Best Tailgating: Buffalo?

My fellow Bills Fans, help me settle a bet.

I was arguing with a friend here in Seattle about fans, tailgating, etc. And I told him more than one article has rated Bills fans the best tailgaters in the NFL. He denies it. I win dinner if I prove him wrong. More importantly, I strike a blow for Bills fans everywhere defending our honor, despite losing 4 consecutive Super Bowls and not making the playoffs since the invention of the cell phone.

What I have so far is that back in 2008, SI put a couple guys in a RV and sent them out to tour all 32 venues. They rated the Bills #1 in tailgating:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/fansurvey/2008/tailgating.html

That may be enough to win the bet but I want a slam-dunk victory and know there's more evidence out there.

There are lots of best tailgating lists but most aren't written by someone who actually visited all the venues - and therefore don't rate us on top. But I recall someone - besides the SI folks - actually visited all 32 teams to rate the tailgating and also came up with Buffalo as top of the list. There may be other articles about the superiority of Bills tailgating and Bills fandom in general, but my googling is leaving me high and dry.

If anyone can add to my argument, I would greatly appreciate it.

I was arguing with a friend here in Seattle about fans, tailgating, etc. And I told him more than one article has rated Bills fans the best tailgaters in the NFL. He denies it. I win dinner if I prove him wrong. More importantly, I strike a blow for Bills fans everywhere defending our honor, despite losing 4 consecutive Super Bowls and not making the playoffs since the invention of the cell phone.

What I have so far is that back in 2008, SI put a couple guys in a RV and sent them out to tour all 32 venues. They rated the Bills #1 in tailgating:

http://sportsillustr...tailgating.html

That may be enough to win the bet but I want a slam-dunk victory and know there's more evidence out there.

There are lots of best tailgating lists but most aren't written by someone who actually visited all the venues - and therefore don't rate us on top. But I recall someone - besides the SI folks - actually visited all 32 teams to rate the tailgating and also came up with Buffalo as top of the list. There may be other articles about the superiority of Bills tailgating and Bills fandom in general, but my googling is leaving me high and dry.

ive only been to ralph Wilson stadium but I can tell you it is pretty tough to beat. and that's awesome were ranked 1. is this a recent article? (this season)

This article from Sept 6 2013 has Buffalo at #3 behind Houston (the only warm weather city) and GB. Seattle didn't crack the top 10. FWIW 3rd is the lowest I've ever seen Buffalo ranked, usually 1 or 2 with GB. Given the recent successes of the teams ahead of us and Buffalo's 21st century playoff drought I think it is fair to say that Buffalo is #1 (see how high those other teams rank after just a 5 year playoff drought).

http://www.rsvlts.com/2013/09/06/best-nfl-tailgate-cities/

Edited by Steve O

Are you trying to prove that Buffalo has the best tailgaiting in the league?? Or just better than Seattle?

I've only tailgated at the Ralph and at the Meadowlands.

I would LOVE to tailgate in Green Bay.

Are you trying to prove that Buffalo has the best tailgaiting in the league?? Or just better than Seattle?

I've only tailgated at the Ralph and at the Meadowlands.

I would LOVE to tailgate in Green Bay.

Seattle is dead last in some rankings! I'm tyring to prove we're #1. Obviously it's all subjective and rational arguments can be made for Arrowhead, Lambeau, etc. I'm hoping to find rational arguments in print for Buffalo.

Btw, I thought this was cool:

Buffalo Bills – Ralph Wilson Stadium

Tailgating Score: 9 out of 10

Reason – Some people park their campers and RVs as early as Friday for a Sunday early afternoon game… and leave the day after the game. For many, a tailgate that some estimate draws twice as many people in the lots as the stadium, is one of the top 50 things you have to do before you die. With large lots surrounding the stadium, the unbelievable scene spreads in a 360-degree circle around the facility. Touch football games can be found in every aisle, and special tailgate vehicles with built-in grills, sound systems and hot tubs on flatbed trailers make the rounds.

(http://www.tailgatingideas.com/nfl-tailgating-cities/#sthash.L3Exi0fM.dpuf)

Every team has players who are NFL superstars. But how many teams have tailgating superstars like Pinto Ron? He's been in a number of NFL films and even has his own wikipedia entry!

According to the SI survey (2008), half of Bills fans will tailgate for 4 or more hours. No other city comes close.

I've also heard anecdotally that the Bills have more people partying in the parking lot during games than any other NFL locale.

When you think that Buffalo metro has a population of a million and 100,000 are at the Ralph, it's pretty impressive.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I've tailgated in Seattle. Bills-Seahawks 2004. Everyone there thought we were crazy because we were drinking and cranking Van Halen. I didn't understand what the big deal was. The people were very nice but they all said, "yeah we don't really have a crazy tailgate scene." And to a man, everyone was saying that it was a Mariners town first. All that being said, I don't doubt that they go a little harder now that they've been good for a couple years. As far as the Bills go, anyone who thinks we have the best tailgate scene has simply never been to Green Bay or Kansas City. If by best you mean drinks the most then maybe we do. But the main lot is amateur hour before kickoff and after the game. It is rated R, while Green Bay is PG and Kansas City is PG-13. Top to bottom, they are both better because they don't have the absolute d-bags that attend Bills games. The best Bills fans are as good as anyone's best however.

Urban Stadiums like Seattle and Baltimore are tougher for tailgating. I mean you do have some season ticket holder Lots nearby the stadiums that hum with activity but it's not like out in Orchard Park. We have wide open vast areas to throw footballs around and go nuts.

I tailgated in Baltimore a few times under the I-95 overpass. It gets all smoky from grills and you feel trapped inside.

What makes the Bills home unique is that its build in a residential area---not in downtown. It creates a very unique experience where you will park at someones home instead of a parking lot.

for some reason I was under the impression that a lot of Green Bay tailgating happened in local bars due to lack of parking lot space??? is that not correct? anyone been?

Yes that is correct, but there are still plenty of places to tailgate outside if you want to. Everyone does it up right- people are going hard but it's family friendly at the same time. The food is more of a focus than the getting completely smashed.

Urban Stadiums like Seattle and Baltimore are tougher for tailgating. I mean you do have some season ticket holder Lots nearby the stadiums that hum with activity but it's not like out in Orchard Park. We have wide open vast areas to throw footballs around and go nuts.

I tailgated in Baltimore a few times under the I-95 overpass. It gets all smoky from grills and you feel trapped inside.

In Seattle the stadium isnt truely in downtown. Its just South of downtown in an industrial area. The Port o Seattle is just to its West.

The stadium is roughly where I-90 ends at I-5 neighnoring the international district. the highways are elevated here.

There is very limited parking near the stadium. The only reason for this is when they built the football stadium they also built a secondary facility that could host indoor events.

Parking near the stadium is limited. You have similar lots to what I remember parking for the Aud where you are basically parking under the highway.

Seatle has a light rail line between downtown Seattle and the airport and a commuter train line (similar to what you find in NYC that runs on the same line that AMtrak runs) and they utilize numerous park and ride lots around the area to shuttle people to the stadium.

Because the football stadium and baseball stadium are next to each other , events can't happen at the same time because of crowd caps. They want to build a new Arenanext to the baseball and football stdiums. You could have a hockey/basketball/arena event +baseball game at the same time or a baseball + soccer game (where they restrict seatting) but you cant do a baseball and football game.

What happened last night in St Louis could not happen. They would have to move one.

Also Seattle has scheduling rules that when they do have same day events at both stadiums that there has to be something like 5 hr start time difference which could allow the one event to exit and the next event to then take in new traffic.

also Baltimore has little immediate parking lots available. Most of the parking for games needs to be done using city parking garages in downtown. Its impossible to do events at the same time, they have light rail option from the stadium.

Baseball has half the crowd as football so a Thursday/Monday night game in Baltimore is extremely difficult to pull off because the parking lots used by football fans are usually used by downtown employees.

baseball is a little more manageable because you dont have people coming to the game as early as football and a good number do a ball game after work....thus no need to move their car.

Its a problem because the main entry to downtown ---395---will get clogged.

I've tailgated in Seattle. Bills-Seahawks 2004. Everyone there thought we were crazy because we were drinking and cranking Van Halen. I didn't understand what the big deal was. The people were very nice but they all said, "yeah we don't really have a crazy tailgate scene." And to a man, everyone was saying that it was a Mariners town first. All that being said, I don't doubt that they go a little harder now that they've been good for a couple years. As far as the Bills go, anyone who thinks we have the best tailgate scene has simply never been to Green Bay or Kansas City. If by best you mean drinks the most then maybe we do. But the main lot is amateur hour before kickoff and after the game. It is rated R, while Green Bay is PG and Kansas City is PG-13. Top to bottom, they are both better because they don't have the absolute d-bags that attend Bills games. The best Bills fans are as good as anyone's best however.

I was at that game. We walked from the W hotel where we are staying to the stadium. I recall little to no tailgating going on. I may heave seen you guys partying as I recall one car near the stadium with a group rocking out. I don't even recall many bars near the stadium to hang out in before.They had no real space for tailgating. I go to Seattle a lot and now they have a train to take people from the airport to downtown and it stops at the two stadiums, so there is even less of a need to drive to games there. I still don't see a ton of bars near the stadium though the whole corridor from the airport to downtown has been built up. Some places just don't have a tailgating culture.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/27/football-tailgating-nfl-lifestyle-sports-travel-stadiums_slide.html?partner=yahoosports

This article from 2010 lists Buffalo as #1, but it may be alphabetical order