Pettine outcoached himself

Pressure was there, but our coverage was weak at times. Specifically Gilmore.

They had a lot of calls with Gilmore not pressing the WR, which is confusing to me, because that's his strength, no?

He was a mess.

It sure seems like Gilmore has digressed. He was beat like a cheap drum all day long.

Digressed?

Not doubling Gonzalez in the red zone is inexcusable. Six sacks? Come on - on two of them Ryan fell down. He had time to throw. No safety blitzes. Hughes rushed as a DE most of the time. Still can't stop the run. Gave up 34 points in a game we should have won by double digits. He needs to go back to blitzing early and often. With the rules in this league it is the only way to win.

I feel like the stats of an elite defense aren't there, but I feel much better about this defense than I have about any D since Takeo' s first season ('04?). Perhaps a couple of these losses will slide Pettine under enough radars to come back as our DC next year, before he starts getting HC interviews. I'm not saying he will or won't be a great HC, but I feel like he is a good DC, and good, young DC's that turn a previously underperforming defense into a cohesive and strong unit at least get phone calls in January...

Sorry to disagree, but the defense didn't lose this game. Bad luck lost this game.

But then, this team was a long shot to make the playoffs at 4-7 anyway.

The defense gave up 34 points to a bad team...how can you say they didn't lose the game

Are you referring to the fumbles bc they were not bad luck, they were two dopes who didn't cover the ball up when common sense is to do so

Smart players do the little things that win games

Edited by Max997

Ryan was pressured a lot in this game. The poor play by the DBs was the problem. Glaring error in not correctly defending Gonzalez. If anything...take inside technique. Force Ryan to go over the top. Too many times the DBs let the Atlanta receivers get inside of them. This team is making training camp errors in the last third of the season. Biggest problem I have with this game is that Marrone and staff had a bye week to prepare for a team that was starting an offensive line composed of several back ups and a street free agent that was no playing football a couple weeks ago. That line pushed around the Bills Defensive linemen enough that Steven Jackson and company ran for 151 yards. This was the 31st ranked running team. Year after year since the departure of Pat Williams and Sam Adams, this team cannot stop the run. In a word: frustration.

Atlanta's offensive line is horrible and Ryan is a statue. Instead of dialing up blitzes and forcing the issue he dropped into coverage. Ryan had way too much time to throw.

They put Mario Williams over the center twice. The first time he sacked Ryan and the second time he hit Ryan. The center was at a complete loss to handle Williams. The best way to pressure Ryan is up the middle. I kept expecting them to go back to it and they kept lining him up away from the play. Dareus wasn't getting pressure, the pass rush was all or nothing today and Ryan was throwing with anticipation.