The Significance Of Our Win Over Carolina

johnwalter

At the time, our week 2 win over Carolina didn't seem like such a big deal, Cam Newton and the Panthers were coming off a 7-9 season and were considered mediocre at best. Nine weeks later (after wins over the 49ers and the Pats), it's apparent that Carolina is a significant playoff, if not Superbowl contender. Their other two losses have come at the hands of the Seahawks (arguably the best team in the NFL), which was one of the Hawks closest games of the season (Seattle scored the go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter to win 12-7), and an underrated Arizona team.

In retrospect, this win was a huge accomplishment, especially considering the state of our secondary back in the early season and that the game was only EJ's second start in the league.

If Carolina keeps on winning it will help our "Strength of Victory" tiebreaker which is like the 5th tiebreaker but still it could make a difference down the road.

...and when the Pats go 9-7 and we go 9-7 we will have beaten a common opponent. So that means we can do this :nana: to Tom Brady.

Carolina is just one game that I think will look much different in hindsight when reviewing the season. I agree the win looks much better now than it did then but I also think some of the losses won't look as terribel...except the Saints and Pitt games...those two were legitimate, solid in the tank type of losses. Otherwise, I think this season is shaping up about how many expected in the wins-losses column but MUCH better in the reality of the games played than many of us expected...certainly true for me!

At the time, our week 2 win over Carolina didn't seem like such a big deal, Cam Newton and the Panthers were coming off a 7-9 season and were considered mediocre at best. Nine weeks later (after wins over the 49ers and the Pats), it's apparent that Carolina is a significant playoff, if not Superbowl contender. Their other two losses have come at the hands of the Seahawks (arguably the best team in the NFL), which was one of the Hawks closest games of the season (Seattle scored the go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter to win 12-7), and an underrated Arizona team.

In retrospect, this win was a huge accomplishment, especially considering the state of our secondary back in the early season and that the game was only EJ's second start in the league.

Do you recall the state of Carolina's secondary that game? They literally ran out of cornerbacks due to mid-game injury.

...and when the Pats go 9-7 and we go 9-7 we will have beaten a common opponent. So that means we can do this :nana: to Tom Brady.

:worthy:

but wait .... the Saints nullify that darn

oh wait again if Miami beats the Putz once and we sweep the fish ............. I apologize this could go on for a while

But what does it mean for our playoff chances?

The win could kill us in a tie breaker due to it being against an NFC team. From a football perspective it is an impressive win, but the fact is that it is a bad win from a standings perspective. We'd be better off in a tie breaker if we had lost that game.

The win could kill us in a tie breaker due to it being against an NFC team. From a football perspective it is an impressive win, but the fact is that it is a bad win from a standings perspective. We'd be better off in a tie breaker if we had lost that game.

Yeah, they'd definitely have a better playoff shot at 3-8.

If Carolina keeps on winning it will help our "Strength of Victory" tiebreaker which is like the 5th tiebreaker but still it could make a difference down the road.

It's a more relevant tie break than you might think. If the jets only lose at Carolina and at the ravens-- pretty plausible-- that tie break will apply as between us and the jets.

I don't understand this. Wins against teams with good records help us on at least 2 tiebreakers-- strength of victory and strength of schedule.

That win ignited a firestorm under their backsides because the Carolina news was lambasting the team for losing to lowly Buffalo.

That was a good team that just relied on their front four to rush the passer, and giving credit to the Bills O line they held up pretty good against a very good front line D.

Two things.

1. Carolina is a different team compared to when we played them. They couldn't connect on passes, the line couldn't protect Cam and he was skittish in the pocket. They had a player injured every 3 plays. That was arguably their worst and unluckiest game of the year. Just like the Bills looking how they did against the Steelers and how they looked against the Jets. But Carolina has carried their momentum into every weak. I know I'm going to get lambasted by the "Oh so the Bills didn't play well, the Panthers just sucked crowd," but honestly, if we played them next week I wouldn't expect us to win.

2. Our game also came down to a PI flag in the exact same scenario as the Pats. We were lucky to get that call.

Edited by FireChan

But what does it mean for our playoff chances?

If Buffalo was able to tie with NE for the division title at 9-7....here is how it matters. If Ne loses to DEN, and BUF beats then in week 17..NE needs to lose 2 of their other 4 to end up 9-7 against @ hou, @ bal, CLE, @ MIA

First tiebreaker H2H which would split

Second tiebreaker is division record which I am hoping MIA beats NE in week 15.

Third tiebreker is common games. This is the flip of non common games Buffalo should go 1-1 (beat JAx, lose to KC) NE has DEN, @ HOU left....if they go 2-0 then BUF wins the tiebreaker, if they go 0-2 then they win the tiebreker if they go 1-1 then its a push

Fourth tiebreaker is conference record which is the flip of record agisnst NFC. NE is 3-1 against NFC South...If BUF wins out they will be 3-1 as well so conference record is the same.

Fifth tiebreaker is STRENGTH OF VICTORY (IF NE loss to DEN, beats HOU, lose CLE lose BAL, beats MIA, loses to BUF )

If BUF wins out: MIA, MIA, NYJ, NE, TB, CAR, ATL, BAL, JAX

for NE MIA, MIA, BUF, NYJ, PIT, TB, ATL, NO, HOU

this simplifies to:

BUF BAL(4) CAR (7) JAX (1)= 12

NE PIT(4) NO (8) HOU (2) =14

So who comes out ahead in wins between these 3 pairs is the difference for the division title