U.S. teens smoke more marijuana, but back off other drugs -survey

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without actually reading the article, my take is that:

1. Alcohol is actually harder to get, it is harder to make fake IDs to get alcohol these days for underage drinkers, and stores are harder on selling to minors

2. Pot is extremely easy to get, even to everyone believing it would be easier if it were legal, it is crazy easy to get, and not that expensive either in reality, teens are not rich, most don't jobs anymore

3. Video games, easier to play video games high then drunk

4. Being stoned can last longer than drunk for the cash

5. Maybe drinking and driving has actually got into kids heads about how bad it is?

6. Wait until they have more money, they will try other things

LoL... That is what I was poking fun @.

Numbers? Stats? Links?

They have been saying this since the 1930's... There has to be some definative numbers out there?

I think common sense says they will try more things. I can find numbers, but I am at work and busy.

WIth less money kids are smoking that fake weed, doing bath salts, holding their breath, doing all sorts of other dumb and stupid crap.

All drugs are gateway drugs.

Without actually reading the article, my take is that:

1. Alcohol is actually harder to get, it is harder to make fake IDs to get alcohol these days for underage drinkers, and stores are harder on selling to minors

2. Pot is extremely easy to get, even to everyone believing it would be easier if it were legal, it is crazy easy to get, and not that expensive either in reality, teens are not rich, most don't jobs anymore

3. Video games, easier to play video games high then drunk

4. Being stoned can last longer than drunk for the cash

5. Maybe drinking and driving has actually got into kids heads about how bad it is?

6. Wait until they have more money, they will try other things

Those are the best points.

Hard drugs and, liquor for that matter, are very expensive. Look at how much beer costs these days.

I'd say it's more of an economics reason than teens being wiser.

If the teens had more money, they'd be buying the heavy stuff too.

Edited by Mark Vader

Hard drugs and, liquor for that matter, are very expensive. Look at how much beer costs these days.

Really? So you say teens would move to the heavy stuff like shooting up? I can see some, there are always some... But come on, how many people are gonna move from weed to sticking needles in their arms?

What is alcohol a gateway to?

have u priced good weed lately? lol, that's hilarious

Edited by dog14787

have u priced good weed lately? lol, that's hilarious

Divide whatever it is by 3 or 4 kids. It can still be inexpensive for teens IMO.

It is relatively expensive, but we get stuff we know is of decent quality and it does last me and the wife a while.

Good weed doesn't compare to a coke or opiate addiction and it's not even close.

I was laughing at the alcohol reference, which like weed, is readily available

some teens steal it for free right out of their parents liquor cabinet

Edited by dog14787

Really? So you say teens would move to the heavy stuff like shooting up? I can see some, there are always some... But come on, how many people are gonna move from weed to sticking needles in their arms?

What is alcohol a gateway to?

C'mon Exiled. I'm not saying every teenager would do that, but some would.

When I was in high school, I saw a good amount of teens get into drinking or do heavy drugs.

Teens do a lot of stupid things. Like experimenting with drugs, and that can lead to irresponsible behavior.

I can tell you right now that I work with addicts everyday, 90% of them are in recovery for an opiate addiction that started out with smoking weed, drinking alcohol and then it leads to the harder stuff. i can count on one hand the amount of addicts I've met in the last 3 years that jumped right into an opiate or cocaine addiction without smoking weed beforehand.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Good weed doesn't compare to a coke or opiate addiction and it's not even close.

Come on! What makes one move from weed to the other stuff? If people move on, it is because weed is illegal. Get your next fix of weed @ the local Circle K, and nobody moves on (well there are always some). Treat it like alcohol and weed becomes NOT a gateway.

You said all drugs are gateways... Where does alcohol lead people? And... You can't say pissing in the sinks @ The Ralph. ;-P ;-P

Ha. Teens smoking and drinking. Its always going to be going on. There are kids who smoke and kids who are potheads. There is a difference.

I'd much rather have a good beer before I'd think of lighting a joint. Much safer to drink beer

C'mon Exiled. I'm not saying every teenager would do that, but some would.

When I was in high school, I saw a good amount of teens get into drinking or do heavy drugs.

Teens do a lot of stupid things. Like experimenting with drugs, and that can lead to irresponsible behavior.

Yeah... But that happens to a lesser extent across the board. Make it legal, and (IMO), the experimenting slows down...

Come on! What makes one move from weed to the other stuff? If people move on, it is because weed is illegal. Get your next fix of weed @ the local Circle K, and nobody moves on (well there are always some). Treat it like alcohol and weed becomes NOT a gateway.

You said all drugs are gateways... Where does alcohol lead people? And... You can't say pissing in the sinks @ The Ralph. ;-P ;-P

Exiled, I know from experience. I'm a drug addict with 3 years sober and I started with weed, just like the hundreds of people I've worked with over that amount of time. People do not just start shooting up heroin, and smoking weed doesn't mean you'll eventually shoot up heroin either BUT those that shoot heroin most of the time start with alcohol or weed.

I can tell you right now that I work with addicts everyday, 90% of them are in recovery for an opiate addiction that started out with smoking weed, drinking alcohol and then it leads to the harder stuff. i can count on one hand the amount of addicts I've met in the last 3 years that jumped right into an opiate or cocaine addiction without smoking weed beforehand.

Isn't that always going to happen. So it seems alcohol IS a gateway drug, why isn't that illegal?