U.S. teens smoke more marijuana, but back off other drugs -survey

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you right now that I work with addicts everyday, 90% of them are in recovery for an opiate addiction that started out with smoking weed, drinking alcohol and then it leads to the harder stuff. i can count on one hand the amount of addicts I've met in the last 3 years that jumped right into an opiate or cocaine addiction without smoking weed beforehand.

And most of them have eaten Wonderbread, smoked a cigarette, had a beer, etc. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

EVERY SINGLE new experience leads to the possibility of drug addiction. It's a life thing. Marijuana isn't anymore a gateway drug than anything else, with the exception that the United States Government decided to go after it in campaign style. I've never met ANYONE who didn't smoke a cigarette and have an alcoholic drink before they smoked pot. But I guess since those two have been deemed legal by the "controllers" and are gazillion dollar industries, they're ok.

I know you're not saying that - I really do. But I'm so tired of the demonization of pot because on the list of societal problems, it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down the list.

I can tell you right now that I work with addicts everyday, 90% of them are in recovery for an opiate addiction that started out with smoking weed, drinking alcohol and then it leads to the harder stuff. i can count on one hand the amount of addicts I've met in the last 3 years that jumped right into an opiate or cocaine addiction without smoking weed beforehand.

More telling is the number of people who smoke weed and DON'T become addicted to opiates.

you ever have anything useful to add to a discussion besides throwing insults?

That's not an insult as much as an observation: as a dumbass pothead advocating pot, you are your own counter-argument.

More telling is the number of people who smoke weed and DON'T become addicted to opiates.

That's not an insult as much as an observation: as a dumbass pothead advocating pot, you are your own counter-argument.

After smoking a tasty bowl of euphoria and pondering the situation a bit, and as much as it disgusts me to admit,

I'm compelled to agree with you...

After smoking a tasty bowl of euphoria and pondering the situation a bit, and as much as it disgusts me to admit,

I'm compelled to agree with you...

:lol: You may be a dumbass, but you're a dumbass with a sense of humor about being a dumbass, and I can respect that.

Legalize it. Pretty effing stupid to ignore that HUGE stream of revenue the US govt should be taking advantage of IMO.

no offense, but I want to scream every time someone follows 'legalize it' up with 'and tax it'. we really need to get away from the concept of finding new 'revenue streams' for these blood-sucking parasites. the feds raked in approximately two trillion, eight hundred billion dollars in 2012. that is more than enough. way more, imo.

in fact, it was by way of taxation that marijuana was made illegal in the first place. the feds required that anyone selling marijuana acquire a stamp to affix to the bale, the cost of that stamp being the tax. then they simply never made any of the stamps, so no one could sell it. I believe the Nixon administration were responsible for classifying it as a controlled substance.

True, tax it "if" the government could pay the underpaid teachers or myriads of other issues that the money in essence should go to.

Detroit is bankrupt....open a grow facility there.......employ some folks make some money.

Detroit...world home of the automobile...reduced to growing pot.

If that ain't a metaphor for the American experience, I don't know what is.

Detroit...world home of the automobile...reduced to growing pot.

If that ain't a metaphor for the American experience, I don't know what is.

they won't grow any weed there because between the growers unionizing and the government taxing it, we'd all soon be buying the less-expensive, higher potency Japanese marijuana.

Its not just the taxing of weed that could help this country's sluggish economy, its jobs created in the farming industry, marketing and distribution.

The legalization of marijuana is a big step towards reducing the amount of people in the US that struggle with alcohol addiction in my opinion. The more readily available marijuana becomes, the more people are going to try it and make the cross over from alcoholic beverages to Pot. I'm not saying its for everybody because I have close friends who have tried pot and still prefer to drink. Pot makes you mellow, less confrontational, more willing to just sit back and relax, play a video game, or listen to music vs stepping behind the wheel of an automobile. A good reason why in my opinion the study on states that have approved marijuana for medical purposes have seen a drop in fatalities from automobile accidents. When you get high on marijuana most people simply don't want to drive, it ruins your buzz.

God made grass, man made liquor... :flirt:

Its not just the taxing of weed that could help this country's sluggish economy, its jobs created in the farming industry, marketing and distribution.

The legalization of marijuana is a big step towards reducing the amount of people in the US that struggle with alcohol addiction in my opinion. The more readily available marijuana becomes, the more people are going to try it and make the cross over from alcoholic beverages to Pot. I'm not saying its for everybody because I have close friends who have tried pot and still prefer to drink. Pot makes you mellow, less confrontational, more willing to just sit back and relax, play a video game, or listen to music vs stepping behind the wheel of an automobile. A good reason why in my opinion the study on states that have approved marijuana for medical purposes have seen a drop in fatalities from automobile accidents. When you get high on marijuana most people simply don't want to drive, it ruins your buzz.

But, does it make you look for a job?

A weed that is easy to grow can't really be taxed for a large amount of revenue. If taxes are even slightly high the underground grower could easily undersell stores. Don't stores in California sell seeds, starter plant and guides to grow already? Maybe it's too much for people to do, but I don't see pot taxes going as high as cigarette taxes.

A weed that is easy to grow can't really be taxed for a large amount of revenue. If taxes are even slightly high the underground grower could easily undersell stores. Don't stores in California sell seeds, starter plant and guides to grow already? Maybe it's too much for people to do, but I don't see pot taxes going as high as cigarette taxes.

When you're making more sense then others in a thread it's a scary freaking world.

Locking up the potheads helps the economy more. You have to hire police to arrest them, court officers to convict and defend them, prison guards and sheriffs to hold them. It also helps the contractors that build prisons as well as those that provide supplies for the prisons, and lets not forget the POs and drug testing labs who depend on court ordered testing for the bulk of their business. It also gets those lazy bastards off the street. The bottom line is that pot is bad for production. These bastards toke up and instead of producing they just lay around in their undies eating junk food and playing video games and watching Cartoon Network. This idle gluttony is bad for the economy and should not be tolerated.