Well as of right now we draft 6th

Kellyto83TD

Some fans can't help it, and some still revere Buddy Nix as a great GM.

I can recall the NFL network the moment TJ Graham was selected by the Bills. Mike Mayock started ruffling thru his papers trying to find something on Graham. Then they went to a commercial and when they returned all Mayock could say was is that he had Graham graded as a later then a 5th round pick....the 7th round to be exact. Buddy Nix patted himself on the back after he announced he had traded up one spot (given up a 7th rounder) to draft Graham. Stating who says we don't trade up.

http://www.nfldrafts...SC&startspot=30

Looking at the 2013 draft with Whaley making the choices, I can only think the stupidity has ended.

I would still like to know who pulled the trigger on the Maybin pick. Jauron was kind of made the scapegoat for that pick but I call BS on that. If jauron did make the pick wouldn't he of made more of an effort to get Maybin playing time instead of having him ride the bench. I got a feeling Nix had his hand on that pick also even though he wasn't the GM at the time. & oh boy what a dumb pick that was when Orakpo/Cushing were still on the board. & yes a ton of posters on this board at the time could not believe the Bills passed those 2 over Maybin & I was one of them. It was reported that when the Bills made the pick of AM that several other teams tables could be seen laughing because it was such a stupid pick.

Edited by Gordio

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has been said on here over and over again but we need to stop trying to point the finger at 1 person drafted this guy vs. that guy. It is a large staff that makes these decisions collectively (especially early in the draft). I know it is easy to say that Buddy did this and Whaley did that. In reality, there are many people involved not only in the scouting but in the decision.

I would still like to know who pulled the trigger on the Maybin pick. Jauron was kind of made the scapegoat for that pick but I call BS on that. If jauron did make the pick wouldn't he of made more of an effort to get Maybin playing time instead of having him ride the bench. I got a feeling Nix had his hand on that pick also even though he wasn't the GM at the time. & oh boy what a dumb pick that was when Orakpo/Cushing were still on the board. & yes a ton of posters on this board at the time could not believe the Bills passed those 2 over Maybin & I was one of them. It was reported that when the Bills made the pick of AM that several other teams tables could be seen laughing because it was such a stupid pick.

DURING THE DONAHOE GUY MODRAK ERA , ALOT DRAFT AND FREE AGENT MOVES WERE TO SAY THE LEAST DYSFUNCTION! the acted independently like mini fifedoms, which led to the donte, maybin and lynch picks among others

.while MR.WILSON gets blame for bad choices in most cases it a consortium of people and he merely agrees ,WHEN you have a corporation which inreality every nfl is, you have to rely on advice from others ,in sports errors are magnified because of fans,,..ask yourself does jerry jones or synders meddling make their teams better?

that being said the pick that kept me awake involved a trade , passed on , a exchange of picks with the 49ers . we wouldve been able to get p willis, we passed .. now that was "stupid",,..maybin over cushing or mathews that was nightmarish, but donte over ngata was assinine!l..look at a former GM for your answer..

by the way has BILL POLIAN ever said who it was the Bills almost traded for and he was talked out of? hes mentioned hes regretted not doing it several times but said he could say because of his position ,at the time he was gm of the colts.

Ask CEO Russ Brandon next time you see him, as he was in the room.

I don't agonize over what could have been, or should have been. But it does make me realize the stupidity that manifested itself year after year in regime after regime.

I"m just happy that the Bills now have a new young GM, and am happy to know that older folks like ex head scout Tom Modrak & Buddy Nix are no longer calling the shots.

What this new GM does this 2014 off season and draft will be very foretelling as to what the future holds for this team. The Bills needs from what I see, an OLB, a LG, a TE, a RT, and perhaps a safety if they let Byrd leave.

From NFL.com ..Team needs: OT, safety, DE

Analysis: The Bills could use another offensive tackle as well as some youth at defensive end. Buffalo linebacker/pass rusher Khalil Mack would be a very popular pick, and his versatility would give defensive coordinator Mike Pettine a lot of flexibility.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288658/article/2014-nfl-draft-order-top-three-needs-for-all-32-teams

A 14 year playoff drought is pretty damn hard to do in the NFL. Stupid decisions like trading up for Graham are part of the reason why. Stop making excuses for the Bills.

I'm not making excuses at all. I'm trying to point out that there are many valid areas where one can blame the Bills......but to call the Bills horrendous for not drafting Wilson when there was no team in the NFL that gave him more than a miniscule chance of becoming a top QB is illogical and wrong.

Just a few areas where you would get no "excuses" from me if you argued them are:-

Drafting extremely few solid(let alone good or great) players over a 10+ year period.

Not placing enough emphasis on trying to obtain a top QB.....and using questionable methods when they did.

Bringing in bad GMs, coaches......which led to the continual changing of schemes....which led to the letting go of some of the few actual good players we had.

Having no apparent long term team building/cap plan.

etc etc etc.

Since his post was directed at me.....and I certainly don't fit into that category(a fan that can't help it)......you can shove your comment up your clacker. :nana:

.....and who are these Nix loving fans you speak of? I have never seen anybody proclaiming their love of him. The closest is those that believe that his drafting ability might have been considered underrated(as until this season it was considered to be terrible).

I'm confused as to why it is a horrendous mistake to pass on a player in the draft who has been passed on 74 times prior.

Because he was a promising QB prospect available in the 3rd to a team w/ dire need at the position.

Most teams that passed on him either had their guy, had drafted a QB early w/n the past 2 years, or drafted a QB in that draft. There's no indication that other teams thought he wasn't worthy of a 3rd...except the Bills.

I can recall the NFL network the moment TJ Graham was selected by the Bills. Mike Mayock started ruffling thru his papers trying to find something on Graham. Then they went to a commercial and when they returned all Mayock could say was is that he had Graham graded as a later then a 5th round pick....the 7th round to be exact. Buddy Nix patted himself on the back after he announced he had traded up one spot (given up a 7th rounder) to draft Graham. Stating who says we don't trade up.

http://www.nfldrafts...SC&startspot=30

Looking at the 2013 draft with Whaley making the choices, I can only think the stupidity has ended.

Can't say that I've ever heard someone say that.

I would dump Stevie, maybe package him with somebody drafting higher than us, swap picks, and move forward. He has become the focus of this team without doing much to earn it, other than to drop important passes and act like a moron.

Yup. THere is a reason why he was a 7th Round draft pick. He lacks concentration.

I say trade up for Clowney , with Williams and Clowney who cares about the offense .The other teams will never score and we just kick very long field goals.

But can they stop the Run. We gave up 150+ yards to the Steelers and Falcons who were bottom feeders in running the football. If this defense wants to be a Rex Ryan led defense, then it has to first learn to STOP the RUN!

Actually 10 other teams besides the Bills didn't think Russell Wilson was worth a 3rd round pick.

However I really wish we had taken him too. Especially over Graham.

The link didn't work for me. If the point is that 10 teams picked in the 3rd before he came off the board therefore all 10 of those teams didn't think he was worthy of a 3rd, then it's flawed logic because it ignores the possibility that those teams may have just had greater needs at other positions.

If on the other hand 10 GMs said he didn't have a 3rd rd grade, that's a different story.

Doesn't matter what the rest of the GM's were doing, the fact of the matter was that WE had no developmental QB and there was a guy there with unquestionable talent, character, skill set, leadership etc….just not height, and a very very high ceiling if he were to pan out. A lot of people knew this before the draft (See all of the threads at 2BD) and would have thought a 3 would have been fair value for, at WORST, Fitz #2 with a shot to be #1 within a season.

We had a need for a QB well above a gadget WR from a crap football program. That non-pick, for me, will forever define Nix as a GM. The more I like Wilson as a person/player…..the more angry it makes me. Nix should get a ring if Seattle wins it this year.

Welp, draft guru Mel Kiper just said on Mike & Mike he doesn't think there is a franchise QB in this upcoming draft with Mariota not returning. He said 3 or 4 will be drafted in the 1st round but not sure any of them will become what these teams need and does not think a QB will be drafted #1 overall.

So who follows college football enough to tell me the difference between TEs Amaro and Ebron?

I have watched Ebron quite a bit. He is a beast & a mismatch nightmare for any defensive cordinator. Put a DB on him & he is going to muscle the football away from him 9 out of 10 times. Put a LB on him & he will run right past him. I would have no problem at all if the Bills selected Ebron. He would do wonders for the redzone offense. I have not seen as much of Amaro play. I am always skeptical of skilled players from Texas Tech.

So who follows college football enough to tell me the difference between TEs Amaro and Ebron?

Ebron is smaller, faster, and quicker. He's like an oversized WR. Amaro is taller, has more of a basketball build, and utilizes his size more. Not to say he's slow, but he's not as fast as Ebron. I'd rather have Amaro just b/c he seems a little smoother, but both have a lot of potential.

UB Bowl Bound

watch our pick Khalil Mack one last time....

UB will play its first bowl game since January of 2009 when it meets San Diego State of the Mountain West Conference in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl at 5:30 p.m. (EDT) Dec. 21 in Boise, Idaho. The Bulls received word of their placement late this afternoon.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/campus/2013/12/ub-gets-san-diego-st-in-boise.html

UB Bowl Bound

watch our pick Khalil Mack one last time....

UB will play its first bowl game since January of 2009 when it meets San Diego State of the Mountain West Conference in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl at 5:30 p.m. (EDT) Dec. 21 in Boise, Idaho. The Bulls received word of their placement late this afternoon.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/campus/2013/12/ub-gets-san-diego-st-in-boise.html