What did you do today?

Just Jack

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous of you and Beer. The upper midwest is on my must travel to list.

Upper midwest? I thought they were in western Montana, not Wisconsin or Minnesota or the Dakotas? Anyway, aren't you from Toledo? Toledo is the "upper midwest."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uppermidwest.JPG

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Booked a hotel room and bought a few lift tickets from Liftopia for Whiteface Mountain this weekend. One of the last ski weekends of the year.

Cool! w/all the snow and especially the cold (looks like spirng cold also), I wonder if Killington (Upper Downdraft) will make it to June 1st. One of the best times I had up there was in late April!

Was in a store today and the local franchisee had a one page weekly store news hanging in the office. Along with the usual (sales up/new products/etc) there was the simple RW picture from the Bills on it. No explanation, or blurb why it was there. Found it surprising since I'm in Montana to see a mention of his death, in such a business setting.

I was driving on the tractor whilst putting out hay and saw this on the ground in the mud. It was broken, so the other half is somewhere out there. It is a Native American something or other.

+300 years ago there were several Native American tribes that would travel this area along the creeks and Yadkin Valley, Yadkin River Basin. When my mom was just a baby NCSU came out and did a bunch of excavating to find artifacts all over. Evidently they didn't get them all, because I still find one or two a year.

The Saponi, IIRC were part of the bands that were in this area. There are a bunch of websites dedicated to the lore of my little area in the county - from Cornwallis' gold and ghosts (documented and proven true, $1mm of gold buried somewhere around here) to the battle of the damage being done to a nearby creek that leads the state in fines levied to any entity for polluting it.

About 200 years ago there was also a small house back on a hill behind the barn and we still find hand made bricks from the chimney often.

jtk3Q4s.jpg

I was driving on the tractor whilst putting out hay and saw this on the ground in the mud. It was broken, so the other half is somewhere out there. It is a Native American something or other.

+300 years ago there were several Native American tribes that would travel this area along the creeks and Yadkin Valley, Yadkin River Basin. When my mom was just a baby NCSU came out and did a bunch of excavating to find artifacts all over. Evidently they didn't get them all, because I still find one or two a year.

The Saponi, IIRC were part of the bands that were in this area. There are a bunch of websites dedicated to the lore of my little area in the county - from Cornwallis' gold and ghosts (documented and proven true, $1mm of gold buried somewhere around here) to the battle of the damage being done to a nearby creek that leads the state in fines levied to any entity for polluting it.

About 200 years ago there was also a small house back on a hill behind the barn and we still find hand made bricks from the chimney often.

Looks like an arrowhead. They are plentiful in my area. My grandfather collected close to 100 he found on his property. I think it's magical to hold history in your hand like that. Cool find, Boyst.