Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

If it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, try running through the ESPN Playoff Machine system for the scenarios (http://espn.go.com/n...layoffs/machine).

I selected the default for teams with better records beating their opponents throughout. That leaves a few games for teams with the same records. Notably, if you have Baltimore beat Pittsburgh and the Dolphins sweeping the Jets, the Bills get the final playoff spot at 8-8. Odd but true.

Even Better if you select Defensive Rank as the criteria on who wins, then we win the division as the #3 seed!

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the Jets imploding... I'd say they are one ugly loss away from it.

Bills and Dolphins? I likely see them going .500ish through the end of the year. Neither team is necessarily bad, but both teams need to shore up some weak spots and play more consistently.

I think the Steelers and the Chargers have the best chances of making it. But I really hope the chips fall our way, and the Bills play lights out through the end of the season.

To state the obvious, after this week at least 2 of the teams that currently have a 5-6 record will also become 6-6. Oakland and Cleveland hold the tiebreaker over Buffalo, so I see those games as being most critical. None the less, both of those teams have a very difficult finishing schedule, particularly Oakland. To a degree, I think the Bills control their own destiny here. Just win is an understatement.

I didn't think Oakland would hold the tiebreaker on us. I was thinking the Steelers and Browns since we lost to both of them.

After this week, things will definitely look clearer as far as who we need to lose what game, but we can only worry about that if we beat the Falcons.

I honestly didn't want to talk about us and playoff chances after we lost to the Steelers, but ever since then, things have been going our way as far as teams we are chasing, are losing and making us catch up again.

here's my guess at the of the season.

Titans 7-9

Steelers 8-8

Ravens 8-8

Chargers 8-8

Jets 7-9

Miami 7-9

Raiders 5-11

Browns 6-10

THE BUFFALO BILLS 9-7! PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Gotta love the eternal optimism of Bills fans :thumbsup: never lose it!

The realist in me can see the Bills beating the Falcons up in Toronto as the have the 28th ranked run defense. Their O line is porous, and their best offensive weapon is on IR. Plus the Bills get WR's Stevie & Woods back this week. 5-7

@ Tampa Bay against an improved 3-8 Buc's team that just beat the Lions at Detroit. 5-8

@ Jacksonville against the 2-9 Jags that just beat the Texans at Houston 13-6. Still 6-8

Miami at home, and the Bills play so much better at the Ralph. 7-8

@ New England, and the Bills don't play so well on the road, and against the best team in the AFC 7-9. Which is still better then Gailey, and better then I had previously thought.

"IF" the Bills can fix the run game, give EJ better protection on the road...then 9-7 is an actual possibility.

The realist in me can see the Bills beating the Falcons up in Toronto as the have the 28th ranked run defense. Their O line is porous, and their best offensive weapon is on IR. Plus the Bills get WR's Stevie & Woods back this week. 5-7

@ Tampa Bay against an improved 3-8 Buc's team that just beat the Lions at Detroit. 5-8

@ Jacksonville against the 2-9 Jags that just beat the Texans at Houston 13-6. Still 6-8

@ New England, and the Bills don't play so well on the road, and against the best team in the AFC 7-9. Which is still better then Gailey, and better then I had previously thought.

"IF" the Bills can fix the run game, give EJ better protection on the road...then 9-7 is an actual possibility.

I think the "bridge to far" will be the Pats game. I think the Pats (predicting 13-2) will be fighting with the Broncos (predicting 14-1) for the #1 seeding spot. A Pats win and Broncos loss would make the Pats the #1 seed due to the head-to-head tie breaker. The Bills/Pats game is early and the Broncos/Raiders game is late so the Pats would no doubt give it their full effort. It wouldn't be impossible for the Bills to beat them in this scenario, just improbable.

I could see the Bills winning their next four and losing at New England and finishing with a record of 8-8.

Edited by 1billsfan

I think the "bridge to far" will be the Pats game. I think the Pats (predicting 13-2) will be fighting with the Broncos (predicting 14-1) for the #1 seeding spot. A Pats win and Broncos loss would make the Pats the #1 seed due to the head-to-head tie breaker. The Bills/Pats game is early and the Broncos/Raiders game is late so the Pats would no doubt give it their full effort. It wouldn't be impossible for the Bills to beat them in this scenario, just improbable.

I could see the Bills winning their next four and losing at New England and finishing with a record of 8-8.

The Pats have 3 losses thus far...

If you're scenario plays out, then I bet the Bills are at least mathematically alive going into the Pats game, which would be pretty cool for this year's team.

If you're scenario plays out, then I bet the Bills are at least mathematically alive going into the Pats game, which would be pretty cool for this year's team.

This is the biggest thing for this team. We are not winning the Lombardi trophy this year, but every extra week we are alive and playing meaningful games is so crucial for the growth of the team and the changing of the mindset of the franchise.

To this year head into the last week with a chance at 8-7 would be huge. Winning in New England in a game that they need for the top seed seems very doubtful and not something I would count on at all, but doing so means that we play zero meaningless games all year, and would really inspire a lot of belief on our roster and set us up very nicely for next year. And it still keeps the miracle run door ajar because you never know...

Getting to 5-7 this week and not needing any miracles this week to keep hopes alive means that there is a good chance we can keep these hopes alive another week, and hopefully see an attitude change in this young team in every practice snap, every video session, and another 60 minutes of game time. Anyone who doesn't think that matters and even finishing 8-8 after a loss to NE isn't massively better than limping to 6-10 I don't think understands the necessary culture change that stands between us and being a successful franchise once again.

This week we have to WIN obviously.

These are the rest of the teams we should be rooting for:

Raiders(4-7) - Cowboys(6-5) GO COWBOYS

Steelers(5-6) - Ravens(5-6) GO RAVENS

Jaguars(2-9) - Browns(4-7) GO JAGUARS

Titans(5-6) - Colts(7-4) GO COLTS

Dolphins(5-6) - Jets(5-6) GO DOLPHINS

Bengals(7-4) - Chargers(5-6) GO BENGALS

If we win and get to 5-7, one thing is guaranteed. After this week at least 2 of the teams that currently have a 5-6 record will become 5-7.

Thanks for posting this, it makes it clearer for me to understand w/ so many teams in the mix. Go Bills!

The Bills are built to beat the Patriots they just haven't done it yet. Strong pass rush along with a powerful run game. I hope the Patriots and Bills both need the game, and we WIN. It would turn both franchises on there heads. WE CAN DO IT!

The Bills are built to beat the Patriots they just haven't done it yet. Strong pass rush along with a powerful run game. I hope the Patriots and Bills both need the game, and we WIN. It would turn both franchises on there heads. WE CAN DO IT!

That would be the dream end to the season...lol As long as they don't lose, the dream remains alive for another week!