"s.

I listened to his interview with Murphy the other night. The wife and I started counting every time he said "Ya know". We were giggling the whole time because the when we first started counting, he was using the phrase "ya know" 9 or 10 times within each answer to each question that Murphy was asking.

In a couple cases he used the phrase "ya know" like 3 times within 3 seconds. Ya know...well...ya know ya know.....that's the kind of thing we are trying to fix here.

Too funny....

I forget which player used to do that. There was a guy here a couple years back who did that a lot during interviews after games. Except that player would really emphasize those words. He was like "Yuuuuuuu Knoooooow" and he would repeat it like that. He would say it really slow with a lot of emphasis. Whish I could remember who it was..... lol

Not at all! Analytics in any industry takes a good long time to show results. This is not good for impatient, uninformed Bills fans, but good for the Buffalo organization.

Installing analytics is quite an involved process, from software / hardware systems, ETL, determining what measures you want to look at, to making sure you have the correct data, to setting up the proper reports, getting the right staff who can pull the data, etc.

It's a pretty cool industry, and there's quite a bit more to it than looking at a few spreadsheets. It drives me nuts when people don't give stuff time to work.

When I think of our analytics guy, I envision George Costanza, sitting in an office with no windows, reviewing the Penske file.

at the end of the day....

that is funny! I noticed that as well. Often when he answers he asks himself a question.....Q: Can we play better in those situations? A: Absolutely. Q: Is EJ improving? A: U know, its hard cuz we want him to get as many snaps as he can..........BUT YOU KNOW, AT THE END OF THE DAY BLAH BLAH BLAH!

When I think of our analytics guy, I envision George Costanza, sitting in an office with no windows, reviewing the Penske file.

OH my God, that is funny! I love that one episode where he has a project that he knows nothing about and he sings the song DOWNTOWN with JERRY.

I'm not saying this is the case, but maybe (despite how bad Crossman was), they don't want to fire him

until they know they can secure someone batter. Crossman stinks, but he has a certain amount of experience, etc.

So, you want to make sure the next guy will be a definite upgrade, rather than fire Crossman immediately and

end up with someone worse. Hilliard was a young coach in a lesser position, they know they can do better there.

I'm sure there are a ton of good WR coaches out there, but probably fewer really good ST coaches.

So, maybe Crossman will still be let go, but only after they have a commitment from a better coach.

They fell from 9th to 30th in ST. They have a better kicker, an elite gunner and good return men. Who would do a worse job than Crossman? He has experience but has been bad everywhere. Dick Jauron has experience as well.

Then hiding under the table when he is actually needed for anything. :lol:

In response to the OP's question,

-"Marrone announced that he fired wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard over a "difference in philosophy." He said he does not believe anyone else will be fired, even special teams coach Danny Crossman who had a rough year."-

-"The Bills finished second in the NFL with 144.2 yards per game, but their 4.2 average per carry was 14th. That was an indication that C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson made some big plays, but there were also far too many plays that failed. Spiller had 30 runs that were held to zero or negative yardage, tied for sixth-most in the league."-

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/team-report-buffalo-bills-115517731--nfl.html

I forget which player used to do that. There was a guy here a couple years back who did that a lot during interviews after games. Except that player would really emphasize those words. He was like "Yuuuuuuu Knoooooow" and he would repeat it like that. He would say it really slow with a lot of emphasis. Whish I could remember who it was..... lol

The Glove Wearing Mary is obviously definitely obviously the player you are remembering definitely.

As for Greggo Marrone, it is hard to believe anyone could be so cocky without at least backing it up with some measure of results, but here we are heading into his 5th year as coach.

The Glove Wearing Mary is obviously definitely obviously the player you are remembering definitely.

As for Greggo Marrone, it is hard to believe anyone could be so cocky without at least backing it up with some measure of results, but here we are heading into his 5th year as coach.

But at least, he doesn't mind fat guys.

What about the analytics guy? Seems like a waste.

Agree completely. I don't believe the guy has even been there one full season, and a big part of analytics would come into play for the draft/FA and he has not been around for either yet!

I am taking Marrone's evaluation that they need to build a better ST core at face value.

Marrone is coming off a 6-10 season. While he was not expected to make the playoffs this past year, he is going to face raised expectations to do that in 2014. I would guess that he has, at most, two season to make this a playoff team.

Without success, Marrone will likely be coaching college football again. I don't think that loyalty to Crossman would be enough motivation for him to keep someone who he doesn't think is doing an adequate job.

ST's are important. I am looking for how Marrone address the offense. Hackett needs help big time. IF Marrone comes back with only a new WR coach and everything else status quo then we should expect another 6-10 season. I do not care how many good players you draft if they are not coached this team will be same ole same.

Look at KC. Reid is getting the most out of a group of guys that where all there except Smith. And by no means is Smith the primary reason the Chiefs went from horrible to respectable.

I have not seen any pictures of Ike Hilliard since his playing days so I wasn't sure.

I believe this was from the Bills' lockerroom?

post-518-0-56084200-1388675809_thumb.jpg

Edited by GG

Then hiding under the table when he is actually needed for anything. :lol:

In response to the OP's question,

-"Marrone announced that he fired wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard over a "difference in philosophy." He said he does not believe anyone else will be fired, even special teams coach Danny Crossman who had a rough year."-

-"The Bills finished second in the NFL with 144.2 yards per game, but their 4.2 average per carry was 14th. That was an indication that C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson made some big plays, but there were also far too many plays that failed. Spiller had 30 runs that were held to zero or negative yardage, tied for sixth-most in the league."-

http://sports.yahoo....17731--nfl.html

I saw the interview and didn't understand Marrone to be saying definitively that Crossman wouldn't be fired. But maybe it was my own hope shading my interpretation of his comments. I don't get the thing about the lack of core ST players. McKelvin is a core player. His PR average was awesome in 2011 and 2012. It sucked last year under Crossman. The core ST player is fine. The ST coach is the problem.

It seems Marrone is blaming the poor performance of the WRs on Ike while blaming the poor performance of the Special Teams on the players.

It seems to me Marrone watched enough game video, not to mention live action, to know which coaches need replacing. And I'd be surprised if the players expressed a lot of faith in Crossman. It's disappointing to me that Crossman still has a job. The ST players deserve better leadership. We fans deserve a better product on the field.

our special teams players other than Easley - havent been special teams players prior and suck at it