A positive re: Thad Lewis

dave mcbride

This is a tough one, really. I think Lewis is a very capable backup, but he does have his limitations. But that's the thing about backup QBs -- they're backups for a reason. They usually have limitations that prevent them from being quality starters.

The things I like about Thad are that (1) he seems to play with confidence, and is not afraid to sling it around, (2) he is mobile, and can get himself out of trouble with his legs, and (3) the guys on the team really seem like they respect him and rally around him.

His accuracy is a problem, but that doesn't really surprise me given how little he has played in his career to this point. I do think that if he was pressed into action for an extended period, his accuracy would improve.

I'm comfortable with Lewis as the primary backup next year, with the chance that Tuel improves gradually to the point of replacing him. But I also wouldn't be grief stricken if the Bills go out and nab a veteran backup.

As an aside, I thought it was grand how Sully claimed Lewis was "turnover-prone", and then proceeded to suggest Schaub as a replacement. He of 12 INTs in 10 games, a handful of which were pick 6s.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing he does, pass the football all over the field. There is no where he will not go put the ball and he makes good progress in his checks. Lewis is very effective at making the most of the field in front of him and unlike many QB's he will attempt to go there even if he cannot.

Agreed. And there's no urgency to find a starter either, in spite of what fans think.

Is it really that black and white? We need a "starting QB." If that is Thad, EJ, ____. We need a QB who is top 12.

I'm not saying don't take a qb. I'm just saying that he looks like a good long term backup (2nd string, never first string and never 3rd string). If a guy they really like is there in the third, they should take him and make him the third stringer (with the potential to be more, of course).

I would NEVER draft any QB in ANY round to be a 3rd string QB. Its a wasted pick. Literally.

But good post regarding Thad

Edited by bobobonators

Thad Lewis have proven he's an above average backup.

Our problem is first string. Why are we debating who our backup is when the future of the most important position in football is 50-50 at best? I'll keep beating this drum: Draft a quarterback, let him and Manuel duke it out, and sell the loser of the battle for a draft pick in two years.

I don't understand why this shouldn't be conventional wisdom, given the importance of the position, the ambiguity Manuel has caused, and, I don't know, the fact this team hasn't been in the playoffs for 14 freaking years because we haven't had a viable quarterback? It's so obvious, it's painful.

Our problem is first string. Why are we debating who our backup is when the future of the most important position in football is 50-50 at best? I'll keep beating this drum: Draft a quarterback, let him and Manuel duke it out, and sell the loser of the battle for a draft pick in two years.

I don't understand why this shouldn't be conventional wisdom, given the importance of the position, the ambiguity Manuel has caused, and, I don't know, the fact this team hasn't been in the playoffs for 14 freaking years because we haven't had a viable quarterback? It's so obvious, it's painful.

I would have few complaints drafting a QB first 2 rounds. I wouldnt be clicking my heels, but i would understand it. New rookie salary scale makes this very possible too.

I would have few complaints drafting a QB first 2 rounds. I wouldnt be clicking my heels, but i would understand it. New rookie salary scale makes this very possible too.

I think fans should be pissed come April if the Bills don't draft a quarterback in the first round. It shouldn't be an "if" but why the !@#$ not. If Manuel doesn't pan out next season, which in my opinion is likely, then we have to draft another quarterback in two years. This either or, linear, all your eggs in one basket mindset has to stop. Two options should be a no-brainer.

Usually it takes two years for one to pan out. That's three years before we think about making the playoffs. AND if HE doesn't pan out either? We're talking five years! I'll have co-workers by then who weren't even alive when the Bills made it to the last wildcard.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

I think fans should be pissed come April if the Bills don't draft a quarterback in the first round. It shouldn't be an "if" but why the !@#$ not. If Manuel doesn't pan out next season, which in my opinion is likely, then we have to draft another quarterback in two years. This either or, linear, all your eggs in one basket mindset has to stop. Two options should be a no-brainer.

Usually it takes two years for one to pan out. That's three years before we think about making the playoffs. AND if HE doesn't pan out either? We're talking five years! I'll have co-workers by then who weren't even alive when the Bills made it to the last wildcard.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

Thad does seem quick... because his reads are often limited to one side of the field. Same with EJ, it's one read, don't turn your head, and then just don't make a turnover. That's what frustrates me about this offense, although I don't think EJ or Lewis are the "answer", they don't even have the chance to perform at a high level. Everything about Marrone is so painfully conservative, except for the DC he had to hire where he didn't have connections.

Thad has shown a lot for someone who came in early in the season and did not have the benefit of training camp. He is a smart guy with a good skill set; I am much more confident of him as a backup next year after he goes through camp than I am of EJ as a starter.

Exactly!

Yes, Thad can be a decent backup. I imagine, Tuel can as well. So can a dozen other guys. Who cares. This team needs a real NFL starting QB. Period. Every position on this team is good enough to compete right now; sure we can upgrade several spots and players. But, until you get a top tier QB, none of it matters.

The FO should have one priority... get a QB. I don't care if they draft one with every pick and sign a dozen FAs. Find a QB. There's one thing that's apparent if you watch any football - without a good, consistent QB, you're an average to below average team. Is EJ the guy? After a year of ups and downs, ins and outs, I find it hard to know. So, bring 'em all in and find one.

Thad has shown a lot for someone who came in early in the season and did not have the benefit of training camp. He is a smart guy with a good skill set; I am much more confident of him as a backup next year after he goes through camp than I am of EJ as a starter.

At this point in time i have about the same amount of confidence in Thad to start the game as i do in EJ. Dunno if thats a bad reflection on EJ or good reflection on Thad, or a little of both.

As far as I could tell, he made all of the right calls and reads against Miami. He wasn't late getting to the line, and he seemed to act decisively even if the throws were inaccurate. he was elusive enough too.He obviously has limitations, but if you're looking for a guy who can come in in a pinch and effectively manage games while leading the team 17-24 points with only one or two turnovers, he fits the bill. He seems to have a reasonably strong arm too. Contra Jerry Sullivan, I'm fine with him as a long term backup. Is he any worse than what passes for backup qbs across the league? Is Matt Moore any better than him? I suppose a few are better (Matt Cassell, Kyle Orton, maybe Kirk Cousins), but he's hardly a bottom tier backup. Also, smart guys like him tend to get slightly better over time, and I like the fact that he slings it. What you want from a backup qb is a guy who gives you a chance to play .500 ball while the starter is down, and he did that this season. One of the two losses was in OT against a playoff team, and in fact every team he played has a winning record (Miami, NO, and the Bengals).

I agree

if Thad plays well vs the Pats I think we focus on getting the Oline upgraded, which would help both Freddie ( who is my starter at RB) and CJ

I like Thad because if he sees it , he throws it. No hesitation.

EJ sometimes does it.

I agree

if Thad plays well vs the Pats I think we focus on getting the Oline upgraded, which would help both Freddie ( who is my starter at RB) and CJ

I like Thad because if he sees it , he throws it. No hesitation.

EJ sometimes does it.

I agree; he has his faults but seems to bring some "life" into the offense that is lacking when EJ is out there. He is green, but seems to have command of the offense when he is out there, which is something that cannot be taught. If he plays this weekend, he will have had 5 regular season games of experience; combine that with a full camp next summer and the least that you get is a solid backup. Even if EJ is the starter, Marrone should consider using him to run the wildcat in certain situations next year.

Thad does seem quick... because his reads are often limited to one side of the field. Same with EJ, it's one read, don't turn your head, and then just don't make a turnover. That's what frustrates me about this offense, although I don't think EJ or Lewis are the "answer", they don't even have the chance to perform at a high level. Everything about Marrone is so painfully conservative, except for the DC he had to hire where he didn't have connections.

His reads are often limited to one side of the field? Really? Which side and why? In what down/distance and against what fronts? With what personnel?

One read and don't turn your head? You must be an OC or QB coach to be imparting such wisdom.

GO BILLS!!!

His reads are often limited to one side of the field? Really? Which side and why? In what down/distance and against what fronts? With what personnel?

One read and don't turn your head? You must be an OC or QB coach to be imparting such wisdom.

GO BILLS!!!

You really disproved that take with your shoutdown. Nicely done! :thumbsup:

I agree with Sullivan 100%. At this point Lewis is a marginal NFL backup. If the Bills work with him then he may develop into a solid backup in a couple of years. If they want a good backup next season then they should bring in a FA and bump Lewis to #3. Also, a veteran QB on the roster certainly couldn't hurt Manuel's development.

I agree with Sullivan 100%. At this point Lewis is a marginal NFL backup. If the Bills work with him then he may develop into a solid backup in a couple of years. If they want a good backup next season then they should bring in a FA and bump Lewis to #3. Also, a veteran QB on the roster certainly couldn't hurt Manuel's development.

Please name 5 2013 week one backups that are "good."