The "Peter and Ralph Principle" the Perfect Storm at Work

patfitz

For those who have studied management theory there is something referred to as the Peter principle where people in authority actually rise to their level of incompetence. Yet someone has to serve as the enabler for this to happen. I have as a Biils' "draftee at birth", personally witnessed this in my five+ decades as a Bills loyalist. I will also posit the "Ralph principle", that those who are insecure in a position of authority. tend to promote those to a position of authority that will not challenge them, and they in turn will hire the same and the chain keeps on repeating itself. One can see this where Russ Brandon is named a President of a professional football team. Where Doug Whaley is promoted to the GM position (where is Doug exactly anyway? Is he the latest incarnation of Booth Lustig? The only time I have heard him at all is pitching some high rollers on buying into private suites at the Ralph.) And the only times, for those new to the Bills' tumultous history, that the Bills have ever had success is when someone was brave enough (or perhaps had the inner confidence to call a spade a spade) to challenge their superior commander, unfortunately they are too few and way too far between. Whereas I can't think of an example that would be as contemptuous as say General Douglas MacArthur and President Harry S. Truman, I can think offhand of but a few exceptions where as a subordinate he challenged his superior and "commander in Ralph", I cite as these examples, former Bills' GM Bill Polian, and also former Bill's head coaches Chuck Knox and Lou Saban (yes twice), who fit that description, meanwhile we have had to endure the collection of "yes men" who have predominated the Bills history, I offer as such notorious examples, the likes of the Kay Stepenson's, Harvey Johnson's, Jim Ringo's and Chan Gailey's, Dick Jauron's, Buddy Nix's (I could keep going but it is a very long list) these individuals were not going to question their supreme commander and chief. One might seriously doubt Doug Marrone will be any different. Why should we expect anything else. He may have lucked out on Mike Pettine (time will tell), but also hired Nate Hackett because why? Nate won't challenge his mentor. See the pattern? I contend that Marv Levy was more a victim of good circumstance, being the benefactor of Bill Polian's brilliance and, add to that, Marv, being a Ralph contemporary, was not someone who was going to rock the boat after all he was a former NFL HC reject at KC and who had his only previous success in the CFL and USFL (I actually attended a Chicago Blitz game where Marv was coaching when living there). At times the Bills ship desperately needed to be rocked, perhaps the last person to try this was former Bills' President and GM Tom Donahoe (Ralph subsequently declared that this would be the last time he would see to it that he would so delegate such authority, this in itself calls into question the Russ Brandon appointment as Bills' el Presidente), also as an aside it it was just after Tom D. was the loser of a power struggle in Pittsburgh to HC Bill Cowher, so he naturally wasn't going to hire another coach who challenged him and hence we ended up with Greg Williams. Does anyone else see a pattern? It is truly the pefect strorm the "Peter and Ralph principles" at work. Doesn't get any better than that especially in the NFL!

Edited by patfitz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who have studied management theory there is something referred to as the Peter principle where people rise to thier level of incompetence. Yet someone has to serve as the enabler for this to happen. I have witnessed this in my five+ decades as a Bills loyalist. I will also posit the "Ralph principle", that those who are insecure in a position of authority tend to promote those to position of authority that will not challenge them and they in turn will hire the same and the chain keeps on repeating itself. One can see this where Russ Brandon is named a President of a professional football team. Doug Whaley is the GM (where is Doug exactly anyway? The only time I have heard him at all is pitching some high rollers on buying into private suites at the Ralph.) And the only times, for those new to the Bills tumultous history, that they have ever had success is when someone was brave (or perhaps had the inner confidence to call a spade a spade) to challenge their superior commander, are too few and way too far between. Whereas I can't think of an example that would be as compelling as say General MacArthur and President Harry S. Truman, I can think off hand of but a few occurrences where someone challenged his superior and "commander in Ralph", like GM Bill Polian, head coaches Chuck Knox and Lou Saban (twice), who fit that description, meanwhile we have had to watch the collection of "yes men" who have dominated the Bills history, the Kay Stepenson's, Harvey Johnson's, Jim Ringo's and Chan Gailey's, Dick Jauron's, Buddy Nix's (I could keep going but it is a very long list) these individuals were not going to question their supreme commander and chief. One might doubt Doug Marrone will be any different. Why should we expect anything else. He may have lucked out on Mike Pettine (time will tell), but also hired Nate Hackett because why? Nate won't challenge his mentor. See the pattern? I contend that Marv Levy was more a victim of good circumstance, being the benefactor of Bill Polian's brilliance and, add to that, Marv being a Ralph contemporary was not someone who was going to rock the boat after all he was a former NFL HC reject at KC and who had his only previous success in the CFL and USFL (I actually attended a Chicago Blitz game where Marv was coaching when living there). At times the Bills ship desperately needed to be rocked, pehaps the last person to try was Tom Donahoe, but it was after he was fresh off losing a power struggle in Pitt to Bill Cowher, so he naturally wasn't going to hire another coach who challenged him and hence we ended up with Greg Williams. Does anyone else see a pattern? It is truly the pefect strorm the "Peter and Ralph principles" at work. Doesn't get any better than that especially in the NFL!

Very interesting, so who do you think would challenge Ralph and right the ship?

Very interesting, so who do you think would challenge Ralph and right the ship?

I hesitate to sound like a fatalist but I personally do not believe that anyone will. And as so say the great philosophers (not Kant or Nietzsche) but rather I cite, Sonny and Cher, so "the beat goes on".

Edited by patfitz

That's depressing.

I believe some day we will win again hopefully with this staff.

Yes as do I, and I am by no means an Edgar Casey, and to cite yet another philosopical pop duo from "the Royal Scam", Fagan and Becker, it is always possible that ...."Just by chance you crossed the diamond with the pearl

You turned it on the world

That's when you turned the world around". Anything is possible!

Edited by patfitz

Yes as do I, during my lifetime, and to cite yet another philosopical duo, Fagan and Becker, "Just by chance you crossed the diamond with the pearl

You turned it on the world

That's when you turned the world around". Anything is possible!

Yep, my wife just shakes her head and says how can you follow this team, but they are my team and somehow someway they will get back to the top.

For those who have studied management theory there is something referred to as the Peter principle where people in authority actually rise to their level of incompetence. Yet someone has to serve as the enabler for this to happen. I have as a Biils' "draftee at birth", personally witnessed this in my five+ decades as a Bills loyalist. I will also posit the "Ralph principle", that those who are insecure in a position of authority. tend to promote those to a position of authority that will not challenge them, and they in turn will hire the same and the chain keeps on repeating itself. One can see this where Russ Brandon is named a President of a professional football team. Where Doug Whaley is promoted to the GM position (where is Doug exactly anyway? Is he the latest incarnation of Booth Lustig? The only time I have heard him at all is pitching some high rollers on buying into private suites at the Ralph.) And the only times, for those new to the Bills' tumultous history, that the Bills have ever had success is when someone was brave enough (or perhaps had the inner confidence to call a spade a spade) to challenge their superior commander, unfortunately they are too few and way too far between. Whereas I can't think of an example that would be as contemptuous as say General Douglas MacArthur and President Harry S. Truman, I can think offhand of but a few exceptions where as a subordinate he challenged his superior and "commander in Ralph", I cite as these examples, former Bills' GM Bill Polian, and also former Bill's head coaches Chuck Knox and Lou Saban (yes twice), who fit that description, meanwhile we have had to endure the collection of "yes men" who have predominated the Bills history, I offer as such notorious examples, the likes of the Kay Stepenson's, Harvey Johnson's, Jim Ringo's and Chan Gailey's, Dick Jauron's, Buddy Nix's (I could keep going but it is a very long list) these individuals were not going to question their supreme commander and chief. One might seriously doubt Doug Marrone will be any different. Why should we expect anything else. He may have lucked out on Mike Pettine (time will tell), but also hired Nate Hackett because why? Nate won't challenge his mentor. See the pattern? I contend that Marv Levy was more a victim of good circumstance, being the benefactor of Bill Polian's brilliance and, add to that, Marv, being a Ralph contemporary, was not someone who was going to rock the boat after all he was a former NFL HC reject at KC and who had his only previous success in the CFL and USFL (I actually attended a Chicago Blitz game where Marv was coaching when living there). At times the Bills ship desperately needed to be rocked, perhaps the last person to try this was former Bills' President and GM Tom Donahoe (Ralph subsequently declared that this would be the last time he would see to it that he would so delegate such authority, this in itself calls into question the Russ Brandon appointment as Bills' el Presidente), also as an aside it it was just after Tom D. was the loser of a power struggle in Pittsburgh to HC Bill Cowher, so he naturally wasn't going to hire another coach who challenged him and hence we ended up with Greg Williams. Does anyone else see a pattern? It is truly the pefect strorm the "Peter and Ralph principles" at work. Doesn't get any better than that especially in the NFL!

nice. the brandon part struck me at the time, just not as eloquently or thoroughly teased out. but in the end, wilson wins, right? and we fans lose, some even believing that he was a good guy. luckily, i choose not to believe "he that dies with the most toys, wins".

Great post. Agree 1000%

Would suggest a few breaks in the paragraph though so more are inclined to read it.

Amen ... You seem to have put a great bit of thought into this The succinct version with some breaks inserted:

Ralph has been a control freak owner and has only appointed people who do not question his authority

The peter principle has worked its magic for the Bills staff

Hence the Bills have sucked and forever will as long as they follow Ralph's command

RW's ownership of the team is clearly holding it back from becoming relevant again. As much as the team remains in Buffalo with him alive, it cannot move forward either given the restrictions on hiring top level management types. By this I mean, no one wants to work here with an owner and his hand-picked people who will sue a recently fired coach (Wade), name an octogenarian GM (Marv), replace him with a marketing/business guy as GM (Brandon), re-sign Jauron when no one wanted him, and hire a septuagenarian (Nix) to be GM when previous moves don't work.

And people wonder why no self-respecting GM or HC will come to Buffalo.

ralph wilson never trusted the team to coaches with a track record of success in pro football. even the Levy hire was suspect. those late 80's/early 90's teams were the product of early draft picks earned from years of poor seasons, and no free agency. bottom line.. our best years were the exception to the rule - wilson won, in spite of himself. he's not the only clueless owner, but other than a couple championships 50 years ago*, the excitement of OJ, the limited success of the Ferguson/Cribbs era, and the afore-mentioned glory years that never ended well - we've always been losers.

* - i can remember some of the '66 season, but was squarely on board in time for our loss to KC in the game that would have put us in the 1st SB - who knew this was gonna be a sign of many disappointments to come?

This is a solid post. The only solution based on this logic unfortunately is for Ralph to relinquish control (which he will not do) or for him to die (and then some new owner steps back and doesn’t meddle). Ralph will probably not give up control, not sell the team while he is alive and (the scariest part) Live until he is 120!!! In any event we are stuck with the sycophants that are running this team into the ground until then!!

Edited by Livinginthepast

* - i can remember some of the '66 season, but was squarely on board in time for our loss to KC in the game that would have put us in the 1st SB - who knew this was gonna be a sign of many disappointments to come?

The first year I was old enough to be a fan was the year Ronnie Harmon dropped a wide open pass in the end zone in the playoffs. I too wish I had seen it as a sign... :bag:

The first year I was old enough to be a fan was the year Ronnie Harmon dropped a wide open pass in the end zone in the playoffs. I too wish I had seen it as a sign... :bag:

was that the Browns? i liked Harmon, and i think he was having a good game before that.. #33

Edited by BackInDaDay

was that the Browns? i liked Harmon, and i think he was having a good game before that.. #33

Yeah it was. I can remember exactly where I was. My best friend growing up lived in a funeral home. They lived upstairs while the parlor etc... was downstairs. I was in his living room downstairs. Man there were clues everywhere!!! :lol: