The NFL is afraid of snow

Just Jack

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in NJ a little snow IS a big problem.

Moreover, most of the fans will be staying in Manhattan and then take shuttles to Metlife Stadium in NJ to see the game. If it snows or they get freezing rain how are the thousands of fans going to get from NYC to the Meadowlands?

I don't think so....minor snowfalls are only a problem because on weekdays the roads are already jammed to capacity. Clearing the highways on a Sunday is not a big deal. Fans in Manhattan would still easily take the trains/buses over to the Meadowlands.

When the forecast calls for snow in NY/NJ metro area you'll see the first ten minutes of the local news devoted to stories about the impending storm focusing on the forecast, the preparations of local towns and cities, and interviews with individuals they can find (usually at the store buying shovels and salt). The supermarkets are total choas the night before, people emptying the shelves of all the bread, milk, and eggs in the store. Why they don't have enough food at home already for one day is never questioned nor is what appears to be a local traditonal of eating eggs and drinking milk when it snows.

Living in NJ and being from WNY, it's a constant source of entertainment and humor for me. This all for what usually amounts to 3 or 4 inches of snow. And since most drivers don't understand the concept of altering their driving behavior to align with the road and weather conditions there are usually a lot of accidents.

I suspect they'll have a significant snow removal force assembled for the SuperBowl but if its a lot of snow it might be a problem. And nothing much they can do about the cold temperatures.

The media overreaction to every minor weather event is just ridiculous these days. I guess they need something to talk about.

Super Bowl on a saturday would be AWESOME

Exact words I was thinking! That said, why the hell would you schedule it in a northern domeless city in the first place?

Your thread title is misleading. A little snow is not the problem. It's a major storm that disrupts local travel and makes it unsafe or impractical for fans to get to the stadium that they are concerned about, and rightly so.

Doesn't this happen in other cities every weekend in December? No more people at the Super Bowl than regular games.

They care about their image, they care about all the corporate parties and game goers. This has nothing to do with fans.

Of course. But changing the date of the game at the last minute isn't going to help their image much so it won't happen unless there is a real issue with travel safety.

For all the hype, major snowstorms in the NYC area are still pretty infrequent.

The idea of this Super Bowl had nothing to do with the weather, it had to do with the fact that they wanted it in NYC (in reality NJ). If they had their way they'd make it 80 and sunny for the game.

It's going to be 60 this weekend, so you never know!

They should have thought of that before they put the game IN NEW YORK IN FEBRUARY.

Suck it up, idiots.

No matter where they play, it's during the winter season and there will be a weather risk. Look at the fiasco in Atlanta a few years ago. Domed Stadium, southern climate, no worries BUT then the ice storm hit.

If winter is that big of a deal either move to the Southern Hemisphere or move the season to the summer and drive MLB out of business.

No matter where they play, it's during the winter season and there will be a weather risk. Look at the fiasco in Atlanta a few years ago. Domed Stadium, southern climate, no worries BUT then the ice storm hit.

Super Bowl XXVI, the Bills had problems getting to the Metrodome because of the weather.

Them not allowing tailgating is just as bad. Send the tailgators to New Jersey. It is right there and should something terrible happen nothing of importance would be lost.

If tailgating was allowed, they would likely be in New Jersey already since, you know, that's where the game is being played.

I hope it snows, not too much but just enough to make it interesting.

If I were commissioner I would rotate the Super Bowl through every city in the league, including Buffalo. It would be a chance for each city to put its best foot forward and reward the fans in each city. If your city supports an NFL team it deserves a shot. Corporate elites will turn up and I bet some cities would beat people's expectations.

When the forecast calls for snow in NY/NJ metro area you'll see the first ten minutes of the local news devoted to stories about the impending storm focusing on the forecast, the preparations of local towns and cities, and interviews with individuals they can find (usually at the store buying shovels and salt). The supermarkets are total choas the night before, people emptying the shelves of all the bread, milk, and eggs in the store. Why they don't have enough food at home already for one day is never questioned nor is what appears to be a local traditonal of eating eggs and drinking milk when it snows.

Living in NJ and being from WNY, it's a constant source of entertainment and humor for me. This all for what usually amounts to 3 or 4 inches of snow. And since most drivers don't understand the concept of altering their driving behavior to align with the road and weather conditions there are usually a lot of accidents.

I suspect they'll have a significant snow removal force assembled for the SuperBowl but if its a lot of snow it might be a problem. And nothing much they can do about the cold temperatures.

I hear you. I think it is the shear number of people/population that makes the problem.

I hope it snows, not too much but just enough to make it interesting.

If I were commissioner I would rotate the Super Bowl through every city in the league, including Buffalo. It would be a chance for each city to put its best foot forward and reward the fans in each city. If your city supports an NFL team it deserves a shot. Corporate elites will turn up and I bet some cities would beat people's expectations.

A superbowl ... in Buffalo ... in February ... with no dome. No way in hell. And that's not even mentioning not enough hotel rooms and 5 star establishments for the rich people to party in.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Where there is a will.

Would the belief that a Super Bowl is on the horizon (say five years out) move local authorities into action. I'm not from Buffalo but I keep reading about developing the waterfront, new stadiums and potential sites.

Logistical problems could be solved, it won't be perfect but my point is that the areas fans deserve the chance to host.

I suppose the host city could decline and admit they are not big league.

As for the snow and cold, the CFL used to play all of the Grey Cups indoors and then started to rotate the game into some freezing places and the game has always worked....especially for the fans, they love it. Whiny reporters who want a free trip to San Diego every year, that is a different story.

Not just Buffalo but think of all the other places the NFL extracts money from without the potential payoff a Super Bowl would bring.

Since the Super Bowl is already a joke, I am okay with this.

Oh hell yea. I hope its a historic blizzard. That'd give us a reason to watch a game that is so overly-hyped that it doesn't stand a chance otherwise.

Bring on the snow baby. Throw-back game !

• 1 month later...

Since we're a week away....

Super Bowl Monday? NFL has backup plans in case of bad weather

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/01/23/weather-threatens-super-bowl-sunday/25625/

League official talks snowy Super Bowl; fan gift bag contents all about keeping warm

http://www.northjersey.com/eastrutherford/241526351_League_official_talks_snowy_Super_Bowl__fan_gift_bag_contents_all_about_keeping_warm.html?page=all