PFF: Bills/Jets Re-Focused

Kemp2Warlick

Manuel didnt do anything but not turn the ball over and throw for 2 scores.........

What PFF doesnt want to talk about is the progression....on the TJ graham pass that floated i thought EJ showed excellent progression in that he stood in about to get hit and trusted his receiver to come down with the ball....that IS progression.

Manuel didnt do anything but not turn the ball over and throw for 2 scores.........

What PFF doesnt want to talk about is the progression....on the TJ graham pass that floated i thought EJ showed excellent progression in that he stood in about to get hit and trusted his receiver to come down with the ball....that IS progression.

Manuel played a great game. On that particular play, however, an errant throw is an errant throw. An elite QB isn't afraid to throw the ball away and take a loss of down to avoid an INT or sack. I think Manuel had in his head he wanted a TD, and was willing to lob a hail mary to do so. Not always a great approach. Manuel did have a great game though, he had a lot of incredibly accurate throws, including the TD to 88.

Manuel played a great game. On that particular play, however, an errant throw is an errant throw. An elite QB isn't afraid to throw the ball away and take a loss of down to avoid an INT or sack. I think Manuel had in his head he wanted a TD, and was willing to lob a hail mary to do so. Not always a great approach. Manuel did have a great game though, he had a lot of incredibly accurate throws, including the TD to 88.

It's third down, if you don't convert you are punting with from inside your opponents 40 and you have man coverage with no safety help.........and you want him to throw the ball away? You put that ball up and get the PI or the TD.

It looked like he tried to drop the first one in to TJ but the air got it. The latter passes heading that way were thrown more 'on a rope'. I think he showed progression.

this. Was earlier in the game. First real shot into the wind. On the later passes he learned from the wind and compensated.

He "progressed" a hell of a lot more than Geno Smith did.

Why is this always a comparison with Geno Smith.....Both are rookies making plenty of rookie mistakes and and some mind-numbing plays. In week 3 Smith was better than Manuel and in Week 11, Manuel turned out to be better than Smith. Both are mistake-filled QBs learning the tricks of the trade in the NFL. I hope that both go on to be franchise QBs for their respective teams.

It's third down, if you don't convert you are punting with from inside your opponents 40 and you have man coverage with no safety help.........and you want him to throw the ball away? You put that ball up and get the PI or the TD.

What I question there is that it's 3rd down and every single target is running a go route. If Hackett wants to try something like that on 2nd and short I can see it, but on 3rd down? You don't give the kid any other choice? Manuel has no other option but to put the ball up with the blitz in his face and considering he got his right when he was throwing, it wasn't that bad of a throw either.

Why is this always a comparison with Geno Smith.....Both are rookies making plenty of rookie mistakes and and some mind-numbing plays. In week 3 Smith was better than Manuel and in Week 11, Manuel turned out to be better than Smith. Both are mistake-filled QBs learning the tricks of the trade in the NFL. I hope that both go on to be franchise QBs for their respective teams.

Why not compare the two head to head? We chose one over the other, so the comparison is natural. Personally, I hope Smith is a bust because he's a Jet and I hate the Jets.

Yep. Even an interception (provide they are tackled/go down at the spot) is equal to a great punt around the goal line. I'd like to think that EJM and the coaches were aware of that, going into that play.

Yep. Even an interception (provide they are tackled/go down at the spot) is equal to a great punt around the goal line. I'd like to think that EJM and the coaches were aware of that, going into that play.

I thought the same thing. 4 possibilities: incomplete pass, complete pass inside 5 or RAC TD, pass interference penalty with 1st down inside the 5, or it's intercepted inside the 5 with a Bill there to make the tackle. Anyone of these is better than simply throwing it away out of bounds when the 3 positives would be negated. Very smart play by Manuel.

Exactly my thoughts. Exactly. Wasn't it 3rd and 11?

What I question there is that it's 3rd down and every single target is running a go route. If Hackett wants to try something like that on 2nd and short I can see it, but on 3rd down? You don't give the kid any other choice? Manuel has no other option but to put the ball up with the blitz in his face and considering he got his right when he was throwing, it wasn't that bad of a throw either.

That was my first thought when I saw the All-22 replay and realized there was no short option. But it sure became a simplified read. Maybe Hackett knew what Ryan's call was going to be and didn't want to risk a pic-six/turnover around the 30 yards line. We have seen the Bills throw deep to the sideline a number of times on third downs this year. Success rate not that good, but it's actually a pretty low risk/high reward scenario in many cases if you aren't afraid to punt the football and play defense. Pass interference is part of that equation as well, so regardless of the likelihood of Manuel nailing that pass there is always that chance that the defender will not turn to see the ball and you get a chunk play out of what might otherwise be a risky throw into tight underneath coverage for a rookie QB.