WR Coach Ike Hilliard Released from the Bills' Coaching Staff

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough to say. So much of WR play depends on the QB. As fans, we never really know if WR's are getting open and doing what they're supposed to be doing, or if the QB isn't delivering the ball to open guys.

I will say that I think the Bills expected a ton more out of Graham this year. Maybe that he didn't deliver was considered a poor teaching job by Ike.

it is tough but --

Stevie? that seems an easy no, that he did not get better this year

TJ? at best troubled with fundamentals of being a WR

easley? for whatever reason couldnt get on the field

hogan? well....

and the two rookies played well, but i wont say they looked much better in Dec than September (despite the disclaimer that i watched far less closely the last couple weeks)

cut the one PS rookie we started the season with (ie no progress), cut rogers who like him or not was extremely talented and apparently unable to be coached up here (ie no progress here, but good reviews in indy)

theres really not a shining example to point to here. id give it to you if it was a mixed bag but... i dont see the positives in the direction this group headed this year.

Edited by NoSaint

I am not impressed by this move at all.

Danny Crossman should have been fired immediately.

To me this is Doug Marrone saying: "I just fired one of my coaches! See how tough I am?!"

Yep, the cutting can't stop here. But I'm guessing Marrone's friends get a pass and we'll be stuck with excusemaking.

I've been trying to stay quiet and keep my fingers crossed that Marrone will right the ship and all will be forgiven and forgotten. Unless there is something that we don't know (like Hilliard wanted to be released) this sounds like Marrone will protect his cronies and throw other people under the bus just for show. Some other additions and subtractions had better happen quickly (ST and QB coaches would be a good start) or else Marrone is going to have a hard time getting people to want to believe him or follow him. It's meaningless for fans on an internet forum to get upset at this coach. However, many of the players on this team are already familiar with the concept of a coach with no credibility, and I believe it won't take long for the players themselves to give up on Marrone if he doesn't quickly do some things that are clearly needed.

I am not impressed by this move at all.

Danny Crossman should have been fired immediately.

To me this is Doug Marrone saying: "I just fired one of my coaches! See how tough I am?!"

Marrone's big talk of accountability loses any meaning to me if he keeps his pal Crossman on as ST Coordinator. The guy has no track record of putting together ST schemes that consistently excel as part of a winning football program at the NFL level. A move by all rights is warranted IMO, but I'm not expecting it.

Marrone's big talk of accountability loses any meaning to me if he keeps his pal Crossman on as ST Coordinator. The guy has no track record of putting together ST schemes that consistently excel as part of a winning football program at the NFL level. A move by all rights is warranted IMO, but I'm not expecting it.

we will see - hopefully this is just a piece to the puzzle going into the offseason. im not sure why so many people are taking this as the only change that will happen. its still highly possible that between the friendship, and the higher level coordinator contract - its simply going to take a few more hours to finalize. perhaps he wants to handle it a certain way and giving it out at the press conference wasnt it.

The WR coach is to blame for poor play calling, bad hands, bad throws, and bad blocking.

he's definitely responsible for his units breakdowns - mistaken reads, not adjusting routes to coverage, and running lazy routes were the most obvious.

but this was prevalent enough that Hackett should have been all over it. who knows.. maybe he was and the firing was coming for a long time.. i just don't think Hackett has control of this thing..

you can delegate and live with poor results, eventually parting company with the guy who let you down..

or you can delegate and be pro-active in correcting the problems you're seeing each week - getting better results and saving some working relationships

For the record, I am on board with getting rid of Crossman -- he was a bad hire to begin with given his lack of success in Detroit. But what evidence is there that Crossman is a Marrone crony? Did the two have a prior association prior to the hire this year?

was bad in carolina too.

and yea, they were teammates and also twice served as assistant coaches together.