A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

My problem with the coaches is that they took much of the game out of the QB's hands this year in a conservative attempt to win close games with the ground game and defense....a formula that CAN work well enough to get a team into the playoffs......and they got a schedule that worked for their approach.....and lost. You are what your record says you are. I am not saying they don't deserve another chance but they don't deserve credit for FAILING at what they were trying to do.

I will say this much about the balance of the schedule.......they need to open it up now and see what they have in EJ Manuel. If they keep playing "run to set up the punt" in the last quarter of the season then we have a problem with this staff. I want to see the offense developed into a more balanced attack so we aren't playing the same tune next season.

I think that Hackett's advice to EJ after the Steelers game is indicative of where the QBs are hindering the coaches....

“We had that same talk after the Steelers game. It was like, ‘Look man, throw it. Just throw it as hard as you can and don’t think about anything else and believe in what you see. You got exactly what you wanted. Just go.’”

It really doesn't seem to be the coaches not opening it up at all......more the problems of trying to build confidence in their rookie QB.

I also have no problem with the run first strategy as it generally is considered a very good method for helping young QBs develop(which is really the main concern we have).

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing some of EJ's inaccurate early game throws I can't really blame him. For a team that has a history of quitting when the going gets tough it is important for the coaches to keep them out of those kind of deflating circumstances.

It is likely that the coaches have been continuously drilling into EJ's head that it is better to fail long than fail short and risk an INT. Which is perhaps what you are saying. It was strange that Thad Lewis completed that bomb to Goodwin, yet EJ overthrew him the three times he tried. EJ's short accuracy is trending upwards compared to games earlier in the season. I have hopes that he continues to progress.

Maybe it is a tough pill for us to swallow now, but compared to Geno's careless and ultimately fateful attitude towards QBing, I prefer the one the Bills coaches are taking. Of two bad choice (being ultra safe and opening it up early to a rookie risking turnovers), I prefer the earlier. A young 'un can easily fall into a bad habit of imagining himself to be a gunslinger and never get out of that mode later in his career.

I think that Bill in NYC needs to seriously contemplate retiring his "A Few Thoughts" weekly thread. Calling EJ Manuel's performance against Atlanta "awful" is practically announcing you no longer have credibility to this Bills fan. In the Atlanta game, Manuel twice made huge plays to put the Bills in position to win the game. Many times during the game the defense failed to show up, yet Manuel was up to the task of bailing everyone out including Stevie. That's awful? Completion percentages?

In his seven starts to date, rookie QB EJ Manuel has only put up two "awful" performances. They are the Jets first game and the Steelers game. The other five games he's played well in, and in those games the Bills either won, were very close to winning or he left the game with an injury after putting his team in position for a go ahead score. What I see in EJ Manuel is a more athletic Ben Rothlesberger. He will put in the work to improve his mechanics and accuracy and a few years down the road I think he'll be one of the top five QBs in the NFL. He's got a ways to go, but calling his performance against Atlanta "awful" is ridiculous. With the game on the line, he twice put the Bills in position to win.

When I say he's played well, that's not judging him on the Brees, Manning, Brady HOF scale. He's a rookie QB. He's playing well for a first round "future franchise QB" pick. Can we give him a little time to iron out the wrinkles in his game so he can look pretty doing it a few years from now?

this. I completely agree. The failure is on the Bills for not putting Manuel in a position to win and yet he has come close almost all the time. EJ has the right attitude to develop in a good QB and if he can get a chance to throw to Woods, Goodwin and a reliable TE, I think he can be the Franchise QB.

this. I completely agree. The failure is on the Bills for not putting Manuel in a position to win and yet he has come close almost all the time. EJ has the right attitude to develop in a good QB and if he can get a chance to throw to Woods, Goodwin and a reliable TE, I think he can be the Franchise QB.

EJ has the right attitude but the wrong coaches. I just do not think Hackett can develop EJ. It does not appear like the two of them communicate well. I really hope i am wrong, but i fear Hackett will ruin EJ's career and ina couple season's we will be right back where we started. A new coaching staff and looking for a qb.

I don't understand your hyper-criticism of this coaching staff, especially considering what preceded them. Is there any doubt that this defensive staff is better than its predecessors? The OC has done a solid job with what he was working with at qb. Calling games for backup caliber qbs (Lewis and Tiel) and then calling games for a rookie qb who has missed practice time prior to the season and during the season is not an easy task.

There is a delicate balance that Hackett has to always keep in mind when calling plays for Manuel: He hss to call plays that the rookie qb is able to make at his experience level. You don't think there is a difference calling plays for a Brees or Brady? The repertoire of plays at their disposal is significantly larger than what a rookie qb can handle.

When you are a defensive or offensive coordinator you are at the mercy of your talent level. The success of most plays has more to do with the talent of players executing the play (offense and defense) than the play itself.

In general, I think the coaching staff is demonstrably better than the prior coaching staffs. Very often what is lost is the player development aspect of their job. It is more than working up a game plan. It is also about developing your younger talent. There again I think they have done a good job.

It was very evident to me when the season started that this roster was very limited. This year was mostly dedicated to rebuilding a lackluster roster. In almost every game the team gave a good effort. The team, with the exception of the Steeler and away Jets game, was never outclassed. In general my view is that the HC and his staff have done a quality job.

While I don't have the disdain for Marrone that others have, I've started to gain quite a bit of dislike for OC Nathaniel Hackett.

I was defending Hackett up until that Chiefs game when he let that super raw rookie QB Jeff Tuel sling it around 39 times, 43 actual drop backs. All Hackett needed to do was look at Tuel's college history to know enough to not put the game in the QB's hands, where the kid went 4 wins, 26 losses. That Chiefs game was very winnable.

That first series in the second half of the Chiefs game is a perfect example of giving up on the run and forcing the rookie to make a play. The Bills drove 79 yards to the Chiefs one yard line all by running the ball, and then on 3rd and one on the goal line he let the raw rookie QB throw it up for grabs. If Hackett continues with this plan of making the rookie QB carry the offense every game, I think Marrone is going to need to make a change this off season.

I also echo these sentiments

They've called up that deep fade in that down and distance about a halfdozen times this year, which is definitely over the top(I crack myself up). I like it on occasion because it absolutely messes with a corner's head and invariably creates space in the flat that the offense can utilize at some point later in the game. What I don't like is that they seem to feel the need to keep throwing it at TJ Graham and his 9" catch radius.

Yes...this is the issue with that play call as far as I'm concerned.

While I don't have the disdain for Marrone that others have, I've started to gain quite a bit of dislike for OC Nathaniel Hackett.

I was defending Hackett up until that Chiefs game when he let that super raw rookie QB Jeff Tuel sling it around 39 times, 43 actual drop backs. All Hackett needed to do was look at Tuel's college history to know enough to not put the game in the QB's hands, where the kid went 4 wins, 26 losses. That Chiefs game was very winnable.

That first series in the second half of the Chiefs game is a perfect example of giving up on the run and forcing the rookie to make a play. The Bills drove 79 yards to the Chiefs one yard line all by running the ball, and then on 3rd and one on the goal line he let the raw rookie QB throw it up for grabs. If Hackett continues with this plan of making the rookie QB carry the offense every game, I think Marrone is going to need to make a change this off season.

So he's never supposed to call a pass on 3rd and goal? It was a simple slant pattern; all he had to do was not throw it directly to a defender....even an undrafted rookie can manage that 99% of the time. Besides, they got stuffed on first and second down running the ball.

I'll repeat what I said in my prior post that it is not easy calling plays for a rookie qb, especially a young qb who has missed a lot of practice time due to injuries. The OC has to not only factor in what is the best play to counter the defense but he also has to consider the type of plays that best suit his inexperienced qb. At this point no one can reasonably say that EJ is a very accurate passer who can consistently fit the ball in tight spots. Assuming that is so then it is going to scale down the number of plays to draw from.

In general the playcalling for EJ has been very cautious. The tendency was to play it safe rather than to gamble. The mentality was not to go out and win games but to not lose games. It might be frustrating for fans but I think it was a wise approach to take. The Bills are at a stage in this season where they have little to lose by taking more risks. So don't be surprised if the offense is opened up more for the rest of the year.

I thought this was settled weeks ago but you continue to skew stats to make a point.

1.) Going into the 4th quarter and before the game situation forced the Bills to throw, the Bills had a 35/24 run pass ratio. That's the essence of sticking to the running game and protecting your rookie QB.

2.) On the goal line INT by Tuel, we were stuffed on 1st and 2nd down. On 3rd down, Tuel correctly read the run blitz on the left side and AUDIBLED to the pass play that resulted in the pick 6.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll repeat what I said in my prior post that it is not easy calling plays for a rookie qb, especially a young qb who has missed a lot of practice time due to injuries. The OC has to not only factor in what is the best play to counter the defense but he also has to consider the type of plays that best suit his inexperienced qb. At this point no one can reasonably say that EJ is a very accurate passer who can consistently fit the ball in tight spots. Assuming that is so then it is going to scale down the number of plays to draw from.

In general the playcalling for EJ has been very cautious. The tendency was to play it safe rather than to gamble. The mentality was not to go out and win games but to not lose games. It might be frustrating for fans but I think it was a wise approach to take. The Bills are at a stage in this season where they have little to lose by taking more risks. So don't be surprised if the offense is opened up more for the rest of the year.

I will give you it is not easy.

But should it be?

My point is Hackett is 1 of 32 people in the entire world to hold the job title of OC for a NFL team. Can you honestly tell me he is 1 of the best 32 options for that position? OR he was brought in because Marrone felt comfortable with him?

IF Marrone sticks with Hackett after this season then Marrone is writing helping write his own pink slip.

Some of you may say Hackett is ok or even good at calling plays, but i doubt any of you will say great?

Why is it that we fail to see how that translates into him not being a great QB coach as well? Plus take into consideration he has never had either role before in the NFL, it is easy to see he is in over his head.

If Marrone is to be believed, the "two yards and a cloud of dust" running plays that they call repeatedly on first downs early in the game are designed to enable EJ to utilize playaction passes later in the game, which is another way of saying that they are designed to increase EJ's protection on passing plays later in the game.

I'm fine with that.

It's frustrating to watch but it's not the wrong approach.

If Marrone is to be believed, the "two yards and a cloud of dust" running plays that they call repeatedly on first downs early in the game are designed to enable EJ to utilize playaction passes later in the game, which is another way of saying that they are designed to increase EJ's protection on passing plays later in the game.

I'm fine with that.

It's frustrating to watch but it's not the wrong approach.

I hear what you are saying. But on 3 and 2 later in the game how about a play action to a slant route? Not a play action to a bomb that EJ has shown he needs more work on.

Its not easy if you have also have a rookie for an OC!

Keep the offense simple to around 15-20 plays, and most of those runs. To Hacketts credit he has called quite a few run plays this season, 2nd most in the league I think. However, the run game still hasn't been nearly effective as it should be. Needing to try and pass on 3rd down and one at the goal is a clear cut example. The Bills run all the way to the goal line, and then they try and throw it in. Did the OC suddenly grow a beard, gain a southern accent, and morph into another Gailey?

In my view this OC is still asking the rookie QB to throw much to often. To EJ's credit he isn't trying to force the ball every other play like the Jets rookie QB Geno Smith is with his 24 turnovers.

The talent at RB far exceeds the talent at QB, and the Bills should be giving both Jackson & Spiller 20+ touches a game each.

You talk about being Hackett cautious with EJ, why wasn't Hackett cautious with Tuel in allowing him to audible and pass on 3rd and one at the goal line?

I thought this was settled weeks ago but you continue to skew stats to make a point.

1.) Going into the 4th quarter and before the game situation forced the Bills to throw, the Bills had a 35/24 run pass ratio. That's the essence of sticking to the running game and protecting your rookie QB.

2.) On the goal line INT by Tuel, we were stuffed on 1st and 2nd down. On 3rd down, Tuel correctly read the run blitz on the left side and AUDIBLED to the pass play that resulted in the pick 6.

GO BILLS!!!

Simply because you think you made the point that Tuel was forced to throw more at the end of the game doesn't change the facts that putting the game in the hands of that rookie QB was utterly moronic.

When you get in the red zone the field collapses and the QB has less room for error. When you are on the opponents one yard line that chance for error magnifies.

Tuel correctly read the blitz, and then promptly threw it to a Chiefs player :lol: Knowing how raw and inexperienced this kid is, why is Hackett allowing Tuel to audible at all?

Jeez, run the ball on 3rd down and if it fails then kick a FG. Nate Hackett, and his stupidity lost this game, not Jeff Tuel.

But should it be?

My point is Hackett is 1 of 32 people in the entire world to hold the job title of OC for a NFL team. Can you honestly tell me he is 1 of the best 32 options for that position? OR he was brought in because Marrone felt comfortable with him?

IF Marrone sticks with Hackett after this season then Marrone is writing helping write his own pink slip.

Some of you may say Hackett is ok or even good at calling plays, but i doubt any of you will say great?

Why is it that we fail to see how that translates into him not being a great QB coach as well? Plus take into consideration he has never had either role before in the NFL, it is easy to see he is in over his head.

Well seeing as how we are the 16th ranked offense out of 32, and that for 5 of our games we played with either a 2nd or 3rd string QB (taking Kolb out of the equation), I'd say you are wrong. As far as anyone's contention that they should have planned better at the backup position, see the Packers. All bets are off when your starter goes down. Do I know Hackett is or can be a great OC, no. But there's no way anyone can know that he is or will be a failure.

But should it be?

Very often the word "great" is too casually used. Hackett is not a great OC. The Bills have no "great" coaches on the staff, including the HC. If that is only what you are seeking then the Bills will not have any coaches working the sidelines.

Hackett is a very young OC who is going to get better the more he coaches. As with players you are usually not instantly the best you can be. It is a process of growth, learning as you gain experience.

I would prefer a young and open minded coach with new ideas and more importantly receptive to new ideas than having the same dullard retread coach who inflexibly clings to his "system" come hell or high water.

As I have repeatedly stated Hackett is in a very challenging situation calling plays for a very raw qb. In general, I think he has done a good job considering the limited experience of his qb. In addition, I get the sense that he and EJ relate to one another. If you had an old-school tyrant coach you can end up retarding the development of a young qb.

Ultimately the success of the coaches is more determined by the quality of the players being coached than by the coaching. The Bills are not at the point where they have a robust roster. It is a work in process with the trajectory moving upwards. At least that is how I see it.

Its not easy if you have also have a rookie for an OC!

Keep the offense simple to around 15-20 plays, and most of those runs. To Hacketts credit he has called quite a few run plays this season, 2nd most in the league I think. However, the run game still hasn't been nearly effective as it should be. Needing to try and pass on 3rd down and one at the goal is a clear cut example. The Bills run all the way to the goal line, and then they try and throw it in. Did the OC suddenly grow a beard, gain a southern accent, and morph into another Gailey?

In my view this OC is still asking the rookie QB to throw much to often. To EJ's credit he isn't trying to force the ball every other play like the Jets rookie QB Geno Smith is with his 24 turnovers.

The talent at RB far exceeds the talent at QB, and the Bills should be giving both Jackson & Spiller 20+ touches a game each.

You talk about being Hackett cautious with EJ, why wasn't Hackett cautious with Tuel in allowing him to audible and pass on 3rd and one at the goal line?

Simply because you think you made the point that Tuel was forced to throw more at the end of the game doesn't change the facts that putting the game in the hands of that rookie QB was utterly moronic.

When you get in the red zone the field collapses and the QB has less room for error. When you are on the opponents one yard line that chance for error magnifies.

Tuel correctly read the blitz, and then promptly threw it to a Chiefs player :lol: Knowing how raw and inexperienced this kid is, why is Hackett allowing Tuel to audible at all?

Jeez, run the ball on 3rd down and if it fails then kick a FG. Nate Hackett, and his stupidity lost this game, not Jeff Tuel.to

Why is Hackett allowing a rookie QB to make audibles? Really? Blame Hackett all you like. Have at it. There's nothing more for me to argue here.

But there's a world of difference between being cautious with a rookie QB and completely castrating him on the field of play. Were you just as upset when Tuel audibled to the long TD pass to Goodwin?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

But should it be?

atlbillsfan, I didn't agree with you at first, and it actually took 9 games and then watching Jeff Tuel and his 39 attempts passing to change my mind.

In that Chiefs game the Bills were seeming able to run at will against that Chiefs D to the tune of 241 yards on 38 carries, and the majority of those carries came before the Bills got behind in the score.

Suddenly the Bills lose the lead and then the entire dynamic of the game changes. Tuel was never even sacked in that game by the opposing team, who BTW was leading the NFL in sacks.

Now suddenly with the score tied at 13 late in the 3rd QTR Nate Hackett panics an has Tuel start slinging the ball all over. This was the same stuff we saw from Gailey every time the Bills lost the lead.

My problem with the coaches is that they took much of the game out of the QB's hands this year in a conservative attempt to win close games with the ground game and defense....a formula that CAN work well enough to get a team into the playoffs......and they got a schedule that worked for their approach.....and lost. You are what your record says you are. I am not saying they don't deserve another chance but they don't deserve credit for FAILING at what they were trying to do.

I will say this much about the balance of the schedule.......they need to open it up now and see what they have in EJ Manuel. If they keep playing "run to set up the punt" in the last quarter of the season then we have a problem with this staff. I want to see the offense developed into a more balanced attack so we aren't playing the same tune next season.

Something is wrong when you're 4-8 (equivalent to 54-108 in baseball!) and you're second in the league in rushing attempts.

They run too much! They suck!!!

They panic and pass too much! They suck!!!

Sigh.

I do agree that the team needs to see what they have in EJ during this last quarter of the season, which means loosening up the playbook. Next two weeks will be games in ideal weather conditions for that, so we shall see.

It is likely that the coaches have been continuously drilling into EJ's head that it is better to fail long than fail short and risk an INT. Which is perhaps what you are saying. It was strange that Thad Lewis completed that bomb to Goodwin, yet EJ overthrew him the three times he tried. EJ's short accuracy is trending upwards compared to games earlier in the season. I have hopes that he continues to progress.

Maybe it is a tough pill for us to swallow now, but compared to Geno's careless and ultimately fateful attitude towards QBing, I prefer the one the Bills coaches are taking. Of two bad choice (being ultra safe and opening it up early to a rookie risking turnovers), I prefer the earlier. A young 'un can easily fall into a bad habit of imagining himself to be a gunslinger and never get out of that mode later in his career.

To be fair to Manuel, Goodwin was well covered all game on deep throws. The Falcons CB played a whale of a game and deserves some credit. That close coverage slowed Goodwin down, and remember, Manuel is throwing to a spot. He assumes that Goodwin can blow by a CB. It didn't happen in that game, unfortunately, but I don't think it's either Goodwin's or Manuel's fault. Sometimes, the opponent's players make good plays.

Why is Hackett allowing a rookie QB to make audibles? Really? Blame Hackett all you like. Have at it. There's nothing more for me to argue here.

But there's a world of difference between being cautious with a rookie QB and completely castrating him on the field of play. Were you just as upset when Tuel audibled to the long TD pass to Goodwin?

GO BILLS!!!

Thank you, as you will not change my opinion.

I dunno, perhaps I'm so Bill Parcells old school that I just can't see letting a QB as raw as Tuel was have any options other then hand the ball off, and If the primary receiver isn't open on a pass play then run it or throw it away.

The very last thing I would do in that circumstance would be to let the rookie QB throw it up on 3rd and one when my RB's just went 79 yards on 5 carries.

I'm just a fan, and not the kids coach. But this scouting report would definitely make me think twice about letting this player throw the ball at all. I read this report when I saw that Tuel was starting against the Chiefs.

"SUMMARY - Jeffrey Tuel is a senior quarterback playing in Mike Leach's spread offense. There are few progressions that he has to read as the pre-snap read is where the ball goes. When he does go through his progressions he seems to make mistakes with the ball as he tries to fit the ball into tight spaces and his arm simply won't allow him to make those throws. Tuel is going to struggle with a few issues that he won't be able to overcome in the NFL. He doesn't have much ability to move and escape pressure and it will only get worse as the players get faster and stronger in the NFL. Tuel lacks good arm strength and will never be able to make all of the throws that he needs to make as an NFL quarterback. He is mechanically sound, has a quick release and a good throwing motion, but the ball doesn't jump out of his hand. Tuel throws a floating football that seems to stay in the air far too long. He doesn't handle pressure very well and will make poor decisions when pressured. Given that he has little arm talent, doesn't have great escape-ability and tends to make poor decisions, Tuel is not a player that should be drafted. Tuel should be a priority free agent in the 2013 NFL draft."

http://www.nationalf...ml&player=42701

This kid reminds me so much of Fitz with his quick release, and his arm limitations. Only Tuel can't escape the pocket like Fitz can. A wimpy version of Fitz

EDIT for last bolded. On 3rd down and 9 at the Bills 41, I kinda doubt Tuel needed to audible out of a run play.

Edited by FeartheLosing