Cowher

Bills1218

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look back first. Say Cower had somehow been hired four years ago instead of Chan Gailey. Would the Bills be a legitimate Super Bowl contender right now?

Cower is this pipe dream for Bills fans, as if he'll bring the Vince Lombardi trophy to Buffalo all by himself.

You cannot hire someone when they don't want the job. I think the Bills are in a better position now than they were then, but still far to go, obviously.

As much as it sucks at the end of another unsuccessful season to say anything positive about the Bills coaching staff it's important to give Marrone a d company more than a season to clean up the mess. I believe that they know there are holes to fill and as hard as it is we must allow them time to get rolling. He gets 3 seasons. If not back to the drawing board but let's give the man his legimate shot.

LV

Mods, when can we start making a post minnimum before starting threads. This might be a good time to start that.

Sick of seeing this post. Those of you who repeat this over and over and over, obviously have nothing better to do than sit around reading and posting and posting and reading and.......

Did this thread just take to much precious time out of your busy day? Not so much that you couldn't squeeze in a response I guess. All you multi thousAnd posters, who are above the peon newbies, get over yourselves.

As much as it sucks at the end of another unsuccessful season to say anything positive about the Bills coaching staff it's important to give Marrone a d company more than a season to clean up the mess. I believe that they know there are holes to fill and as hard as it is we must allow them time to get rolling. He gets 3 seasons. If not back to the drawing board but let's give the man his legimate shot.

LV

You have to help me understand as to why we always have to give everyone 3 years? Idk maybe it's just me but that 3 year rule thing hasn't worked for us in the last 14yrs. There's enough talent on this team and I don't believe that the players are totally being used effectively. Mainly on offense.

Sick of seeing this post. Those of you who repeat this over and over and over, obviously have nothing better to do than sit around reading and posting and posting and reading and.......

Did this thread just take to much precious time out of your busy day? Not so much that you couldn't squeeze in a response I guess. All you multi thousAnd posters, who are above the peon newbies, get over yourselves.

That said, I'm going to start a thread on how the Bills need to hire Jon Gruden..

Just kidding.

Cowher lost three AFC championship games - at home. He is terribly overrated. If Dick Lebeau were 15 years younger I would give that guy another shot. He got screwed in Cincinnati. Behind every "great" coach is the real reason for their greatness. Belichick - Brady. Shanahan - Elway. Holmgren - Favre. Cowher - Lebeau. The exceptions are Noll, Walsh, Lombardi, Jimmy Johnson(yes I said it), and probably Shula.

In a perfect world, we'd dump Marrone tomorrow like the Browns are dumping Chud, and then throw money at the Chin until he agrees to save us from another 14 years in the NFL wilderness - https://www.facebook...CowherToBuffalo

But this isn't a perfect world, so we're probably looking at 1.5 more years of mediocrity followed by bringing in Romeo Crennel as our new coach.

Doomed.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

In a perfect world, we'd dump Marrone tomorrow like the Browns are dumping Chud, and then throw money at the Chin until he agrees to save us from another 14 years in the NFL wilderness - https://www.facebook...CowherToBuffalo

But this isn't a perfect world, so we're probably looking at 1.5 more years of mediocrity followed by bringing in Romeo Crennel as our new coach.

Doomed.

The Bills tried talking with Cowher before they hired Buddy Nix, and he obviously didn't take the job for several reasons.

Sometime after the interview with the Bills FO Cowher stated in the media if he were to return to the NFL it would be to a team with an already established decent starting QB, as it took him so long to finally get Big Ben in Pittsburgh. Then you would have to think if he won a power struggle in Pitt with the then GM Tom Donahoe, that Cowher would want control over personnel decisions in his next team.

So, its not just the 8 mill required to snatch the guy away from his 3+ mill a year TV gig. Besides, this current Buffalo Bills owner would NEVER, EVER pay 8 mill for a HC.

To those that think Cowher is underrated. Just look at the history of the Steelers winning under Cowher from 1992 to 2006 with so many complete scrubs at QB for so many years. In his 15 years with Pitt Cowher had only 3 losing seasons with a .623 % He is the anti Buffalo. 9 division titles. Big Ben didn't get drafted until 2004.

BTW, Dick LeBeau didn't become the Steelers DC until 2004, Cowhers last year as HC was in 2006.

With a top NFL HC like Cowher running this team since 2010 I could easily see the Buffalo Bills winning the division the last two years.

The longer Cowher is out of coaching the less likely it is for him to return. He's got a pretty good in-studio gig right now with CBS. Not a lot of travel, much less stress, and a lot less demanding of his time than an NFL head coaching position. I'm not clear why a guy in his position, considering he's already achieved the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl, would be interested in any NFL head coaching job right now considering the demands of the job.

As for Marrone, I think its a way too early after just one season to conclude the guy doesn't have what it takes to be a successful head coach. The problem we as Bills fans have, me included, is that after 14 seasons of not sniffing the playoffs we've become understandably impatient. We've been patient for the entire 21st century and have gotten nothing to show for that, we want to see some results ASAP. And if we start to get that Groundhog Day sense that we've seen this before then all the alarms start going off.

I understand the OP's point of view but I believe the team and staff has a different 'feel' at the end of this season and I expect Marrone is going to assess the season, learn from what worked and what didn't, then make some changes, and deliver.

Marrone sucks, right? I mean he came into an ideal situation and screwed it up. Buffalo has an elite QB, years of great drafts that have built depth, great playmakers on the outside and a TE who's a matchup nightmare for defenses. He came into a situation where winning was the norm, a perennial playoff team. The coordinators basically were head coaches in waiting. Our GM has been around the block and has brought in quality free agents for years. Basically all he had to do was just get out of the way and he couldn't even do that. What a buffoon.

What about Jimmie Johnson? He has a couple super bowl rings from the nineties. He also coached the Miami Hurricanes when they were unstoppable.

The Bills should go after him. Also, Ditka is available too.

Why doesn't anyone on this board ever ask for these guys? :w00t::blink:

Doomed.

In all honesty, Cowher should stay right where he is... I think he would be as successful as Mike Shanahan if he came back.

I'm fine with keeping Marrone,... there's no reason that he shouldn't be able to keep building. This team IS better than last year and will be better next year. We'll see lots of growth from first year players, coaches and schemes...

Wow, now that's a b**ch slap...

Edited by cage

You have to help me understand as to why we always have to give everyone 3 years? Idk maybe it's just me but that 3 year rule thing hasn't worked for us in the last 14yrs. There's enough talent on this team and I don't believe that the players are totally being used effectively. Mainly on offense.

In. Marrones case I think he is still cutting his NFL coaching teeth. This roster is far from bereft of talent but its still not set. If you don't want to give him 3 seasons that's fine.lord knows I don't want another losing season either but this off season is absolutely crucial. Let's see come august if he's done what he has to to get this team ready for a playoff run. If not much has happened or not enough than you know Ralphie boy us still holding the puppet strings.this fan base is tired of all the horse puckey.