Broncos' OL walks away from game

bills44

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect many will say "good for him," but I think he's a real jerk off. He made a committment and was well paid for it, and now he up and quits mid- season leaving his team w/o O-line depth while they're in the midst of a SB run. There's no honor in that. Play out the season and then retire. I'm sure they'd have found better depth had they known he wouldn't be around.

I expect many will say "good for him," but I think he's a real jerk off. He made a committment and was well paid for it, and now he up and quits mid- season leaving his team w/o O-line depth while they're in the midst of a SB run. There's no honor in that. Play out the season and then retire. I'm sure they'd have found better depth had they known he wouldn't be around.

I do find myself agreeing with you on this one. It also reminds me of when Schobel dragged out his "I'm going to retire, but maybe not" saga and it handcuffed the team.

I agree. He was more than happy to take a payday. Now he doesn't feel like it.

I concur. To quit midseason is to be a quitter and to negatively affect your teammates and team. This is a really selfish move.

On a side note, this reminds of Brad Butler (who appropriately walked away in the offseason). Wonder what he's up to and whether he has any regrets.

Butler went into politics i think. Not sure how he is doing but i think he was from virginia?

On a side note, this reminds of Brad Butler (who appropriately walked away in the offseason). Wonder what he's up to and whether he has any regrets.

Sort of. I recall that he retired after the draft and many free agents were also gone by then.

i agree with this to a certain extent, but i have to play devil's advocate here. if he is on the team and his heart and head are not in the game, if he is not giving forth the effort and commitment demanded to play in the nfl, then he is doing a huge disservice to his teammates and coaches. if this man has no more love for the game and no will to carry on, it is better to leave now then become a distraction/locker room cancer.

Brad Butler left. He could still be playing on the Bills OL right now.

butler seemed to be a lot more passionate about his life off the field than on, and i have no ill will towards him. in fact, i have a lot of respect for him. to be an nfl player i think you need to be all in, it's definitely not a career choice you can just half-@$$.

I agree. This is a pretty basic life lesson most people are taught - in their childhood - when they join a team then realize that sport is not for them. The kids with good parents are told to play through the season because their teammates are counting on their availability/contributions.

I can't in any way relate to it, except to say he quit a job. Any employer would feel the sting of a highly skilled employee quitting suddenly. Happens every day... He had a job with a contract...Albeit a non-guaranteed contract. A job many of us can only dream about. I hope he is genuinely happy and made the right choice.

In the end, who knows better whats best for him and his family. Quitting on the team is definitely a valid viewpoint. So is lost passion, unhappiness, and concern for one's health. Perhaps he has legitimate personal reasons beyond what he chose to share with the media? Perhaps honor and personal responsibility are not his priorities career wise? Who knows?

Edited by SmokinES3

I too perceive the NFL as pure business.

Except the Bills, they are old school under Coach Marrone.

Playing for peanuts and sleeping on the bus eating McDoanalds cheesburgers and playing with broken bits bleeding and dirty uniforms.

For the love of the game and the team. curremt example Kiko Alonso.

Did the guy put his two weeks in or walk out ? Thats all this NFL really is these days. Business.

Not for profit ? my behind :bag:

Why is it the NFL is a business when the owner makes a move to cut a player but it's somehow different when a guy walks away? he left money on the table. It would be the same as most of us walking out on our jobs. He shouldn't be held to a higher standard because of his profession. If you walk out and quit your job in the middle of busy season, are you going to be chastised for quitting your teammates? No you wouldn't be, and in this cuthroat business that is the NFL no one would blink an eye if ownership cut him. not sure I see the difference here.

Why is it the NFL is a business when the owner makes a move to cut a player but it's somehow different when a guy walks away? he left money on the table. It would be the same as most of us walking out on our jobs. He shouldn't be held to a higher standard because of his profession. If you walk out and quit your job in the middle of busy season, are you going to be chastised for quitting your teammates? No you wouldn't be, and in this cuthroat business that is the NFL no one would blink an eye if ownership cut him. not sure I see the difference here.

Completely agree. I don't understand why it's acceptable for a player to get cut (fired) midseason but if he wants to quit then he's some sort of sell out. The same things were said about Ricky Williams when he quit, but no one ever had an issue when he was cut. Double standard