What is a catch in the NFL?

A catch to me should be full possession of the ball with two feet in bounds, the ball must be in control when the receiver either goes out of bounds or hits the ground with either his knee/butt/elbow etc... any point in time after this...whether it be sliding on the ground, rolling, etc and the ball jars loose it shoulod be considered either down by contact (if hes been touched) or a fumble...

Essentially, Had goodwin not been touched on the play by the Chiefs DB then him loosing the ball would have been a fumble on the field rather than an incomplete pass.

The way the rules are written right now...if a receiver makes a catch going out of bounds and hits a cameraman or another player and looses the ball it should be ruled an incomplete pass. How crazy is that?!

Edited by TallskiWallski83

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The replays are getting too long and the rule really needs to be changed. Two rules need to be amended. If a player brings the ball to the ground in bounds but clearly protects the ball from hitting the ground the pass should be a completion and a dead ball at the spot. It should not matter if the ball is moving or if it comes out. The second rule change should be the same as the college rule for dead ball. If the ball carriers knee hits the ground it's a dead ball. Injuries would be reduced replay time outs would be shortened. The result would be far less replays and challenges.

The reaction from our TBDers in general begs an even greater question at what point do you believe the NFL is fixed?

My take from lots of threads here, not fixed in general, it's just the Bills get screwed constantly and the league conspires against them every game..

My take from lots of threads here, not fixed in general, it's just the Bills get screwed constantly and the league conspires against them every game..

BVS, aka Buffalo Victim Syndrome :cry: , is a horrible affliction with no known cure. Try not to catch it as it will cloud your judgement on all things Bills and Sabres. :blink:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He had control when he hit the ground and at that point he was down by contract: play over. What happened after the play was over shouldn't matter. That was a catch.

This is the way I saw it. The KC guy was rolling on top of him. Goodwin has possession all of the way down and maintains on the ground. Done! Why does it have to be so complicated? It's like a team of lawyers have taken over NFL rules and the interpretation of them.

This is the way I saw it. The KC guy was rolling on top of him. Goodwin has possession all of the way down and maintains on the ground. Done! Why does it have to be so complicated? It's like a team of lawyers have taken over NFL rules and the interpretation of them.

its because a million fans will replay every borderline call 1,000 times in super slo mo and cry foul if theres any inconsistency.

you cant have it both ways. either the rules have to be specific and complex or you have to be ok with (even more) inconsistent calls.

i still havent seen anyone, in any forum or debate or article blasting the rule even come close to better defining a catch. i think it speaks to how tough it really is, and generally speaking that the nfl doesnt do as poorly as most think.

To me everything went downhill with the Calvin Johnson 'catch'. In trying to defend the officiating crew from that game, the NFL has caused a lot of confusion surrounding catch rules.

My take was Goodwin made contact with the turf with what seemed like two different motions after he came down with the ball. I would love to see/hear a replay and see when the whistle was blown (it should have been on the intial contact with turf as I believe he was touching a defender), but by my understanding, what the NFL is saying by these rulings is because he wasn't in possession of the ball the play was still on going. So wouldn't this mean that had Goodwin maintained possession he could have got up and run? You can't be tackled or down contact before you have possession can you?

I don't think the league conspires against the Bills, in particular. But, I do think they conspire to promote favorable story lines to sell tickets and ratings for big game match ups. And having KC undefeated going into the Denver game is a big deal. Every Sunday, there are multiple calls in multiple games that favor a better storyline outcome. These calls don't necessarily ensure any particular team wins, but they certainly make it easier.

The Bills being in a small market, with no good rivalry, with no good story to promote ratings, get the short end of most all of these highly subjective calls. Ask any true Denver fan and they'll tell you all about the number of favorable calls the Broncos are getting this year.

The thing which was so frustratin gon Sunday to me was that the ref on top of the play called it a catch.

Then you had some over tanned Charlton Heston looking old man running in and over ruling it. Just same old crap.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about earlier in the thread.........And, the 2nd guy's opinion always wins, even though he wasn't on top of the play.............If it had been ruled a catch, I bet it would have been upheld as a catch.

I don't think the league conspires against the Bills, in particular. But, I do think they conspire to promote favorable story lines to sell tickets and ratings for big game match ups. And having KC undefeated going into the Denver game is a big deal. Every Sunday, there are multiple calls in multiple games that favor a better storyline outcome. These calls don't necessarily ensure any particular team wins, but they certainly make it easier.

The Bills being in a small market, with no good rivalry, with no good story to promote ratings, get the short end of most all of these highly subjective calls. Ask any true Denver fan and they'll tell you all about the number of favorable calls the Broncos are getting this year.

Neutral fans around the league have seemed to embrace the Bills when they've shown signs of life, in my experience. Next year we'll be a quality football team, it may make sense for the league to help us out a bit. An underdog and a redemption story all in one, with marketable players like Manuel, Kiko, Mario, Stevie, the RBs. One can hope.

Or if we get on a run now.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Yeah, that's what I was talking about earlier in the thread.........And, the 2nd guy's opinion always wins, even though he wasn't on top of the play.............If it had been ruled a catch, I bet it would have been upheld as a catch.

because the only time a second guy generally comes in is if he saw a ball come loose that the other couldnt see. if he didnt think he had something definitive to add, he wouldnt chime in to begin with

Edited by NoSaint

I don't believe that at all. While the NFL loves a good story, I believe the fault lies with their Officials and grading system. The Officials know they are being watched, and consciously or unconsciously tend to make favorable calls for "good teams". On replays, they tend not to overturn unless it is 100% definitive. It just easier to justify in their mind that a "good team" player made a good play. The "bad team" guy probably didn't, was holding, interefered with th WR etc. The ball was only visible in part of the replay, so he upheld the call on the field. I really hated the first official calling it a catch and the official further away overruling him. That has to stop, but it looked like a catch.