Its a passing league...right?

thewildrabbit

So, how did the 6-7 Chargers manage to beat the best team in the AFC?

Chargers vs. Broncos 2013 final score: San Diego controls clock in win, 27-20

Peyton Manning was kept off the field in a game the Chargers controlled offensively to keep their season alive.

http://www.sbnation....3-results-score

The lowly third place Chargers just knocked off the AFC West Division leaders that was the best team in the AFC at 11-2, and they manged to beat them in Denver!

A new San Diego coaching staff with new HC Mike McCoy who just happens to be the ex OC of last years Broncos.

I was rooting for the Broncos to win because I don't want the Patriots to get home field throughout the playoffs. Although, I just couldn't help but admire how the Chargers kept the ball away from Manning, and his high powered offense by playing ball control offense with the running game.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Although it is a passing league no doubt and the pass game is how you win most games, getting into a pass game shootout with the Broncos away from home is still unwise. So, old school away game against strong offensive team; play keep away with the run game. No conflict at all with the new NFL as a passing league.. the rules are set up to encourage passing and scoring. No doubt. Last night was an outlier.

SD won the game at the LOS and knew they could run the ball on Denver's D to control the game. Rivers made the right throws, and there you go. I think some of their success last night was a direct result of Mike McCoy's familiarity with Peyton and Denver's team as a whole. He exploited their weaknesses.

Let me tell ya, right now I am not sure the top five teams in the AFC want to have anything to do with the Chargers, or even the defending champion Ravens, in the playoffs.

That doesn't mean I think either team would win and go all the way, but they will provide some headaches for whichever team faces them.

Who gets that last playoff spot is really more interesting to me than who has home field advantage.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Peyton Manning was kept off the field in a game the Chargers controlled offensively to keep their season alive.

The lowly third place Chargers just knocked off the AFC West Division leaders that was the best team in the AFC at 11-2, and they manged to beat them in Denver!

A new San Diego coaching staff with new HC Mike McCoy who just happens to be the ex OC of last years Broncos.

I was rooting for the Broncos to win because I don't want the Patriots to get home field throughout the playoffs. Although, I just couldn't help but admire how the Chargers kept the ball away from Manning, and his high powered offense by playing ball control offense with the running game.

It was "Marty Ball" without Marty on the sidelines. Run the football and smack you in the mouth defense. :thumbsup:

Although it is a passing league no doubt and the pass game is how you win most games, getting into a pass game shootout with the Broncos away from home is still unwise. So, old school away game against strong offensive team; play keep away with the run game. No conflict at all with the new NFL as a passing league.. the rules are set up to encourage passing and scoring. No doubt. Last night was an outlier.

A passing league no doubt? Many think it is. But SD ran the ball on Denver's defense. Running led to the win. TV analysts highlighted a key player in that successful run offense, specifically, rookie right tackle D.J. Fluker, selected by SD in the first round of this last draft. It's not old school if it works and making it work means getting top offensive linemen early in the draft.

Buffalo could have that same type of offense if it would just commit to building that line. Such a line would help E.J., C.J., S.J., T.J., Freddy, Scotty, and Marquise. Cyrus Kouandjio, another Alabama tackle, is rumored about to declare for the draft and the consensus is that he is better than Fluker. Forget tall wr, te, olb and all the rest and get Kouandjio with that first rd. pick.

SD won the game at the LOS and knew they could run the ball on Denver's D to control the game. Rivers made the right throws, and there you go. I think some of their success last night was a direct result of Mike McCoy's familiarity with Peyton and Denver's team as a whole. He exploited their weaknesses.

Right, because their biggest weakness is not having Peyton playing for them.

It helps when the QB (Rivers) has a passer rating of 120.0. Rivers was terrific last night and made a bunch of great throws that sustained drives and led to TDs.

Edited by dave mcbride

It helps when the QB (Rivers) has a passer rating of 120.0. Rivers was terrific last night and made a bunch of great throws that sustained drives and led to TDs.

The runs kept the ball away from Denver and killed the clock in the second half. But the passes set up the scores.

I absolutely loved SD's gameplan last night and it showed that although the NFL Is most definitely a passing league these days, that it does not have to be. The number one defense to a high powered, score at will offense is to keep that offense off the field. The game last night reminded me alittle bit of Super Bowl 25 as Jimbo and the rest of the K-Gun offense sat on the sidelines most of the game

I absolutely loved SD's gameplan last night and it showed that although the NFL Is most definitely a passing league these days, that it does not have to be. The number one defense to a high powered, score at will offense is to keep that offense off the field. The game last night reminded me alittle bit of Super Bowl 25 as Jimbo and the rest of the K-Gun offense sat on the sidelines most of the game

Not only was it an excellent game plan but it was a masterful job of controlling the clock in the second half. They made sure to establish a 2 TD lead and then they just wore them down. Also, once they had that 2 TD lead, they milked the play clock down to 1 second every play, which seems like a no-brainer to me, but you rarely see teams do this. Their primary objective was keeping Manning off the field and it worked. I would add that a) the Broncos' defense is in BIG trouble right now and b) they were really missing Welker last night. They are a different offense altogether without him.

Really? They win their next two games and they are in. Miami is playing NE, us and the Jets. Ravens are playing Detroit, Bengals, New England. And Rivers is red hot right now.

If they win there next two games they have like a 22% chance of making the playoffs. Currently they have a 6% chance of making the playoffs. That is not a good shot at all.

I've posted this 100 times and you can apply it here.

No QB that has lead the NFL in passing yards has won a SB.

Passing for 500 yards does not guarantee you anything.

EXCELLENT point by Max997. There were critical minutes (from minute 10 or so to minute 4 or so) in the 2nd quarter where the momentum, field position, and future play calling were all still hanging in the balance in this game. Denver was held to three straight 3 and outs on Offense during the same time that SD's offense was being held scoreless and game was tied 10-10. If, instead, Denver had scored in 2 of those 3 drives, it would have forced SD's hand a bit more on offense perhaps. SD's defense had as much to do with that win as the running game/controlling the clock.

Watching that game I kept thinking how FAR the Bills are from beating a team like the Broncos - 1. we would never be able to keep Denver from scoring 3 straight drives, let alone three 3 and outs in a row!; 2. we just can't convert on 3rd down as effectively as SD's offense was able to..our offense would have sputtered numerous times giving Den great field position. SD put themselves in a superb position to win that game in the 2nd quarter; we would have lost that game in the second quarter.