How to Hire a Private Chef

Okay, so August 12th, 2014 will be my parents' 40th wedding anniversary. They have rented a house for the week in the Outer Banks (NC), and are inviting immediate family to celebrate with them. When discussing potential anniversary gifts, my Sister suggested that we hire a private chef to prepare a "high-end formal" dinner for the family on their anniversary date. I have searched on-line quite a bit, but I have had minimal success. I found one guy who serves the Hatteras Island area. I left him a message last week and he has yet to return my call.

Has anyone ever hired a private chef to cater a dinner party? Anyone have recommendations as to particular websites that might be helpful? Anyone familiar with private chefs in the Outer Banks (Hatteras Island) area? Given that this is a prominent vacation area, one might assume that private chefs/caterers would be high in supply and demand....no?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mod's please merge...apparently I malfunctioned.

id imagine a mixed bag out there.... high tourism but thats super seasonal, and a pretty remote location.

maybe try contacting some restaurants or hotels in the area (i know its mostly private house rentals) and see if any of their staff would be interested in it or able to point you to someone that is?

or some of these: http://www.outerbanks.org/outerbanks-chefs-and-specialty-services/

Edited by NoSaint

Just see if Bandit, Jauronimo and Chef Jim are available.

I'd ask Bandit, but he has twins to deal with. I have a feeling Jauronimo would poison my family, and Chef Jim's plane ticket would be too expensive.

id imagine a mixed bag out there.... high tourism but thats super seasonal, and a pretty remote location.

maybe try contacting some restaurants or hotels in the area (i know its mostly private house rentals) and see if any of their staff would be interested in it or able to point you to someone that is?

or some of these: http://www.outerbank...ialty-services/

Good suggestions! I'll have to call some of those places.

Don't assume anything about how expensive it would be. My fee and whether or not you even have to pay for my ticket would depend on three things.

How much booze, what kind of booze and what will be my access to it?

Hmmmm, maybe Vader's edit was spot on.

Don't assume anything about how expensive it would be. My fee and whether or not you even have to pay for my ticket would depend on three things.

How much booze, what kind of booze and what will be my access to it?

Hmmmm, maybe Vader's edit was spot on.

Would you like some advice on what booze you should ask for?

Johnny H congrats to your family for this celebration. I hope it goes well.

Would you like some advice on what booze you should ask for?

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice. And if there is one kind of advice I don't need that is one pertaining to the consumption of alcohol.

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice. And if there is one kind of advice I don't need that is one pertaining to the consumption of alcohol.

Well, I was going to suggest the 2012 vintage of chocolate madog 20/20 but I can only guess that you will choose something less suitable. Have it your way.

Your handle is appropriate. Thanks for the info friend. Couple of these links look really promising.

Craigslist. You can find a anything on there.

I'm looking for a private chef, not a tranny hooker....

Muchas gracias BB!!

I have done some private chef stuff, and my brother had some great gigs in Newport, including one of the mansions. He did lots of parties. But funny thing was when he cooked for family they would mostly request fries chicken. One great perk was after my brother worked thanksgivings, he would show up late at my place with several great bottles of wine

As far as your question, I would find out some of the better restaurants and caterers in area. Ideally I would sample menus, find who's style I liked, and inquire about their services or recomendation

Edited by Pete