What batch of kool-aid will Russ whip up next?

Jerry Jabber

How about nearly every one of your posts in the offseason?

What I post about is the bizarre and insane responses people have to the Bills. Losing makes people crazy. I try to introduce reason. You call that making excuses.

But whatever. Jerry Jabber made a good point earlier. Why shouldn't people vent after another losing season? Even if those rants leave the dimension reality exists in.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More of the same "rah-rah" stuff from Brandon. My guess is the Bills will try a Big FA signing or two as their offseason kool-aid .

One of the most awesome and underrated movies of all time.

I love that movie (haven't seen it in years). I love it when they hijacked the news stations and shot up/blew up the cars from the other dealership.

Bring back the home game. Play the preseason games @ Toronto, or Syracuse. Marrone would be somewhat of a draw to 'Cuse fans.

Just get those friggin' preseason games off of the backs of season ticket holders!

Or you can do what some do and divide your total cost by 7 and assume that is your per ticket cost. Treat the preseason tix as free and do with them what you will. I suspect even calculating that way the Bills have some of the cheapest season ticket prices in the NFL.

I don't see Brandon bringing back the home game. It is too lucrative for the Bills and keeps season ticket prices lower. Plus Toronto won't take a preseason game without a regular season one. Syracuse might draw some fans from ever further east and might be worth a shot though.

Edited by CodeMonkey

What I post about is the bizarre and insane responses people have to the Bills. Losing makes people crazy. I try to introduce reason. You call that making excuses.

But whatever. Jerry Jabber made a good point earlier. Why shouldn't people vent after another losing season? Even if those rants leave the dimension reality exists in.

PTR

Except you don't do that You specialize in the schadenfreude type of posts where you love to point out other teams' bad moves as examples of how Bills aren't different. But Bills are different because they have the knack of doing more wrong things than right things. No one organization is right 100% of the time. The difference in winning programs is that they bat more than .500. Bills do not. It's that simple. But you like to pretend that Bills are just like any team in the league.

If the ST craps the bed, it's not the coach who has a horrendous track record in the league, but the players making mistakes. If Bills inflict self imposed holes without replacing the players with quality players, the team should be given a pass because it worked for another team a decade ago. When the team willfully gives up home field advantage, it's done to keep the team in Buffalo, not to line the owner's pockets. There are many more examples of this. You rarely offer opinions on why a particular move will work or not. You just offer commentary on the posters' reactions. In a sense you act as the Jerry Sullivan of this forum.

Except you don't do that You specialize in the schadenfreude type of posts where you love to point out other teams' bad moves as examples of how Bills aren't different. But Bills are different because they have the knack of doing more wrong things than right things. No one organization is right 100% of the time. The difference in winning programs is that they bat more than .500. Bills do not. It's that simple. But you like to pretend that Bills are just like any team in the league.

If the ST craps the bed, it's not the coach who has a horrendous track record in the league, but the players making mistakes. If Bills inflict self imposed holes without replacing the players with quality players, the team should be given a pass because it worked for another team a decade ago. When the team willfully gives up home field advantage, it's done to keep the team in Buffalo, not to line the owner's pockets. There are many more examples of this. You rarely offer opinions on why a particular move will work or not. You just offer commentary on the posters' reactions. In a sense you act as the Jerry Sullivan of this forum.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, tis the season for the "rose colored glasses" vs. "hard bitten realist" nonsense to begin.

I've come to like the expression "brown coloured glasses" as being the opposite of "rose coloured glasses".

With rose coloured glasses, everything looks good.

With brown coloured glasses, everything looks like crap.

Or you can do what some do and divide your total cost by 7 and assume that is your per ticket cost. Treat the preseason tix as free and do with them what you will. I suspect even calculating that way the Bills have some of the cheapest season ticket prices in the NFL.

I don't see Brandon bringing back the home game. It is too lucrative for the Bills and keeps season ticket prices lower. Plus Toronto won't take a preseason game without a regular season one. Syracuse might draw some fans from ever further east and might be worth a shot though.

That's basically what I do to stay sane about it. I have said before, that I would be happier if the STH price was the same, Regular Season games were more, and the preseason games were less/free.

It did kind of tick me off though during the last Toronto deal when they decided they didnt want the preseason game anymore and we were "stuck" with it.

The only reason I feel like the "evaluation" of the Toronto series is legit, is Im not sure if Brandon openly admits it is anything but a resounding success unless there is real smoke there. I suspect Rogers could possibly be the ones looking into axing the series as they cannot get people to go no matter what the price point. This year more than any it has given their hopes to land an NFL team (The Bills) some bad press going against it.

I have to say, I don't understand the Russ Brandon bashing. The guy is a Bills fan. He wants the Bills to win. Whether or not he's capable of running a winning organization is still an open question. But he's pretty remote from the product on the field.

As the President/CEO, his main contribution to the W-L record is hiring the GM. He hired Doug Whaley. Doug Whaley's ability is also still unproven but Peter King and others praised the choice. Whaley was well regarded in Pittsburgh and was a valid pick. We'll see how it goes.

Russ's biggest mistake thus far was setting up the TO series. Players and fans alike hate it. But even his biggest blunder had some logic behind it. I'm glad Russ is trying to regionalize the fan base in order to solidify the Bills place in WNY. It's better to swing and miss than to not swing at all.

Championship teams aren't built over night. Wooden was in his 16th year at UCLA when he won his first NCAA title. He then won 11 in 13 years. Brandon needs more time before we can judge him.

I don't want to play the role of the Brandon apologist because I hardly have an opinion about the guy. It just seems to me that a lot of collective anger about the Bills long streak of uncompetitiveness is being directed at a guy who has little to do with it.

I have to say, I don't understand the Russ Brandon bashing. The guy is a Bills fan. He wants the Bills to win. Whether or not he's capable of running a winning organization is still an open question. But he's pretty remote from the product on the field.

As the President/CEO, his main contribution to the W-L record is hiring the GM. He hired Doug Whaley. Doug Whaley's ability is also still unproven but Peter King and others praised the choice. Whaley was well regarded in Pittsburgh and was a valid pick. We'll see how it goes.

Russ's biggest mistake thus far was setting up the TO series. Players and fans alike hate it. But even his biggest blunder had some logic behind it. I'm glad Russ is trying to regionalize the fan base in order to solidify the Bills place in WNY. It's better to swing and miss than to not swing at all.

Championship teams aren't built over night. Wooden was in his 16th year at UCLA when he won his first NCAA title. He then won 11 in 13 years. Brandon needs more time before we can judge him.

I don't want to play the role of the Brandon apologist because I hardly have an opinion about the guy. It just seems to me that a lot of collective anger about the Bills long streak of uncompetitiveness is being directed at a guy who has little to do with it.

You're forgetting about his tenure as GM. It's not as if Brandon just started on the job a year or two ago, he's been here a while now.

I wonder what he intends to do too. I am a bit of a marketing guy myself. So I tend to try and look through the wool they are pulling over our eyes every year.

Maybe this year season ticket holders will get 2 Bills blankets instead of one......lol

I think season ticket sales are going to suck unless they do something big. There really is no incentive to renew for another season like this one. Borderline fans who are currently season ticket holders will save their money and stay home.

Should be interesting.

Well I think if you have been a season ticket holder for a while you at least saw some entertaining football this year and that may be enough to hold over.

Well I think if you have been a season ticket holder for a while you at least saw some entertaining football this year and that may be enough to hold over.

The Bills have now sucked for 14 years in a row. The vast majority of people who have seasons now will continue to buy them regardless of record, as long as they are in Buffalo.

Of course if Brandon is trying to increase the number of seasons holders significantly then he is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his butt ;)

You're forgetting about his tenure as GM. It's not as if Brandon just started on the job a year or two ago, he's been here a while now.

The GM experiment clearly didn't work. But I'm not really sure who was calling the football shots back then. I don't think it was him. His job was to "whip up kool-aid" and sell it - i.e. sell tickets. His job is bigger now but still on the business side of things. He's not a personnel guy, not a coach.

The GM experiment clearly didn't work. But I'm not really sure who was calling the football shots back then. I don't think it was him. His job was to "whip up kool-aid" and sell it - i.e. sell tickets. His job is bigger now but still on the business side of things. He's not a personnel guy, not a coach.

A few of us chimed in on this in a recent thread...Russ called a few of the football shots between 2008 and 2009, relinquishing any such responsibilities when Nix was hired. He's not calling any of them now, including the hiring of the head coach. Whaley makes the football decisions.

Russ absolutely did have input in the coaching search, helping to conduct interviews and sell candidates on his willingness to do what's necessary to win as team President. He also provided his 2 cents to Nix/Whaley, but they ultimately made the final decision to hire Marrone.

I don't know about Russ' kool-aid, but I can't understand the number of people here who actually drink the Fool-Aid and think a turnaround will happen in year 1. That, my friends, is an ignorant expectation.

I don't know about Russ' kool-aid, but I can't understand the number of people here who actually drink the Fool-Aid and think a turnaround will happen in year 1. That, my friends, is an ignorant expectation.

A lot of us don't see it as year 1, but either year 9 (meaning the amount of consecutive losing seasons) and/or year 14 (meaning the consecutive years of missing the playoffs).

i think he's already shown part of his hand: he's gonna dangle the "present" of stopping the toronto game in front of fans eyes for months...then just before we're set to kick the ball, he'll pull a lucy and move it. you'd think removing the game if he felt it was detrimental to the team would mean it would be gone by now. his quotes in the "bills brass" article suggest otherwise. i see only 2 possible conclusions: he's a liar or he's stupid and can't see simple logic. of course, they both may well be true. if he reneges on the toronto game, we're pretty much assured of the same old same old noncommittment to winning with continued consistent losing. if he trashes it, i see some hope.

Boom !

Maybe the FO will appease us by bringing in a FA ?

I hope so. Isn't that what they are supposed to do ?

+ 1 :thumbsup:

TBD # 1 apologist.

FYI: It's not even real Kool-Aid anymore, it's just some knock-off generic "bug juice", like they used to serve us little kids at summer camp. IMO.

:D