The Future of the TE Position

b-unit

What he said.

Good news is, there may be 3 tight ends with 1st round potential in this draft. I keep hearing Amaro, Ebron and Jenkins mentioned. No matter where we pick, a good one will likely be available.

Jace Amaro, 6'6", 260, Eric Ebron, 6'4", 245, and Seferan Jenkins, 6'6", 276 are the top three most often mentioned. All are juniors. Ebron just declared for the draft and rumor is that Amaro will declare. I haven't heard any word about Jenkins. Regarding Ebron; he is not the real tall TE that will help with red zone TDs and Buffalo may already have his type in Chris Gragg, 6'3", 245. Additionally, Ebron's blocking is said to be a work in progress. The final 5 games might give us a clue about Gragg's potential. Amaro is tall, has great hands but, like Ebron, is not known for his blocking. Talking about Jenkins is premature until he declares.

Then there's this, if Kalil Mack is there with Amaro, which player do you take. If Yankey (the Stanford guard)is there would you take him since Buffalo currently has no legitimate LG?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jace Amaro, 6'6", 260, Eric Ebron, 6'4", 245, and Seferan Jenkins, 6'6", 276 are the top three most often mentioned. All are juniors. Ebron just declared for the draft and rumor is that Amaro will declare. I haven't heard any word about Jenkins. Regarding Ebron; he is not the real tall TE that will help with red zone TDs and Buffalo may already have his type in Chris Gragg, 6'3", 245. Additionally, Ebron's blocking is said to be a work in progress. The final 5 games might give us a clue about Gragg's potential. Amaro is tall, has great hands but, like Ebron, is not known for his blocking. Talking about Jenkins is premature until he declares.

Then there's this, if Kalil Mack is there with Amaro, which player do you take. If Yankey (the Stanford guard)is there would you take him since Buffalo currently has no legitimate LG?

Amaro's my guy...I actually like his blocking just fine to be honest. He's been effective in the running game as an in-line TE in the red zone.

Only if we see some more of him on the field. One promising drive in garbage time against the Steelers playing prevent defense is not enough to base any opinion on so far.

and ideally, some of these games will hopefully be about finding out what our starters have right now in a playoff race, instead of just testing depth for long term potential. when we get eliminated, sure work a few extra snaps in maybe (though with EJ still developing, id still generally have the best WRs out there, not just a guy to find out what he has)

Amaro's my guy...I actually like his blocking just fine to be honest. He's been effective in the running game as an in-line TE in the red zone.

We can agree on this, Bandit. I like him too. But, if Mack were there, as of now, he would be my choice over Amaro. Mack has been an exceptionally special player in the MAC. The question in my mind is will that exceptionality extend to the NFL. I hear he has been invited to the Senior Bowl. I'll be watching those practices very carefully.

If they Bills win a few more games, however, this Amaro vs. Mack talk might become moot. Then I, as you know, will be rooting for Yankey (assuming scouts feel he is another Cooper or Long). So many questions, so few answers.

We can agree on this, Bandit. I like him too. But, if Mack were there, as of now, he would be my choice over Amaro. Mack has been an exceptionally special player in the MAC. The question in my mind is will that exceptionality extend to the NFL. I hear he has been invited to the Senior Bowl. I'll be watching those practices very carefully.

If they Bills win a few more games, however, this Amaro vs. Mack talk might become moot. Then I, as you know, will be rooting for Yankey (assuming scouts feel he is another Cooper or Long). So many questions, so few answers.

I agree that Mack is a better player and I'd prefer him to Amaro...I just meant that--in reference to the thread topic--Amaro was my guy at TE.

im a big fan of austin seferian jenkins. he's huge got the hands and is a mismatch nightmare for people. also he can block very well.

ebron is a close 2nd and jace amaro is up there too. but if i had a choice i like austin SJ

Don't sleep the Fiedorowicz kid from Iowa. Would be nice 2/3 rd pick

Edited by the skycap

Don't sleep the Fiedorowicz kid from Iowa. Would be nice 2/3 rd pick

He seems like a solid all around player, but I'm not sure that he brings much to the table that we don't more or less have in Chandler. He'd probably be a slight upgrade, but I'd rather bring in a more athletic option.

im shocked someone here wants another corner in the first. we had a bunch of injuries i don't think we need to go CB in the first again. where would you play him after mclovin and gilmore?

and as much as i want a TE i think our OL is gonna need some upgrading LG,RT,RG in that order can be replaced. but a first round pick on a guard is a big investment. wouldn't surprise me to see them go tackle and put him on the right side and try and get guards later in the draft

im shocked someone here wants another corner in the first. we had a bunch of injuries i don't think we need to go CB in the first again. where would you play him after mclovin and gilmore?

and as much as i want a TE i think our OL is gonna need some upgrading LG,RT,RG in that order can be replaced. but a first round pick on a guard is a big investment. wouldn't surprise me to see them go tackle and put him on the right side and try and get guards later in the draft

I'm completely happy with Urbik. Guy's a player. No doubt about LG and yes, RT would be a sound investment given Pear's age and injury history. I don't think TE is a need quite yet, I mean, do we have a QB who can hit a seem route?

I get that viewpoint. I think recent history has been pretty kind to highly drafted TEs though...

I may not be recalling correctly, but at the moment I cannot think of too many early-round TEs that have been glaring busts. Maybe Pettigrew, Hendricks...any others you can think of?

Pettigrew just cant stay healthy. Bad knees... His numbers are certainly amongst the top 5 TE's when he's on the field. I think hes injured right now actually. I'm still hoping to see development from Gragg. His skill set is intriguing to say the least, but he is very raw.

On another note, CB in the first seems a bit rash at this point.. Maybe the 3rd or 4th. 1st has got to be a stud LB IMHO. Guard can be addressed almost anywhere in the draft but I'm a Yankey supporter. I think he is a standout regardless of the general high availability of quality interior lineman throughout the lower rounds. His athleticism and durability are impressive in the few games I've seen.

Edited by SmokinES3

and ideally, some of these games will hopefully be about finding out what our starters have right now in a playoff race, instead of just testing depth for long term potential. when we get eliminated, sure work a few extra snaps in maybe (though with EJ still developing, id still generally have the best WRs out there, not just a guy to find out what he has)

I'm not suggesting we abandon Scott Chandler totally at this stage, but he hasn't caught a fair few makeable balls this year and I just think let's have a bit more of a look at Gragg. I know the coaching staff are not high on his blocking and that might be fair, but they clearly aren't all that hot on Chandler's blocking either given the amount of snaps where they bring Lee Smith onto the field just to block. If Chandler was playing at a high level I wouldn't advocate taking him off the field for a rookie, but I don't think he is playing that well so it can't hurt to have Gragg out there a little more really.. especially as I think Gragg is guy who can give us some YAC potential.

Totally agree TE should be a priority. Been saying this for a while. Citing the history of successful teams that win superbowls, they almost always have a stud TE, LB, Center, and QB. Obviously, the other players are important too, but these seem to be the constants and anchors of competitive teams. Having a TE that is a game changer and has to be accounted for on every offensive play makes life easier for the other skill positions such as WR and RB.

Totally agree TE should be a priority. Been saying this for a while. Citing the history of successful teams that win superbowls, they almost always have a stud TE, LB, Center, and QB. Obviously, the other players are important too, but these seem to be the constants and anchors of competitive teams. Having a TE that is a game changer and has to be accounted for on every offensive play makes life easier for the other skill positions such as WR and RB.

I agree, but then it should have been a top priority the last decade and hasn't been.

Chan Gailey didn't use Scott Chandler very much in his passing game, as he preferred him more of a blocker, and now neither does Hackett. My take is he prefers him to stay in to block for the rookie QB.

His 43 receptions last year puts him in the same amount as CJ Spiller who had 17 less targets.

4, 3, 5, 2, 4,2, 2, 7, 3, 3, 2 have been the catches for Chandler so far this season. 37 receptions, 60 targets. With 5 more games to play Chandler could surpass when he has done in the past, if he stays healthy.

Considering how crippled the Bills receiver corps has been the last few weeks its kind of surprising that Chandler hasn't be utilized more often in the passing game. So, as much as the fan base would love a #1 pick Jimmy Graham type TE, would this offense even use him often?

Current Tight Ends?

Chandler: B+ receiver, C Blocker, B Speed . . . is what he is, never going to be All-Pro, but a solid player.

My take: A valuable player to have around as long as he's affordable.

Gragg: C Receiver, D Blocker, A- Speed . . . is intriguing, but I suspect his football IQ is not very high, or we be seeing more of him.

My take: untapped potential so far, would like to see more of him, but maybe there's not more to see???

Smith: C- Receiver, A- Blocker, C Speed . . . will always be a blocking TE, and emergency safety valve when needed, or occasional surprise the D type of receiver.

My take: as long as he contribute well on ST, he'll stay around.

As for the draft? Yeah, if you can get one of the top tier guys, yes, draft him. But there are bigger needs on the team, so don't reach for a TE at the sake of a greater need, or over a better player (for the draft spot - i.e., BPA type) that can help the team somewhere else.

As for a FA: No realistic shot at the top guys, and I don't think there are any others worth breaking the bank over. Again, if you're going to spend big money, there are greater needs (LG, LB, ??).

Edited by CSBill

Real question, is it a low bust rate, or just that even bad ones are passable? Many here argue that chandler is potentially top ten while others think he's merely an adequate backup- what other positions have such a wide spread on a single guy?

Is it talent levels being relatively close or fans being worse at evaluating them or?

Chandler is a bit too slow and his hands aren't nearly as good. Too many easy drops and too rarely does he get much YAC.

He is a top-20 TE, but really but a guy you'd love to have being your 2nd TE.

We need another TE for sure. Gragg was not good in his first appearance....caught a few at junk time....but dropped two passes when it would have counted as effort toward a win.......looks like stone hands to me. I want the Bills to draft for value in every round....and although these top guys sound great....even second tier in a late round might be an improvement as the third TE. Now, if another Gronkowski/Graham is available, well, that is #1 talent for sure. (although Gronkowski was a #2)

We need another TE for sure. Gragg was not good in his first appearance....caught a few at junk time....but dropped two passes when it would have counted as effort toward a win.......looks like stone hands to me. I want the Bills to draft for value in every round....and although these top guys sound great....even second tier in a late round might be an improvement as the third TE. Now, if another Gronkowski/Graham is available, well, that is #1 talent for sure. (although Gronkowski was a #2)

This is a little premature. Gragg was injured some in college so his experience level was limited coming out. We was good enough to make the Bills' active roster and there are a huge number of very good players in the NFL who had nondescript rookie seasons. I think judgement about him should be reserved until we see a lot more of him.

This is a little premature. Gragg was injured some in college so his experience level was limited coming out. We was good enough to make the Bills' active roster and there are a huge number of very good players in the NFL who had nondescript rookie seasons. I think judgement about him should be reserved until we see a lot more of him.

Fair enough, but generally the TEs who are going to be stars come out pretty strong - because they get open and catch the ball, and function as that safety valve for the QB. Gragg hasn't really shown much capacity for any of this during crunch time - yet. The other side of the coin says that there is a reason Gragg was a 7th rounder, and you can only expect so much from those picks. That we have one that could be characterized at LEAST as a very good #2 in SJ13 is good fortune enough.