Marrone to Spiller: Get in the O Line's face

Big Turk

To me they should have shut Spiller down when he first got hurt. I kinda blame that on Marrone.

But teams watch tape and the Bills are not putting Spiller in the best position in some cases. They need to put Fred and CJ on the field at the same time more often.

Against the Jets he had very little room to run. But see this is where the coaching staff is failing CJ. They could pitch the ball to him more or let me catch a quick pass out the backfield.

But losing Levitre has hurt the Bills screen game, he was very good at that. Still think they should have resigned him , sometimes keeping OL chemistry is more important than the fact they would have had to overpay to keep him and we would have better line depth.

+1. The problem was they had to decide to pay Byrd or Levitre. They chose Byrd. Unfortunately, they could not close the deal with Byrd. They gambled and lost on both.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So people's complaints are that the coaching staff thinks too much of CJ's talent? That they should use him as a 3rd down, scat back and not a "give it to him until he pukes" type player?

Hey, I'm on board with this but I've never thought of CJ as much more than what you're suggesting. Most of the people on this board who are complaining about the use of Spiller though are posters who thought he was something "special" and a top tier back. You're right, a top tier back should be able to run the ball without the need to have special plays called for him.

Who cares what category people want to put him in? I want Spiller on the team because he has proven that he can be a versatile, and explosive player when used properly.

I also think they should use a 2nd or 3rd pick in this coming draft, on another running back (if there is a good one available when they select). FJ could hit the wall any day, and they need a complimentary tandem of RB's.

Who cares what category people want to put him in? I want Spiller on the team because he has proven that he can be a versatile, and explosive player when used properly.

I love that peole are still blaming the coaching staff and not Spiller himself. Spiller's struggles are a direct result of him not making good choices. There are plenty of opportunities he just doesn't see them.

Spiller has horrible vision and makes bad decisions with the ball (like running backwards 7 yards vs. the Jets.). He'll likely see less and less playing time until he improves. Teams now know that they simply have to set the edge vs. Spiller and not let him get outside and he'll be ineffective (hell, he'll make himself even more ineffective by trying to run outside the edge setter.) There are lots of explosive players in the league but unless they learn to actually play the position and not just rely on their natural gifts they rarely amount to much.

Edited by MDH

I'm in favour of drafting a young running back maybe in round 3 or 4 next April / May (have they decided whether they're moving the Draft yet?) I also think we need to draft two O-Line guys. I'd probably look for a left guard somewhere in the first two rounds and then try and find a guy as a bit of a project who could be a swing guy in the 5th or something like that.

Edited by GunnerBill