What would you do?

gjv001

thebandit: Urbik is actually solid. Pears would not start on any playoff team, I believe.

Our problem on OL is RT and LG; Urbik is OK.

I agree, I don't think Pears starts for a playoff team; Urbik is solid (and versatile, which is very important IMO).

In a perfect world, a starting RT would come from FA (or even more ideally, if Hairston came back and won the job--I don't have much confidence in that though). I don't see much on the market that's in the not-bank-braking mold...here are some starters who will be out there:

Brandon Albert - KC

Anthony Collins - Cin

Breno Giacomini - Sea

Austin Howard - NYJ

Marshall Newhouse - GB

Michael Oher - Bal

Rodger Saffold - Stl

Zack Strief - NO

Jared Veldheer - Oak

If he'd come over for a reasonable salary (say, $4M-$5M/year), I'd love to get Strief from NO. Solid run/pass blocker. I'd also like to see a 3rd/4th round pick spent on a OT that can convert to guard; a guy like Zack Martin from Notre Dame or La'el Collins from LSU would be ideal.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Manziel wouldn't fit in Buffalo for a couple reasons:

1. He loves throwing the deep "50/50" ball. The Bills don't have a big receiver that can go up for it. Sure they could draft one, but if they go after Manziel chances are they would be missing out on a top receiver.

2. Marrone. No way he'd put up with the Manziel crap attitude and the circus that comes with him.

3. The offense would need a complete overhaul.

EDIT: So, if I had the pick. I'd tried to trade it away.

What circus was there with Manziel during the season this year? Descriibe his crap attitude this season.

He's accurate, can read a defense, plays hurt and doesn't take 7 or 8 sacks in a game. So, yeah, we would have a new offense with him vs. what we have now.

Hey Bandit: I would definitely target Saffold. He's young and strong. He played RT on Rams before Long got injured and then played LT a couple of games. Has also played guard. Pay the man to play RT for us. Saffold has gotten good ratings.

Glenn, Yankey, Wood, Urbik, Saffold would be a huge upgrade and my dream for the OL.

I also hope Hairston can come back and contribute. He would be perfect for depth on the OL.

Edited by bobobonators

What circus was there with Manziel during the season this year? Descriibe his crap attitude this season.

He's accurate, can read a defense, plays hurt and doesn't take 7 or 8 sacks in a game. So, yeah, we would have a new offense with him vs. what we have now.

His crap attitude extends to the offseason as well. Great, he was able to control himself for the season, doesn't mean teams still won't question his maturity.

As far as reading defenses, I couldn't disagree more. Because of his height he will consistently be compared to Brees and Wilson. Neither of these 2 QB's are the "dual threat" QB that Manziel is. Kevin Sumlin has designed the offense so Manziel doesn't have to win games in the pocket. The way that Brees/Wilson overcome there height a lot is by making lots of pre and post snap reads. They are film room junkies. Manziel has yet to show he can consistently make these types of reads mostly because he'll just take off and run if it gets too confusing. He makes half-field reads.

Also his arm is no where near as good as Brees or Wilson.

While I'm not sold on Manziel, I hate when people say that you can't draft a QB in the 1st in back-to-back years. In the past, this was definitely true, but not currently. Before, the salary implications of drafting a 1st round QB each year would have crushed a franchise; however, that isn't the case with the new salary structure for the draft.

Honestly, as long as there is a QB on the board in the 1st that the Bills believe is close (+- 5 picks) to where they pick, then they should continue to draft them until one sticks. Give each QB a minimum of 2 years, and if they show something, then you give them a 3rd year. Most rookie deals are for 5 years too, so this wouldn't be an issue.

The Bills had a top 3 running game and a top 15 defense this year, but they still finished 6-10. I think that goes to show how important it is to have a franchise QB in today's NFL.

The Denver Broncos spend a first on Tim Tebow and then dumped him to the Jets for (if I remember correctly)a fifth and had the opportunity to acquire Peyton Manning. Of course you always upgrade the position with the best available talent, this is a business not a kindergarten.

I laugh hysterically at people who "question the maturity" of someone who literally just turned 21 this month. People look back at his actions when he was 18/19 and judge him for being immature. L M F A O. Get off it.

the definition of "immature" is "not fully developed." That happens when you're 18/19!

His crap attitude extends to the offseason as well. Great, he was able to control himself for the season, doesn't mean teams still won't question his maturity.

As far as reading defenses, I couldn't disagree more. Because of his height he will consistently be compared to Brees and Wilson. Neither of these 2 QB's are the "dual threat" QB that Manziel is. Kevin Sumlin has designed the offense so Manziel doesn't have to win games in the pocket. The way that Brees/Wilson overcome there height a lot is by making lots of pre and post snap reads. They are film room junkies. Manziel has yet to show he can consistently make these types of reads mostly because he'll just take off and run if it gets too confusing. He makes half-field reads.

Also his arm is no where near as good as Brees or Wilson.

Why would they question his maturity after this season (be specific)? Newton's character certainly didn't prevent him from going in the first.

Yeah, Manziel can't make reads-just takes off. Yet he was still able to complete nearly 70% of his passes and throw for 3700 yards and 33 TDs. He destroyed Alabama's D 2 years in a row.

Why don't you just preface your Manziel comments with this disclaimer: "I never really watched the guy play. I just don't like him"? It would be easier for everyone.

Hey Bandit: I would definitely target Saffold. He's young and strong. He played RT on Rams before Long got injured and then played LT a couple of games. Has also played guard. Pay the man to play RT for us. Saffold has gotten good ratings.

Glenn, Yankey, Wood, Urbik, Saffold would be a huge upgrade and my dream for the OL.

I also hope Hairston can come back and contribute. He would be perfect for depth on the OL.

Saffold is a good football player; his injury history bothers me a bit. He's been nicked up quite a bit in his pro career, missing 17 games over 4 years. I also don't think he'll command big money as a tackle, given that he lost his starting job to Joe Barksdale.

I agree on Yankey; very good player. I'm not hot on the idea of drafting a guard in round 1 or 2 though, which i think you'd have to do to get him. I'd rather go with a 2nd-tier OT in round 3 or 4 and move him to guard.

Why would they question his maturity after this season (be specific)? Newton's character certainly didn't prevent him from going in the first.

Yeah, Manziel can't make reads-just takes off. Yet he was still able to complete nearly 70% of his passes and throw for 3700 yards and 33 TDs. He destroyed Alabama's D 2 years in a row.

Why don't you just preface your Manziel comments with this disclaimer: "I never really watched the guy play. I just don't like him"? It would be easier for everyone.

You're right I've never watched him play, thats why I said how the offense is set up for him and how he reads defenses. I also said how he likes to throw the "50/50" ball. Nope never seen him play.

So lets play the stat game. Yea a guy who has 133 rushing attempts in a season obviously doesn't run.

I won't resort to insults and just leave it at a difference of opinion.

You're right I've never watched him play, thats why I said how the offense is set up for him and how he reads defenses. I also said how he likes to throw the "50/50" ball. Nope never seen him play.

So lets play the stat game. Yea a guy who has 133 rushing attempts in a season obviously doesn't run.

I won't resort to insults and just leave it at a difference of opinion.

You can see him play tonight: Chik-fil-A bowl 8PM……against Duke (lol)……he should light it up hard.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

No pun intended, but: pass. EJ may be the guy, he may not...I'm willing to gamble one more season on him to see if he is the guy. He needs to stay healthy and demonstrate his ability to play the QB position at a high level. If he can't do those things, then I'm moving on. Personally, after seeing him this year, I think 2015 will be a year the BILLS draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. I hope I'm wrong, and will be happy to admit it because that would mean EJ has been "The Man". But I think the BILLS need a pure pocket passer to truly succeed.