Hate to say it..... (QB situation)

Though I generally agree with that, I think that comparing base QBRs is a tad deceiving.

Though the sample size is small, Thad has shown himself to be relatively consistent. 4 games, 3 games with QBRs 67.6, 72.0, 77.8.....and one game 100.5.

EJ IMO has shown that he is far less consistent than Thad having shown results that are both horrible, and very good. EJ's bad games result in QBRs of 31.2, 48.9 & 63.5.....but his good games result in QBRs of 121.9, 105.5, 105.0.......with the rest ranging throughout with QBRs of 89.3, 86.7, 74.8 & 71.8.

So we have two QBs who are playing relatively poorly(both near 78 QBR). One of those QBs typically produces in a game at around that base level(Thad)......while the other QB can perform horribly in any given game, but also can far more regularly be very good(or better than the base level).

These are all just stats......and really mean nothing.....but they do IMO represent the differences between the two QBs at this point in time, at least in my eyes.

Yeah, I made this point last week in a post. Thad is more consistent but his level of consistency isn't really that high. If EJ can start putting it together he's shown me some things that lead me to believe he can be good. When he struggles it's when he's not playing confidently and he's rushing things because the game is moving much too fast for him. That's when his footwork breaks down and when his accuracy really suffers. This will - hopefully - only get better with experience.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only smart thing to do is pick a qb if you think someone who might be better than Manuel is available. Hurting anyone's feelings is not an issue.

I remain very unimpressed with EJ's accuracy, although I like his decision-making.

I also believe that Geno has way more upside. Very accurate but bad decisions. Easier to get better with decisions than accuracy.

Only smart thing to do is pick a qb if you think someone who might be better than Manuel is available. Hurting anyone's feelings is not an issue.

I remain very unimpressed with EJ's accuracy, although I like his decision-making.

I also believe that Geno has way more upside. Very accurate but bad decisions. Easier to get better with decisions than accuracy.

Decision making, like checkdowns every play? I'm surprised to hear that's what you like.

Certainly a minority opinion re Geno, at least around here...but one that could very well prove true IMO.

I agree that Geno has more "upside", just because his flaws are historically more fixable. He can make all the throws, and has a great release. Accuracy isn't great, but good enough to work with. But, he is brutally bad at reading defenses and makes terrible decisions, and his footwork is a major problem that still looks as bad as when he was drafted.

Although, I really wouldn't want either QB.

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

Most of us probably don't have such connections. I would base it on past NFL history. Most teams do not draft 1st round QB's in consecutive years. There may be the odd example of a team doing this, but barring major injury it just doesn't happen. There are many reasons. In a nutshell, QB's generally take a couple years to hit their stride and given the importance of the position + the 1st round pick teams want to be sure before they cut a guy loose. Favre, anyone? The new CBA allows for very little practice time, hardly enough to develop one guy. Couple that with a long standing NFL culture that dictates there be ONLY 1 starting QB, and logic says the Bills don't start a revolution here. If EJM is healthy, he will be given at least 2014, and the Bills will address a different area of need such as a stud WR or perhaps another top LB. My gut says the 1st rounder goes to the Offense, but that depends which guy is there when they pick. Alonso was a 2nd rounder, so they could wait for an LB there. It's too early to tell. But short of catastrophic injury, a QB will not be drafted high (before the 3rd or 4th round) in 2014. If a proven veteran QB became available, the Bills may act on it. They tried very hard to get Alex Smith last offseason.

I keep reading that the Bills pursued Alex Smith but I don't recall this. Anybody have proof?

Was this forum in existence during the Flutie versus Johnson debates? I'm sure the Thad versus EJ debates pale in comparison, but they are beginning to get pretty animated!

If we ramp it up we can have a full blown QB controversy by the weekend.

Thad makes all the plays EJ was supposed to make.

I keep reading that the Bills pursued Alex Smith but I don't recall this. Anybody have proof?

Can't recall which outlet (probably more than one) but at the time it was reported that the A, Smith trade came down to Bills and KC. The Bills offered two draft picks as KC has a higher draft slot than Buffalo's. The Bills were the only team that offered 2 picks and KC was forced to do the same to make the deal. SF went with KC's 2 picks due to the higher slot. Even after the Bills first interview (Whisenhunt, I think) the report at the time was that one of the questions he was asked by Bills was "can you work with Alex Smith?". They tried and came up short, probably didn't think KC would give 2 picks.

Thad throws deep 7 times in a row against the Dolphins. Connects on one for 50 yards. Our run game works perfectly after that for the rest of the game. Coincidence? I think not.

The Bills ran effectively in the first game @ MIA. Thad/ passing game was largely ineffective. Most NFL games are more about matchups than anything else. The Bills Oline matches up well vs MIA. Not so well vs others.

Was this forum in existence during the Flutie versus Johnson debates? I'm sure the Thad versus EJ debates pale in comparison, but they are beginning to get pretty animated!

Yes, it was. That was a real controversy. EJM/ Thad really isn't. RJ was injured, Flutie came in and the team went on a winning streak. You really couldn't take him out as he was so effective. TL was OK. He was NOT the reason they won the game. There really is no parallel between Flutie/Johnson and ,well It's so unworthy of discussion I hesitate to give this a name. EJM/TL have been about the same. I'd say a slight edge to EJM. If he cannot put major distance between himself and TL in 2014, I'd say ditch them both and start over as neither is good enough. TL looks about as good as he is capable of being. EJM looks to have way more physical ability, the hope would be he can get a lot better.

Yes, it was. That was a real controversy. EJM/ Thad really isn't. RJ was injured, Flutie came in and the team went on a winning streak. You really couldn't take him out as he was so effective. TL was OK. He was NOT the reason they won the game. There really is no parallel between Flutie/Johnson and ,well It's so unworthy of discussion I hesitate to give this a name. EJM/TL have been about the same. I'd say a slight edge to EJM. If he cannot put major distance between himself and TL in 2014, I'd say ditch them both and start over as neither is good enough. TL looks about as good as he is capable of being. EJM looks to have way more physical ability, the hope would be he can get a lot better.

And scene

Thanks for the response, and I agree with your summary. I predict the draft in 2014 will concentrate on other positions of need, and the team will go forward in 2014 with the same two QBs. Maybe a late round flyer, a UDFA, or a relatively inexpensive vet will be brought in to make camp interesting, but I doubt anybody will unseat EJ and Thad as the 1-2 combo for next season. I also predict that it will be the draft in the spring of 2015 that will be the next chance for a QB in the early rounds if nobody steps up and shows that he is the man going forward.

Decision making, like checkdowns every play? I'm surprised to hear that's what you like.

Where did I say I like dheck downs? I can't seem to find it.

What I meant, that you apparently did not understand by my comment, is that Manuel is pretty good at not making the big mistake, a very nice quality for a QB.

In that case, can we off-load the crappy O.C.??? EJ needs a coach to teach him how to protect the ball, protect his receivers, and protect HIMSELF. Given the season's outcomes I'm not sure Hackett can do any of that.

Edited by #34fan