Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the main focus should be on the simple fact that the play was effected by Tomlin......the extent of which becomes a distant secondary concern IMO.

but its no fun if we all agree - may as well talk controversial possible outcomes since i think everyone agrees tomlin was out of line being there. i think even steeler fans must be admitting that he was deserving a flag there. though id be curious to see their boards discussion.

I would like to see where Tomlin moved throughout the play, and where he has stood for other kickoffs.

If he had been penalized it might have been better for him, but now the incident is blown up. An official is going to get some "demerits" for not penalizing him.

I think it's worthy of a game suspension if he is contacted by Goodell and denies his obvious intention (not that we will know if he does). Laughing about it on the sidelines wasn't very smart. Makes the officials look like clowns...

but its no fun if we all agree - may as well talk controversial possible outcomes since i think everyone agrees tomlin was out of line being there. i think even steeler fans must be admitting that he was deserving a flag there. though id be curious to see their boards discussion.

Yeah, it's great bickering with irrational people.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Indeed!

As I said above, the Jets got this flag 2 weeks ago for far less--simply for staff stepping on the white stripe at all.

But anyone saying that the guy should have been awarded the TD is way off base. That would only happen if there was contact, as (I believe) it is unlikely Tomlin altered the outcome of that play.

Indeed!

As I said above, the Jets got this flag 2 weeks ago for far less--simply for staff stepping on the white stripe at all.

But anyone saying that the guy should have been awarded the TD is way off base. That would only happen if there was contact, as (I believe) it is unlikely Tomlin altered the outcome of that play.

I don't think he would have scored, but if they had awarded the Ravens a TD it would have been justifiable. Jones mentioned his was distracted (I have no reason to doubt him) and no one on the sideline (especially a HC) should be interacting with the play in any physical way.

I think Goodell will nip this in the bud. One game suspension.

Coaches trying to get away with something yesterday Mike Tomlin standing on the edge of the field, Jason Kidd dropping his drink in a NBA game, to give him time to draw up a play. I'd fine them and takeaway a draft pick, for trying to cheat Coaches. Should be role models.

Edited by oman128

The worst thing about this is that there will be a crackdown on coaches in the white zone, and there will be some team penalized because of a completely innocuous transgression of this rule. Probably the Bills, while playing the Patriots.

I believe the rule is two warnings before a flag unless it's during a play

if another coach did this to the steelers...tomlin would be furious...i can see him saying thats not how the game should be played or things like that dont belong in the sport blah blah blah.....bush league move on his part and he SHOULD be suspended. If a player did that they most certainly would be suspeneded

That's obviously a lie. :w00t:

No, I think he really doesn't know how to respond.....

And NoSaint is correct; two warnings, then comes the flag, then the getback coach gets fired.

If he comes close to the field like that again, take out his knees

I had a couple Stiller fans in my house last night who took issue with the fact I lamented Jones' unwillingness to put his hat right between Tomlin's shoulder blades.

Never mess with a man's knees.

No, I think he really doesn't know how to respond.....

And NoSaint is correct; two warnings, then comes the flag, then the getback coach gets fired.

I had a couple Stiller fans in my house last night who took issue with the fact I lamented Jones' unwillingness to put his hat right between Tomlin's shoulder blades.

Never mess with a man's knees.

Obviously, I was referring to it happening during a play.

It's possible for it to happen without there being 2 warnings given, so why mention the warnings?

Tomlin will get a fine and a stern warning. The NFL should hire sideline refs whose only job is to enforce the rule to stay out of the 6 foot sideline area. After 1 warning start tossing 15 yard penalties would stop this.

So there are people here that don't think it was intentional? It's always fun to be a contrarian, I guess.

Anybody lose money on the game? Fantasy team lose?

I don't think it was intentional at all.

He was stationed there before the play evolved into taking place on that particular area of the field.

A more accurate quote, from me to you, would be:

"So there are people there that think Mike Tomlin can diagnose the future, and stationed himself at the exact angle where it would be advantageous for the coverage man to intersect with the return man, should the return man veer 6 inches to the right to avoid Mike Tomlin? It's always fun to have your opinions shaped by the media, I guess."

Doesn't matter who won the game... This is a clear violation of the rules and a penalty should have been called. It happens all the time that coaches go on the field but it isn't called. In this case it obviously changed the play and could have changed the game. It really just reinforces what we know about NFL officiating .... that it is consistently inconsistent.