Marrone to Spiller: Get in the O Line's face

Big Turk

LOL, I love this!!

Marrone pulled Spiller aside and said "The difference between me and you is I would be in their faces telling them what I thought of their blocking" and that it was up to Spiller to go do that...

Oline pass blocked very well today, but got eaten alive against a very tough Jet run front...

He was basically telling Spiller that he needs to be a leader on this team not only by his actions & hold others to a higher expectation & to let it be known that in order for him to do his job up to par they need to first do their job better than they were !!

Edited by T master

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who found Marrone's comments odd? I've never heard a coach say something like that.

as Marrone was a former o-line coach himself, i did find that response a bit odd. we don't need the "bickering bills" returning.

I think Hackett needs to keep Spiller in on passing plays, Chan used him as a Wideout often. This year Hackett keeps pulling him out in passing plays. I think Freddie in the back field and split or put Spiller in motion. Anyone esle noticed this?

well early on especially, I noticed that every time Spiller was in the back field, they handed it off to him! The Jets knew he was getting the ball and went after him! they need to use some playaction with him, even tho he can't pass block that well just run a little chip block screen to him a few times. also, how about maybe trick play, have him throw it once to get it on tape, unless he can't throw for crap, idk. but one things certain, it was too predictable when he was in there. have both back in at same time, let freddy lead cj on a couple runs. i also would have liked to see Tashard Choice in, the power run game seemed to be working good yesteday, with Freddy and Summers. Maybe he didn't even dress? does anyone know? Choice that is.

Spiller should get in Hackett's face. His "here is the ball" running up the middle from the shotgun play that he calls doesn't play to Spiller's strength. Chan knew how to get Spiller the ball I'm space where he could use his speed (counters, screens, sweeps, pitches, reverses). Spiller isn't a run between the tackles back like Fred

I have to agree with this.

I disagree. If a coach has to design specific plays simply to get a RB into space and cannot hand the ball off to him and have him find the space, then that person is not a NFL caliber RB.

If Jackson can make positive yards with this line (he couldn't yesterday, but the Jets specifically were in "stop the run" mode) then any quality running back should, Spiller included.

I disagree. If a coach has to design specific plays simply to get a RB into space and cannot hand the ball off to him and have him find the space, then that person is not a NFL caliber RB.

If Jackson can make positive yards with this line (he couldn't yesterday, but the Jets specifically were in "stop the run" mode) then any quality running back should, Spiller included.

Have to play to your players strengths. Fred is a lot bigger and more of a physical runner than Spiller. Spiller's talent lies in the fact that he is usually the fastest guy on the field (Goodwin and Graham excluded). I think we need to use Fred for the tough runs and use Spiller as a change of pace back and be more creative with his plays

Obviously you are of the generic plug and play school of coaching. A RB is a RB, is a RB. There are few all around RBs that fit every possible role a RB may have. Realistically a "complete" RB is incredibly rare. Unfortunately we do not exist in a perfect world, so we are forced to use multiple RBs, each who are very good at particular roles that are good fits for particular situations.

Life is not a video game with only a few limited preset factors. It is about intricacies, about finding the right tool for the right job.

There are different types of RBs, Bowling Balls like Summers who just bulldoze their way forward. Bigger up the middle backs like Fred, who follow their blockers and try to squirt through the holes , and finesse speed runners like CJ who use use their speed and agility to outmaneuver the opponents and get free. Each have different strengths and different roles. A good coach learns to design schemes and plays that cater to the different types. There is a proper time and a proper place to use each of them. You use the right tool for the right job. Not just interchange them randomly.

Am I the only one who found Marrone's comments odd? I've never heard a coach say something like that.

Odd, yes, in the sense I have not heard that before either. Oddly refreshing though. I suspect had it not been such a resounding win, he would not have made an off the cuff jovial remark like that to the press.

LOL, I love this!!

Marrone pulled Spiller aside and said "The difference between me and you is I would be in their faces telling them what I thought of their blocking" and that it was up to Spiller to go do that...

Oline pass blocked very well today, but got eaten alive against a very tough Jet run front...

Umm yep.

Love Marrone for telling Spiller that but I also hope that he told CJ to hit those holes. I noticed he missing holes on the All-22.

I played OL in H.S. and College and I have been "urged on" by my running backs plenty of times. But it isn't all the lineman fault.

Can we stop with this myth? Chris Johnson is averaging a career low 3.8 ypc this year. http://espn.go.com/n...8/chris-johnson While Levitre is certainly better than our current LGs, he is not known as a great run blocker.

There are a number of reasons for Spiller's dropoff. Injuries (high ankle sprains are one of the worst injuries a rb can have) and game plan (Gailey was great at getting Spiller in space). Hopefully, the bye week helps him get healthy and Hackett watches tape of Spiller from last year. It's pretty crazy that this offense can put up 30 on a really good defense with Spiller having a game like that.

On Johnson's first td run the other night they went to give Levitre credit. They showed the highlight and talked about how great of a signing it was. The problem is that Levitre whiffed on the block and then held the guy to open the hole. They stopped real quick and tried to mention how for a great run you need te's and wr's to block so they showed the same play to highlight that, and both players were holding! :w00t:

Edited by section122

On Johnson's first td run the other night they went to give Levitre credit. They showed the highlight and talked about how great of a signing it was. The problem is that Levitre whiffed on the block and then held the guy to open the hole. They stopped real quick and tried to mention how for a great run you need te's and wr's to block so they showed the same play to highlight that, and both players were holding! :w00t:

Well, you know what they say in Madden..."Holding happens almost every play, its just when they decide to call it". I've only heard that about 1,000 times, lol

Well, you know what they say in Madden..."Holding happens almost every play, its just when they decide to call it". I've only heard that about 1,000 times, lol

I just laughed because they wanted so badly to give someone, anyone credit for a great block. The only problem was that all 3 players in the hole were holding lol.

Can we stop with this myth? Chris Johnson is averaging a career low 3.8 ypc this year. http://espn.go.com/n...8/chris-johnson While Levitre is certainly better than our current LGs, he is not known as a great run blocker.

There are a number of reasons for Spiller's dropoff. Injuries (high ankle sprains are one of the worst injuries a rb can have) and game plan (Gailey was great at getting Spiller in space). Hopefully, the bye week helps him get healthy and Hackett watches tape of Spiller from last year. It's pretty crazy that this offense can put up 30 on a really good defense with Spiller having a game like that.

To me they should have shut Spiller down when he first got hurt. I kinda blame that on Marrone.

But teams watch tape and the Bills are not putting Spiller in the best position in some cases. They need to put Fred and CJ on the field at the same time more often.

Against the Jets he had very little room to run. But see this is where the coaching staff is failing CJ. They could pitch the ball to him more or let me catch a quick pass out the backfield.

But losing Levitre has hurt the Bills screen game, he was very good at that. Still think they should have resigned him , sometimes keeping OL chemistry is more important than the fact they would have had to overpay to keep him and we would have better line depth.

With Fitz under center and with draw plays and counters perhaps. Fitz didn't stand in shotgun and say here is the ball now run up the middle like they do now. Big difference.

That sounds all well and good except for the fact that Spiller ran 96 of his 207 runs last season out of the shotgun for an average of 6.0ypc.

I find it completely stupid, though many fans love anything that includes "getting into the face" of players. That is the job of the coaches. Why should Spiller be generating hostility with his linemen?

Have to play to your players strengths. Fred is a lot bigger and more of a physical runner than Spiller. Spiller's talent lies in the fact that he is usually the fastest guy on the field (Goodwin and Graham excluded). I think we need to use Fred for the tough runs and use Spiller as a change of pace back and be more creative with his plays

So people's complaints are that the coaching staff thinks too much of CJ's talent? That they should use him as a 3rd down, scat back and not a "give it to him until he pukes" type player?

Hey, I'm on board with this but I've never thought of CJ as much more than what you're suggesting. Most of the people on this board who are complaining about the use of Spiller though are posters who thought he was something "special" and a top tier back. You're right, a top tier back should be able to run the ball without the need to have special plays called for him.