Bills Scout Manziel

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Not that I'm in favor of this, but the Bills apparently were scouting him, probably so is every other team at various points, but they were one of six teams listed.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/fox-sports-networks/story/Report-Cowboys-Dolphins-among-6-NFL-team?blockID=961497&feedID=11407

yep, and so was peyton manning after a few games

no. I'm kinda tired of hearing this. No one ever thought Manning was a bust, or even close.

Manning had crappy stats after a few games. There was never ever anyone who even thought he would not be a very good QB after those few games. Manning was basically Russell Wilson. The unquestioned leader from day one. They knew what they had in him.

EJ has crappy stats after a few games too. But more than that. EJ has crappy footwork/mechanics. EJ has not taken charge of the team (like Manning, Wilson, and others did). Manning would never have been confused with Captain Checkdown 2.0.

EJ . . . I just dont know. But he does not "feel" like he has that special something. It feels like he's a guy who plays QB, trying to do his best. It does not feel like he is killing himself to be the best QB ever.

I want a QB who is trying his very best to be the best QB ever. If its EJ, fine. If its Manziel, that's fine too.

Edited by maddenboy

Not sure if it's the way he's been used so far, but I would agree that the Bills need to prepare for what I think is likely - Manuel is not the answer. He isn't going to be used for his mobility because he's going to get hurt to easily. He hasn't shown great accuracy, nor great arm strength. I feel the Bills are more competitive with Lewis at QB. This is one of the deepest QB classes in years.

Zach Mettenberger, LSU

Taj Boyd, Clemson

Johnny Manziel, Texas A & M

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

Marcus Mariota, Oregon

Aaron Murray, Georgia

A.J. McCarron, Alabama

Sean Mannion, Oregon State

I'd feel better with almost any of these guys over what I've seen from Manuel

"yep, and so was peyton manning after a few games"

He only had two 300 yard games in his first five. Dumb comment.

Edited by buffaloaggie

Why not? I'm more of a Mariotta fan myself but there's little doubt in my mind we will be taking a QB at some point in the draft. This team is not as young of a team as many think and the window for turning things around will not be open long enough if Manuel needs as much time to develop as I think he will.

manning also threw 28 interceptions in his first season, and his team finished 3-13. EJ is better than that (even if you account for the missed games).

my point was that you can't judge a career after a few games, or even a season. plus play calling (well discussed in other topics here) has been suspect.

Not sure if it's the way he's been used so far, but I would agree that the Bills need to prepare for what I think is likely - Manuel is not the answer. He isn't going to be used for his mobility because he's going to get hurt to easily. He hasn't shown great accuracy, nor great arm strength. I feel the Bills are more competitive with Lewis at QB. This is one of the deepest QB classes in years.

Zach Mettenberger, LSU

Taj Boyd, Clemson

Johnny Manziel, Texas A & M

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

Marcus Mariota, Oregon

Aaron Murray, Georgia

A.J. McCarron, Alabama

Sean Mannion, Oregon State

I'd feel better with almost any of these guys over what I've seen from Manuel

"yep, and so was peyton manning after a few games"

This. sigh...I just want to win

I hope the Bills are scouting more than Manziel. FYI, here's a bit from Chris Dufresne's column in today's LA Times. If you want to read the entire column, here's the link. He raises some interesting questions, like why is Alabama in first place with the 66th most difficult schedule: http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/la-sp-1114-dufresne-college-football-20131114,0,1290855.column?page=2#axzz2keBykerc

"• Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M and Gary Nova of Rutgers have each had 11 passes intercepted this season. Only five major college quarterbacks have thrown more interceptions than Manziel and Nova.

• Why did Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota's Heisman campaign get flushed just because his team dropped to No. 6 after a loss to Stanford?

Mariota played with a sprained knee ligament and still threw for two touchdowns in a six-point defeat. Mariota has 22 touchdown passes this season and no interceptions.

Manziel and Mariota are both third-year sophomores. Manziel has four career losses, all at home. Mariota has two career losses, by nine total points.

• Why does Manziel deserve to win a second Heisman before Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron wins his first?

You could understand it last season because McCarron threw a key interception in the Crimson Tide's loss to Texas A&M. But McCarron defeated Manziel this season, in College Station. McCarron finished with four touchdown passes and no interceptions. Manziel had five touchdown passes and two interceptions.

There have been only three Alabama games this season in which McCarron has had a pass intercepted. There have been only three Texas A&M games this season in which Manziel has not had a pass intercepted.

McCarron is 34-2 as a starter with a career touchdown-to-interception ratio of 68 to 11. He has won two national titles and is on his way to a third."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.