Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

This makes absolutely no sense. The fact is he DID help his team -- he stopped the Ravens from scoring a TD for heaven's sake! He accomplished exactly what he set out to do.

As for the punishment, it's the wrist slap I expected. He should have been suspended. A coach stepping on the field to disrupt a ongoing play....can you even begin to imagine that in another sport? Maybe Nolan can throw an elbow at someone from the bench in the Sabres' next game. Guys get 4 games for blowing a joint and a coach gets zero for going on the field to hinder the opposing team. Unbelievable.

Don't have to. A Strength and Conditioning coach for the Jets, as we all know, actually tripped a Miami gunner during a return. His penalty from the league?

Nothing.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have to. A Strength and Conditioning coach for the Jets, as we all know, actually tripped a Miami gunner during a return. His penalty from the league?

Nothing.

those guys were BEHIND the line/white area, Tomlin not only was completely in the white area, he had a foot in the playing field.

those guys were BEHIND the line/white area, Tomlin not only was completely in the white area, he had a foot in the playing field.

The guy tripped the player during a play, so your distinction that he was behind the white line doesn't mean much here. He made deliberate contact to alter the play of that gunner. The point isn't whether he was on the white line. He hit the guy and there was no League penalty for the Jets or the coach.

No one here is arguing that this is simply a white line violation, by the way. The discussion is whether Tomlin deliberately tried to alter the play with his physical presence.

The guy tripped the player during a play, so your distinction that he was behind the white line doesn't mean much here. He made deliberate contact to alter the play of that gunner. The point isn't whether he was on the white line. He hit the guy and there was no League penalty for the Jets or the coach.

No one here is arguing that this is simply a white line violation, by the way. The discussion is whether Tomlin deliberately tried to alter the play with his physical presence.

Those guys technically had a right to be there, but not to try and trip someone. Tomlin did not have a right to be where he was and in my opinion did interfere with the play.

This makes absolutely no sense. The fact is he DID help his team -- he stopped the Ravens from scoring a TD for heaven's sake! He accomplished exactly what he set out to do.

As for the punishment, it's the wrist slap I expected. He should have been suspended. A coach stepping on the field to disrupt a ongoing play....can you even begin to imagine that in another sport? Maybe Nolan can throw an elbow at someone from the bench in the Sabres' next game. Guys get 4 games for blowing a joint and a coach gets zero for going on the field to hinder the opposing team. Unbelievable.

Very well said.

Those guys technically had a right to be there, but not to try and trip someone. Tomlin did not have a right to be where he was and in my opinion did interfere with the play.

So you conclude that since the Jets staff was where they should be, that the intentional contact shouldn't be punished by the league, but Tomlin's white line violation (with no contact and debatable prevention of a TD) should be met with heavy fine and/or suspension and loss of picks?

So you conclude that since the Jets staff was where they should be, that the intentional contact shouldn't be punished by the league, but Tomlin's white line violation (with no contact and debatable prevention of a TD) should be met with heavy fine and/or suspension and loss of picks?

I didnt say that. However I do think that Tomlins punishment should be worse. That Jets S and C coach lost his job. True the NFL didnt do that but I think the 100,000 dollar fine is fitting. I think it would have been more fitting to suspend him for a game though. The talk of losing draft picks is silly though. You shouldnt punish the team directly, but I am fine with suspending the coach a game because that is directly punishing him while indirectly hurting the team.

he was also preemptively suspended by the team, and fined heavily so the league didnt discipline him.

the jets were also fined 100k

Edited by NoSaint

I didnt say that. However I do think that Tomlins punishment should be worse. That Jets S and C coach lost his job. True the NFL didnt do that but I think the 100,000 dollar fine is fitting. I think it would have been more fitting to suspend him for a game though. The talk of losing draft picks is silly though. You shouldnt punish the team directly, but I am fine with suspending the coach a game because that is directly punishing him while indirectly hurting the team.

Agreed.

Well, I will just say this, I have never had so much fun in my life living here close to

the Burg and listening to all of the Whiney Steeler fans try to justify Mike's actions as

a mistake and claiming that anyone that sees it differently is just a racist.

Too f'ing funny to me! Talk about Black and yellow blinders. Similiar to how they

reacted to the Big Ben scandal. Have to be the most un knowledgable fans in

the entire NFL. You can bet your sweet bippy that if it was Marrone that pulled

that ****, we would be late night fodder material forever.

Well, I will just say this, I have never had so much fun in my life living here close to

the Burg and listening to all of the Whiney Steeler fans try to justify Mike's actions as

a mistake and claiming that anyone that sees it differently is just a racist.

Too f'ing funny to me! Talk about Black and yellow blinders. Similiar to how they

reacted to the Big Ben scandal. Have to be the most un knowledgable fans in

the entire NFL. You can bet your sweet bippy that if it was Marrone that pulled

that ****, we would be late night fodder material forever.

This whole incident just shows the sad state of the American culture. A very well respected head coach literally and intentionally prevents an opposing player from scoring a touchdown, he then proceeds to lie about it to the entire country. However, because this head coach happens to be black, the media are too scared to call him out as a liar for fear of being labeled a racist. This, in the year 2013!

I saw an ESPN poll with 71% of the nation voting that they thought Tomlin's action were intentional. I have yet to see one ESPN "on air" talent say that they think Tomlin's actions were intentional. This from the biggest sports network that makes it's living off of the "bold" opinions from hundreds of their "experts".

This whole incident just shows the sad state of the American culture. A very well respected head coach literally and intentionally prevents an opposing player from scoring a touchdown, he then proceeds to lie about it to the entire country. However, because this head coach happens to be black, the media are too scared to call him out as a liar for fear of being labeled a racist. This, in the year 2013!

I saw an ESPN poll with 71% of the nation voting that they thought Tomlin's action were intentional. I have yet to see one ESPN "on air" talent say that they think Tomlin's actions were intentional. This from the biggest sports network that makes it's living off of the "bold" opinions from hundreds of their "experts".

Same thing on the NFL Network.

he was also preemptively suspended by the team, and fined heavily so the league didnt discipline him.

the jets were also fined 100k

You're right.

I didn't see initially where the Jets were fined by the league. All the reports I saw say the team fined him $25,000 and " There will be no additional sanctions from the league."--and those were several days after the game.

It wasn't until 3 weeks after the game that the team was fined.

Beyond the fines, reasons, excuses and explanations, I feel that the act was incredibly childish. This would have been something we did when we were 12 at football practice or during lunch break at school on the playground. Really makes me wonder about Tomlin's mentality.

Edited by Dante

Beyond the fines, reasons excuses and explanations, I feel that the act is incredibly childish. This would have been something we did when we were 12 at football practice or during lunch break at school on the playground. Really makes me wonder about Tomlins mentality.

He's one of the best and most respected coaches in the league. I'm sorry but I just find this outrage laughable. If this happens last Sunday at 1pm, this isn't half as big of a story. And I really don't get where the race angle is coming from. Why would anyone care about his race?

He did something silly, it didn't change the game, he's getting a giant fine, let's move on. And I'd take Tomlin in a second as our head coach. Jones wasn't scoring anyways.

If this happens last Sunday at 1pm, this isn't half as big of a story.

i think you are wrong on that count. it might not be AS big of a story, but itd still be a big one. sal alosi with the jets was huge, jason kidds incident was huge, etc...

He's one of the best and most respected coaches in the league. I'm sorry but I just find this outrage laughable. If this happens last Sunday at 1pm, this isn't half as big of a story. And I really don't get where the race angle is coming from. Why would anyone care about his race?

He did something silly, it didn't change the game, he's getting a giant fine, let's move on. And I'd take Tomlin in a second as our head coach. Jones wasn't scoring anyways.

Oh please, after literally trying to stop an opposing player from scoring and then lying about doing it, Tomlin's no longer respected let alone "one of the most respected".

Tomlin's lucky Jones didn't tear an ACL changing directions going full speed. Given the new "safety" rules, if that did happen Tomlin would have been fired by the Steelers and banned from NFL sidelines.

As a gunner, Tasker would often take "a tour" through the oppoing teams bench area before re-entering the field... Do you think they should have gave him the business! Absolutely! He even said the Jets-Dolphins thing was a non-issue.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois