Annoying Announcers and My Thoughts

Aww, look at those cute widdle Bills. They haven't given up!

That's what the Bills are to non Bills fans.

Yeah the announcers sucked yesterday, but I could finish the game with them. When the super-homer Bills announcers are on I usually don't make it through the game listening to them. I find them too embarrassing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. WAYYYYYYY too much hate on this board. I thought they called a fair game. They critiqued both teams equally. I don't understand why everyone's all pissed off at Gumble and Dierdorf when you all should be upset about the fact the Bills just got their asses handed to them by New Orleans.

Mario seems to get held on almost every play - all season long. How come they never call it? He should be drawing one or two a game - at a minimum. But I dont think he has drawn more than one or two.

Why do the refs ignore it?

Its the same with Nate Solder - he holds on every single play. Like extremely obvious holding, and its never called. You would think it would get called a couple times a game when it is that egregious.

How about the fact that they acted like the Bills put Jerry Hughes in coverage against Kenny Stills? Any idiot could see that there was a blown assignment in the secondary and after Brees threw the ball, Hughes started chasing him- which, I may add, he did an admirable job of and almost caught him. But they were slandering Hughes because he started chasing the guy! They were like, "look, Jerry Hughes seems like a nice guy but you can't expect him to cover Kenny Stills."

Actually, that was the dialed-up coverage. Marrone said so in his presser.

Yes they don't analyze anything. They just drone on questioning play calling, referee calls, coaching decisions which is not their job instead of taking us further inside the game, which is.

For example how could New Orleans send that much pressure and still cover? How did it end up Hughes was on stills and graham schematically?

Why didn't Brees throw to gilmores guy at all? Was he covered?

People may disagree but that is what I enjoy about collinsworth, he always points out some detail within the chess game that makes it more interesting.

But hey until the bills get more respect as a team and bolster viewership becausr their games are considered big games and not just easy Ws for the good teams, they will always get the c team of broadcasters.

If I were Marrone I would pull clips of all the announcers paying condescending praises for showing up and trying to play against a "real team" and loop it in the locker room.

Wow. WAYYYYYYY too much hate on this board. I thought they called a fair game. They critiqued both teams equally. I don't understand why everyone's all pissed off at Gumble and Dierdorf when you all should be upset about the fact the Bills just got their asses handed to them by New Orleans.

We are pissed about both, and they go together.

I don't care about any "bias", I just find ANY comments by Deirdorf, and especially his delivery, annoying, and he is WIDELY disliked out by fans throughout the league. He is a pompous blowhard, whose commentary is distracting.

As fans, each season we only get so many games, and we want the experience to be good, but bad announcers talking over the game you are watching has a BIG effect on the experience. There is a reason why Vin Scully, Al Michaels, and all those guys get big bucks. They are shaping the storyline of the game for the listener. It matters.

You might say "turn off the sound", but that shouldn't be necessary, and detracts from the experience. Then you might say "listen to the radio", but it's not synced with the stream I receive.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

It is wayyyy justified in this case. They suck as a broadcasting team. Perhaps I am deluding myself but the announcers back in the 70's and 80s were epic sounding AND knew the game!

Watching the games at home this season we've commented about the poor quality of the play by play and commentor teams. This weekend was no exception. At times I wonder if these guys are watching the same game. Maybe they're up in the booth texting their wives and friends instead of keeping their focus on the game? There are a couple exceptions but this lack of quality spans the broadcasting spectrum from CBS, to FOX, to the NFL network, to ESPN. And Dierdorf, he's the guy that calls the NE games by referring to Brady as 'Tom' saying things like 'looks like Tom put the ball in the right spot but the receiver ran the wrong pattern'. Referring to one player by his first name provides the impression of favoritism. The producer, director, somebody at the network, or his partner should be pointing that out.

Yesterday was typical gushing over one of the league darlings, the Sants and Drew Brees. I'll grant they're a better team than the Bills at this point but not by as much as I expceted, mostly in the area of pass protection (and as some have pointed out the 'art' of holding on the offensive line and not getting called).

It is wayyyy justified in this case. They suck as a broadcasting team. Perhaps I am deluding myself but the announcers back in the 70's and 80s were epic sounding AND knew the game!

Eh...I really don't mind Deirdorf that much...I don't think you are deluding yourslef, but you are forgetting, announcers (specifically color guys, like Dierdorf) have far less time for analysis than they did in the 70's and 80's broadcasts. Dierdorf, IMO, knows the game very well...he just doesn't have enough time to break down plays...with the Bills offense, this year, I have also noticed fewer replays for Bills offensive plays, cuz they just don't have the time, so you just get more blanket statements.

Funny thing is, I wathced the game in a bar yesterday, with about 25 Bills fans...early in the game Dierdorf said something about the Bills "have to be able to run the ball to have any chance"...the Bills fans I was with, from that point on, kept yelling at the screen anytime the Bills had a good passing play...."there you go Dier-dork! I thought we couldn't win if we couldn't run the ball!" That kind of stuff... in the end though, Dierdorf was right..the Bills couldn't run the ball effectively after the 1st quarter, got a slim lead, and couldn't hold it, becasue they couldn't move the chains enough, couldn't extend drives...we saw what happened.

Being as thin skinned as Bills fans can be, I also notice a tendancey toward very selective hearing.

Edited by Buftex

Eh...I really don't mind Deirdorf that much...I don't think you are deluding yourslef, but you are forgetting, announcers (specifically color guys, like Dierdorf) have far less time for analysis than they did in the 70's and 80's broadcasts. Dierdorf, IMO, knows the game very well...he just doesn't have enough time to break down plays...with the Bills offense, this year, I have also noticed fewer replays for Bills offensive plays, cuz they just don't have the time, so you just get more blanket statements.

Funny thing is, I wathced the game in a bar yesterday, with about 25 Bills fans...early in the game Dierdorf said something about the Bills "have to be able to run the ball to have any chance"...the Bills fans I was with, from that point on, kept yelling at the screen anytime the Bills had a good passing play...."there you go Dier-dork! I thought we couldn't win if we couldn't run the ball!" That kind of stuff... in the end though, Dierdorf was right..the Bills couldn't run the ball effectively after the 1st quarter, got a slim lead, and couldn't hold it, becasue they couldn't move the chains enough, couldn't extend drives...we saw what happened.

Being as thin skinned as Bills fans can be, I also notice a tendancey toward very selective hearing.

This is very true. Hence, the two-box screen w/ the replay and live action on the screen at the same time. Deirdorf, who can be annoying at times, does know the game. Technically, Fox is way above CBS.

Actually, that was the dialed-up coverage. Marrone said so in his presser.

That's what he said, but I am not buying it completely. It seemed like the coverage was desiged for Hughes to stay shallow, and then to get some safety help over the top. While theoretically, Hughes was to blame because they caught us in a bad play (as I think Marrone said), I am not convinced that the play call was THAT bad, and that Hughes was meant to go one-on-one with a receiver down the field. There had to be deep help there as part of that play design.

This is very true. Hence, the two-box screen w/ the replay and live action on the screen at the same time. Deirdorf, who can be annoying at times, does know the game. Technically, Fox is way above CBS.

I guess I am old school...I get sick of all the **** on the screens. I watch Bills games at a bar, when I look to other screens, it always takes a second to realize what I am watching... I am definitely in the "less is sometimes more" crowd on this one. I enjoy fantasy sports, but I really don't need updates every thirty seconds, telling me, at 1:20pm that Jordan Cameron has 1 reception for 4 yards.

I'd rather listen to Dierdoof and Grumble than Mark Kelso. Nice guy but I just can't stand listening to him.

I have to say, I find the Bills radio broadcast team pretty dull.

Edited by Buftex

That's what he said, but I am not buying it completely. It seemed like the coverage was desiged for Hughes to stay shallow, and then to get some safety help over the top. While theoretically, Hughes was to blame because they caught us in a bad play (as I think Marrone said), I am not convinced that the play call was THAT bad, and that Hughes was meant to go one-on-one with a receiver down the field. There had to be deep help there as part of that play design.

Anyone notice Kyle Williams was about 6" away from grabbing Bree's arm on the wind up during that play. Good chance it would have been a fumble or interception. There were alot of plays like that in this game.

Anyone notice Kyle Williams was about 6" away from grabbing Bree's arm on the wind up during that play. Good chance it would have been a fumble or interception. There were alot of plays like that in this game.

agree-- same with when the Bills were on offense. There were several plays when Thad was getting hit when throwing, and there were multiple Bills streaking open across the field. The Saints got there just fast enough to prevent a completion. Matter of a split second, at times.