CJ "outta bounds" spiller

coastalpika

Fair enough & I'll agree to disagree. Watch tape of Spiller this year. He played hard & played with one of the worst injuries a rb can have.

I know this, and for this reason I argued in his favor many times. I do, however, think that if the injury is holding you back that much you have to sit out the games until you're in good enough health.

You can't be tentative in the NFL. This isn't Jerry Rice getting the first down by a good margin and stepping out of bounds. This is running out of bounds on 2nd and 9 when you've gained three.

But yes, agree to disagree. I very much want the guy to succeed and hope he'll give his all next season. He has big money riding on it.

I'm sure the pounding influenced his decision. Check out Earl Campbell now a days. He can barely walk.

And did I miss the part where Spiller gained 100 yards today?

I'm not criticizing Spiller, just I think you are wrong with your reasoning on Browns early retirement. Not trying to start an argument.

Disagree. Watch Jim Brown run over guys half his size. Look to how long his playing career well into his 30s. Oh wait!

Only in Buffalo do we criticize a guy who averages 5 ypc for his CAREER! Sometimes I wish guys like Spiller & Stevie left the Bills & would finally get appreciate like the really good players they are.

YPC is irrelevant when he has one long run and then gets stuffed for most of the rest. He's not consistent, and puts them in 2nd and long way too much.

If you want to criticize Spiller, at least do if after he has a poor game. He ran very well today.

If you want to criticize someone today, how about Kiko - was clearly overmatched today, again.

Conversely, if you want to champion Spiller, do it after he takes over a game that we win. The number of times he has done so in the past year, you can count on one hand.

I saw LeGarrette Blount do that today. Spiller had a pretty good game, nothing more.

If you want to criticize Spiller, at least do if after he has a poor game. He ran very well today.

If you want to criticize someone today, how about Kiko - was clearly overmatched today, again.

I agree with this....but Spiller did miss some wide open holes today!

Agree on Alonso he over pursued all game and could not shed a block to save his life

If Alonzo is getting blocked by linemen, then the D line isn't doing their job neutralizing them so Alonzo can fill the gaps.

there are 5 offensive linemen plus TE, we have a 3 man front, 4 if you count Mario Williams. Linebackers need to either shed the block of the lineman or avoid it. That's how you play the game. And he was blocked by FB's a few times as well. I know it's hard for Bills fans to admit, but he has played poorly as of late.

CJ had a good game yet someone thought that he should start a thread to single the guy out.

The guy has had a high ankle sprain most of the season and he is criticized for gutting it out rather than complimenting him for trying to help the team.

A high ankle sprain will affect anyone's game -- especially a RB like CJ. A running back playing with a high ankle sprain is the opposite of being a slacker.

CJ is a great player and a great teammate. I have to hand it to both CJ and Fred for both being great running backs and teammates for this team. CJ is just about the least of our worries.

I can't discount all this, but Freddie is playing with broken ribs and has also had injuries all year. These two players are a pretty good indication of why the Bills are so close, yet so far away. One doesn't have all the talent in the world but puts forth all the effort and uses the gifts he has. The other has all the talent in the world and packs it in when he doesn't feel it matters.

If you feel you can't be relied on, sit out. If you want to play, play. Anything else is a disservice to your teammates.

I would never argue that CJ isn't tough. But I do think he doesn't have desire, and that is the kind of intangible that teammates respond to - both when it's there, and when it isn't.

95% (If not more) of all other RBs would have sat out several weeks, even longer than a month a lot of times easily, with a high ankle sprain. Spiller played on it until the COACH made him sit ONE game. Anyone questioning his desire is foolish and has no idea the pain he had to endure to play through it which also prevents it from healing. Spiller earned a LOT of respect for that, unfortunately too many people who have no idea about what it's like to actually play football...more importantly...play a position where you are paid to be hit constantly for a living by 300 LB guys who can run a 5 sec 40 or faster and bench 400+ lbs more times than you people can put up 100lbs...like to criticize him for going out of bounds when needed in a meaningless game.

Most importantly, I would bet large sums of money that both the training staff and coaching staff have ordered him to do so while he's been playing hurt and the season was essentially out of reach a really long time ago

95% (If not more) of all other RBs would have sat out several weeks, even longer than a month a lot of times easily, with a high ankle sprain. Spiller played on it until the COACH made him sit ONE game. Anyone questioning his desire is foolish and has no idea the pain he had to endure to play through it which also prevents it from healing. Spiller earned a LOT of respect for that, unfortunately too many people who have no idea about what it's like to actually play football...more importantly...play a position where you are paid to be hit constantly for a living by 300 LB guys who can run a 5 sec 40 or faster and bench 400+ lbs more times than you people can put up 100lbs...like to criticize him for going out of bounds when needed in a meaningless game.

Most importantly, I would bet large sums of money that both the training staff and coaching staff have ordered him to do so while he's been playing hurt and the season was essentially out of reach a really long time ago

Well said!

That may be the case, but I'll just say: I can't imagine Fred Jackson or Eric Wood or even Leodis McKelvin would tell you that this was a meaningless game. You get one chance a year to beat NE in their house, and they haven't done it in more than a decade.

Maybe it's as simple as the staff telling him, "hey, stay healthy, we need you next year." Fine. Sad, but fine. I disagree with that stance, but it's reasonable.

I expect big things next year. Little lapses in effort and concentration coupled with the normal growing pains associated with young players will kill you.

I'll let it pass today, but I wouldn't be so kind if we're staring at the same situation next season.

when a guy sees his teammate giving himself up - leaving everything he has out on the field - it's inspiring. it's what the game's about. sure, sometime's a cute play will widen your eyes and have you cheer, but it's the play that ends with all the gears grinding, over-heating and smoking that makes you want to hit somebody. CJ will never inspire his teammates like Freddie, but as somebody already said, these guys are the least of our worries.

I was surrounded by a bunch of crazy people that just watched their Cincinnati bengals go to the playoffs again this season. These people suffered for decades watching the bungles.. They know their football and they were more pissed off then I was when they saw it. L

Of course they were more pissed. Bengals get the 2nd seed if we beat NE*. We get... to feel a little less frustrated about the season?

Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Nice...My new favorite tag for CJ after today's game. How true.....

As far as I am concerned your entire take on CJ Spiller is dead nuts on target. I agree completely.

Disappointing for a man with his talent level.

Edited by PolishDave

AD7, one other thing. If the staff is telling him to play, but to take it easy on himself, that's monumentally stupid of them. If they are that concerned about the injury, they should hold him out, period. They did it with EJ.

This is the worst argument ever! Jerry Sullivan is all over this and that is how I know it is so bad. When he ran out of bounds on a negative play when we were killing clock it was pretty dumb and that is what started this IMO. But going out of bounds after a 15 yard gain when a safety and a Cb are coming at you is just the way small fast RBs play. He isnt Fred and he isnt AP.