REAL facts of EJ before injury and the QB's that filled in

Alphadawg7

All day the shout box was littered with false statements of how bad EJ was prior to injury and that somehow Thad and Tuel weren't. Well, lets look at real facts to help refresh some perspective around here.

Total QBR before this game for each of our QB's.

EJ 42.2

Thad 19.1

Tuel 9.6

WOW...how can anyone say EJ was awful prior to injury when his QBR was more than double the next closest guy?

Facts:

-Won rookie of the week

-Led 4th quarter win by driving field under 2 min with no timeouts against the NUMBER ONE ranked PASS defense in the NFL (Carolina) and 3rd ranked D overall.

-Had us in position to beat Pats but penalties and dropped passes lost us that game

-Put 24 points in 3 quarters on Cleveland (tough D) and was driving for the lead late when he got hurt.

-Played solid in win over SB Champs

-Made some big throws in multiple games showing great touch and great arm strength.

-Has made plays with his legs

-Missed half of preseason as a rookie with injury

-Missed half regular season as a rookie with knee injury (something both physical and psychological to overcome and trust again)

-EJ Wins - 2...Thad and Tuel COMBINED wins - 1 (and Tuel lost a game where EJ was playing well and driving us late for the lead and came out with a pick 6 to seal the loss)

Yes he played bad today and in the Jets game. But he played good enough in the first 5 games he appeared in to show he is a better option than anyone on this team and someone worth developing and letting him play this season out and build on his career.

VERY FEW ROOKIE QB'S COME IN AND LIGHT THE NFL ON FIRE. Patience people...patience. Time will tell what he will or won't be, not this stupid game against the Steelers.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this juncture we can only be concerned about EJ being injury prone.

He hasn't played enough in pre-season and the regular-season to form any qualified opinions.

Agreed. Although, weirdly I think his injury made me feel better about his durability. When I saw the hit on his knee, it was bad and i thought for sure he was done for the year. Its not like Stevie who gets hurt tying his shoes, he took a major shot on his knee in both injuries and ended up missing the minimal time.

That shows me the kid is tough. Bad luck does not equate to injury prone, and most guys would have been done for the year with the kind of hits in the knee he has taken. So, I am not yet worried about injury issues with him than I would be with any other player.

Manuel was a 1st round pick. Compare him to other first round picks to be fair. Or how about 2nd or 3rd round picks? Comparing him to two undrafted players with as many career starts combined as Manuel is not a fair comparison.

Go look up the beloved russel Wilson's first 5-6 starts. Come back and post them. Bet you won't.

Manuel was a 1st round pick. Compare him to other first round picks to be fair. Or how about 2nd or 3rd round picks? Comparing him to two undrafted players with as many career starts combined as Manuel is not a fair comparison.

EJ has not yet had a game anywhere near as bad as Geno's worst...so what do you want me to compare? How many rookie QB's are playing this year...oh yeah, 3 and 2 of them are on our team.

Ej has shown me nothing to say he is a franchise QB. He hesitates and thinks too much which lead to late and inaccurate throws. He has horrible mechanics however they can be fixed. He misses a lot of throws because of his mechanics and footwork. Don't know how many times I have heard an announcer say if he would have set his feet that was a TD. He just flat out doesn't throw to open receivers down the field and dumps the ball off. Idk if that's by design or what but they are on the field and open. With no pressure and a good pocket he throws a 3 yard pass in the dirt. His touch on short passes needs work. His outs need more zip. He has a receiver open and throws him covered. Now let me list the good things he has done. Umm... He dinked and dunked us down the field on a defense playing prevent in preseason. He dinked and dunked us down the field against the panthers playing prevent. Ummmm....

Ej has shown me nothing to say he is a franchise QB. He hesitates and thinks too much which lead to late and inaccurate throws. He has horrible mechanics however they can be fixed. He misses a lot of throws because of his mechanics and footwork. Don't know how many times I have heard an announcer say if he would have set his feet that was a TD. He just flat out doesn't throw to open receivers down the field and dumps the ball off. Idk if that's by design or what but they are on the field and open. With no pressure and a good pocket he throws a 3 yard pass in the dirt. His touch on short passes needs work. His outs need more zip. He has a receiver open and throws him covered. Now let me list the good things he has done. Umm... He dinked and dunked us down the field on a defense playing prevent in preseason. He dinked and dunked us down the field against the panthers playing prevent. Ummmm....

No one on this board has said he doesnt have a lot of work to do. But this kid HAS shown lots of promise in multiple games, just like he has made mistakes. Guess what, he has made less turnovers and mistakes than Thad and Tuel. Mechanics can be fixed and everyone knew that would be something they have to work on with him.

All anyone is saying is that its absurd to act like the other QB's have grossly outplayed him as some want to claim or that EJ is a bust this early in his career. I mean this kid has missed so much time and no one seems to think that matters even though he plays the most difficult position in all of team sports.

EJ has not yet had a game anywhere near as bad as Geno's worst...so what do you want me to compare? How many rookie QB's are playing this year...oh yeah, 3 and 2 of them are on our team.

that comes next week when the Jets come to town.

All day the shout box was littered with false statements of how bad EJ was prior to injury and that somehow Thad and Tuel weren't. Well, lets look at real facts to help refresh some perspective around here.

As was mentioned in the shout box, a first round pick is held to a higher standard than 2 undrafted players. You have expectations for one, not so much for the others. It is too early to know about Manuel. I don't like his footwork and I don't like the quick checkdowns. The poor footwork leads to his accuracy issues. Maybe those things can be fixed, maybe not. What I do know is that I do not want to wait 3-4 years before the team makes up its mind. QB should be no lower than the #3 priority next offseason.

As was mentioned in the shout box, a first round pick is held to a higher standard than 2 undrafted players. You have expectations for one, not so much for the others. It is too early to know about Manuel. I don't like his footwork and I don't like the quick checkdowns. The poor footwork leads to his accuracy issues. Maybe those things can be fixed, maybe not. What I do know is that I do not want to wait 3-4 years before the team makes up its mind. QB should be no lower than the #3 priority next offseason.

...but he won rookie of the week one week!

I guess, I just don't get the rush many have to declare what priority qb should be next year. We have 2 months of seeing the guy play still left.

The thing that is frustrating is that my expectation of Manuel--maybe it is way off base-- was that we were getting a strong, mobile QB, who had excellent accuracy, mechanics, and could make all the throws. I expected him to go through the normal rookie learning curve--of throwing bad picks, making poor reads, needing time to grasp the speed of the game. Frankly, something like what Geno Smith has looked like so far.

But I was not expecting someone with such ragged mechanics and no real confidence in being able to throw downfield. That is what is scary. What we saw today was the a combination of Fitz mechanics and Trent Edwards tentativeness.

this but # 1