The Bills Have Hired a Director of Analytics

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the Bills would hire a "Western New York native with twenty years of experience at Xerox." Real franchises hire people from top consulting firms, like Bain, B.C.G., and McKinsey, or top accounting firms like Deloitte/KPMG. Russ Brandon is a joke.

Look: Lyons is an o.k. hire, with solid experience, but I don't expect the team to hire the right people under him. Expect Russ to instruct him to hire Syracuse and U.B. grads, rather than the former associate consultants hired by most N.F.L. firms.

Edited by ny33

Which interview? I heard him on wgr this morning say that he wouldn't be involved in game planning or decisions. Unless it was meant as a supporting function and not actual "coaching".

It was the WGR interview. He was asked the question about "cards" by either Howard or Jeremy, and he replied with a "yes".

Per Brandon's interview, this role may include providing cards for Marrone to use on the sideline to help him make decisions in various game situations. Pretty cool.

Are you serious or joking. I cant tell.

I hope our coach wouldnt need to reference cards when making in game decisions.

Can you imagine its late in the 4th and 4th down and they show a shot of Marrone looking at cue cards then signaling for the offense to stay on the field?

CBF

Are you serious or joking. I cant tell.

I hope our coach wouldnt need to reference cards when making in game decisions.

Can you imagine its late in the 4th and 4th down and they show a shot of Marrone looking at cue cards then signaling for the offense to stay on the field?

CBF

I'd be quite alright if he had a paper just like his play sheet for odd situational calls he might face. Obviously you want him to get the basics, and advanced, but sometimes it's not terrible to have a quick reference for important decisions.

I'd be quite alright if he had a paper just like his play sheet for odd situational calls he might face. Obviously you want him to get the basics, and advanced, but sometimes it's not terrible to have a quick reference for important decisions.

I understand that point and agree to an extent but at what point do we draw the line?

Great HC's are ones who make clutch decisions and have proven results.

I just dont want to end up with a coach who may rely more on analytics then gut calls.

CBF

MIT and 25 years at Xerox. Wow......I heard he was #1 on Kiper's board and #3 on McShay's.

Also, he's on the wrong side of 45. And McShay had him #1 also, but in the production meeting the bosses told him to drop it to #3. Makes for better (fake) TV (arguments) or something.

I understand that point and agree to an extent but at what point do we draw the line?

I just dont want to end up with a coach who may rely more on analytics then gut calls.

CBF

Understanding probabilities in a particular scenario is important in helping to make the correct decision. Smart organizations employ analytics rather than the old "gut feeling" that often leads to the wrong outcome.

ive seen him mentioned before and was always surprised he didnt get more media attention. i couldnt even tell you his name, but recall reading a passing article on their analytics department a few years ago and the guy that was, in theory, really changing the way teams were looking at the game.

It's amazing everyone overlooks this guy. I forgot where I read about or heard it but the premise is that guy was the brains behind the hoodie.

I think he either has autism or aspergers but is unreal at numbers and signals. From what I remember at least.

CBF

ideally, its simply another tool to help make decisions - not a replacement for actual decision making.

As an example oh how it can be used....anytime you cross the 50 yd line between the 50 to 30 yard area you plan on going into 4th down territory. And if you change your strategy knowing ahead of time you are going to go for it between the 50 to 30 yd area, the way you call plays on first second and third will change because you will be giving yourself fourth down.

An obvious passing situation like 2nd and 9 or 3rd and 6 where you are more likely to have a safety and LBs drop into coverage instead of loading 8 in the box will be optilmal times to run with a high probability to get 4 or 5 yds.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Found two articles on the Pats and analytics...

this one on game planning...

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/409473/analytics-in-football/

this one on season ticket holder renewals...

http://www.targetmarketingmag.com/article/new-england-patriots-use-analytics-and-trigger-emails-retain-season-ticket-holders/1

Only the Bills would hire a "Western New York native with twenty years of experience at Xerox." Real franchises hire people from top consulting firms, like Bain, B.C.G., and McKinsey, or top accounting firms like Deloitte/KPMG. Russ Brandon is a joke.

Look: Lyons is an o.k. hire, with solid experience, but I don't expect the team to hire the right people under him. Expect Russ to instruct him to hire Syracuse and U.B. grads, rather than the former associate consultants hired by most N.F.L. firms.

Might be harder to get Fortune 500 talent to take the same jobs in the Rust Belt region when most major companies and firms are centered in NYC and other major cities.