Jerry Sullivan not popular here but he nailed this one

BuffaloBill

Oh. Sully "nails it" again? Good for him. Seriously, I'm glad he's so good at "nailing it."

Did you even read this article? Have anything specific to say as a result or do you just prefer to slam JS out of tradition?

The problem isn't that Jerry Sullivan is never right. It's that he never tries. He sticks to the low hanging fruit.

The Bills provide so much low hanging fruit most of it goes to ruin.

Sullivan is the only media guy that doesn't lap up what RW, Brandon, and the coach of the day say. He is the only guy at Brandon's press conference that said "we have heard this for a decade and moving forward really doesn't mean anything".

What he fails to realize is he is a small town hack just like the Bills. His columns offer no insight nor perspective. He may as well copy and paste stright from this site. My hunch is that he is as much of an !@#$ in person as he comes off in his column and therefore has no access to the players.

Did you even read this article? Have anything specific to say as a result or do you just prefer to slam JS out of tradition?

The Bills provide so much low hanging fruit most of it goes to ruin.

Sully gets props around here for "nailing" it...quite often.

But, he's basically a south pole weatherman telling us all how cold it is. Big whoop. Good for him.

I did find someone who argues against the points from Jerry's column from today:

"It’s only one game ... But this does feel different from the teases of the past. It starts with Manuel, of course."

"Still, you can’t fake the poise and command that Manuel has demonstrated early in his first season. It takes a special talent to lead a winning drive under enormous pressure. He’s quickly winning the confidence of his teammates and lifting the sense of belief within the team."

"If Manuel, Woods and Alonso are as good as they look, the Bills could be a contender a lot sooner than people expected."

"The New Age Bills. You must admit, it has a ring to it."

That person, of course, was none other than Jerry Sullivan himself, from an article from less than 3 months ago titled "Seems like a dawn of a new age for the Bills."

People are entitled to change their opinions, but this guy blows with the wind. All is not perfect after a win, and all is not lost after a couple losses. EJ didn't go from being "a special talent" in September to being compared to JP Losman in December. In short, chill the eff out.

In all fairness, it does seem like Sully has been making a concerted (perhaps too concerted) effort to try and be more positive this season, instead of the usual crabby jackass. To knock him now for reverting back to form isn't completely fair, given that most of us felt sick watching that "performance" on Sunday.

Jerry Sullivan not popular here but he nailed this one

The reason why Sully's not popular here is because he speaks the truth. People here don't like the truth. Many at least.

That said, the truth will have sunk in when people start realizing that the cancer of this organization starts from the head and works its way down. The only way to relieve it is to sever the head. The head has refused to do so, so now we're all on death watch to see what the outcome after that is and to see if Mr. "I want the team to be in Buffalo"'s lies ever catch up to him.

Column was spot on. The team mailed that game in.

The team mails their offseason's in too for the most part.

In all fairness, it does seem like Sully has been making a concerted (perhaps too concerted) effort to try and be more positive this season, instead of the usual crabby jackass. To knock him now for reverting back to form isn't completely fair, given that most of us felt sick watching that "performance" on Sunday.

He realizes the gap between truth and what readers want to hear. Most fans would rather have a nice fat pudding pop to suck on than the truth.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Sullivan is the only media guy that doesn't lap up what RW, Brandon, and the coach of the day say. He is the only guy at Brandon's press conference that said "we have heard this for a decade and moving forward really doesn't mean anything".

What he fails to realize is he is a small town hack just like the Bills. His columns offer no insight nor perspective. He may as well copy and paste stright from this site. My hunch is that he is as much of an !@#$ in person as he comes off in his column and therefore has no access to the players.

We met him on the flight back to Buffalo this morning. Seemed nice enough. Funny because he acted despondent about the whole thing and it made me think he might be more of a fan than he lets on in his column.

We met him on the flight back to Buffalo this morning. Seemed nice enough. Funny because he acted despondent about the whole thing and it made me think he might be more of a fan than he lets on in his column.

Thanks for the insight. I've bashed Jerry over the years but I really believe in this particular piece he said it like it was. It is hard to find a bright spot from that game yesterday.

That was not a playoff team that manhandled the Buffalo Bills, it was a bad, bad 3-9 team the Bills were supposed to easily beat.

The Bucs with their starting RB's on IR, along with a 3rd round rookie at QB. The opening series set the tone for the entire game, 2 plays, 80 yard gain & touchdown with the 3rd string RB, and they never looked back.

Once behind in the score the Buffalo Bills went into panic mode like they used to do under Gailey. 22 rushes for 67 yards is so Gailey-esque! Only one first down rushing all game, and forcing the rookie QB to carry the game.

Bottom line, HC Doug Marrone either needs to take over the play calling, fire his OC, or both. Then in the off season hire a veteran, experienced OC. This same problem has been with the Bills since the Jauron days, rookie OC's Turk Schonert, AVP. Then moron HC Chan Gailey calling all his own plays like he had Brady behind center instead of a backup.

Jerry it's the master of playing both sides of the street. Read his columns closely. While he is ranting one side he will also toss in a nod to the opposite view so that in the future he can claim he was right no matter the outcome.

I distinctly remember his columns about why the Bills should give contract extensions to both Fitz and Stevie. He said the Bills owed it to both players, how the Bills are cheap and never keep their own talent (except when they do) yadda yadda.

Then right after that he says Fitz is inconsistent and Stevie is immature.

Bingo. Sully has covered his azz if either player flames out.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What struck me is the apparent lack of accountability. Stevie claiming the early turnover didn't matter, and Boner blaming the O-line's performance on being down early, both are signs of a mentality that prevents people from getting better. I was a little surprised to hear that from Stevie, very dissappointed to hear it from Boner.

That was not a playoff team that manhandled the Buffalo Bills, it was a bad, bad 3-9 team the Bills were supposed to easily beat.

I have no argument with anything you are saying, but this part kind of got my attention...there was this assumption early in the season, that the Bills had an "easy" schedule the second half of the season...people here (not necessarily you) were counting games like Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Jags as "easy W's"...when you are a 3-6 team, coming off a 6-10 season, no game is an easy win. I am in the minority (this week it appears) in being slightly optimistic, still, about the Bills near future...I don't think the Bills are as bad as they showed yesterday... teams like the Bucs and Jags that got off to miserable starts have had more than half a season to wallow in their failed season...they are starting to play better as the season wares on...it is an excuse, and not necessarily a good one, but the Bills, I believe, were truly shaken up by that loss last week...I think them getting waxed, no matter who they were playing, was fairly predictable...they are a young (and I do believe improving incrementally) team that has no track record of how to handle success, only failure...they could sense that they are close to turning that corner, but it isn't quite there yet...so there was a big let-down after that soul crushing defeat last week in Toronto. Good teams like Denver and New Enland can handle a heartbreaking loss, because they have won so much, it is their natural tendancy..they have been in more big games than anyone else, they can pull themselves off the mat quicker than a team like Buffalo or Cleveland. It sucks, but I truly believe that is the way it is...beating a good team like KC or Cincinnati would have really meant a lot I think..to be in those games, competing, was important. Beating Baltimore, Carolina was great...Miami isn't as bad as we wish they were...and our maligned QB can take some solace that he played a key part in all three of the teams wins this year...he played, by far, his most complete game against a pretty decent defense in the Jets...these are small steps, they have to build on them. I fully expect a better effort next week, and, a very inspired effort against Miami...but I just don't know if they are up to the task of beating New England on the road, no matter how insignificant the game may be to the Pats. I fully expect the franchise to make changes in the offseason, to correct things that are not working...Hackett may go, Stevie, who knows...disappointing season to be sure, but there are some things to feel good about. Even if you think Manuel is a bust, they still had a pretty nice draft...they made some pretty shrewd FA moves...I just don't think they will be complacent. So, I am still quietly optimistic that as bad as things still look at times, there are some foundational changes going on that will be good for the franchise in the not so far off future.

What struck me is the apparent lack of accountability. Stevie claiming the early turnover didn't matter, and Boner blaming the O-line's performance on being down early, both are signs of a mentality that prevents people from getting better. I was a little surprised to hear that from Stevie, very dissappointed to hear it from Boner.

Forgive my ignorance...who is "Boner"? Boner Marrone?