A Black Box In Your Car

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Libertarians have joined environmental groups in lobbying to allow government to use the little boxes to keep track of the miles you drive, and possibly where you drive them — then use the information to draw up a tax bill.

Wha....???

Libertarians have joined environmental groups in lobbying to allow government to use the little boxes to keep track of the miles you drive, and possibly where you drive them — then use the information to draw up a tax bill.

Wha....???

I'm thinking whoever wrote that meant Liberals. Because you know us Libertarian types are all about government surveillance and increased taxes :rolleyes:

Edited by /dev/null

The devices would track every mile you drive —possibly including your location — and the government would use the data to draw up a tax bill.

What could possibly go wrong ?.....................................lol

They might as well just keep data mining all the info they have been collecting from your smart phone...

They all have GPS, they know where you are, when, times, speeds, they know what route you take on your daily commute, they know how long you work, they know who your associates are based on their phone location records in comparison to yours,

Oh and 90% of people have smart phones and willing err unknowungly help collect this data without having a clue they are doing it.

I'm thinking whoever wrote that meant Liberals. Because you know us Libertarian types are all about government surveillance and increased taxes :rolleyes:

I have never heard one Libertarian that has spoken in favor of this, it goes against everything thier party stands for.

One of the reasons I feel they have chosen thier party name poorly. Too easy to confuse it with Liberals...

They might as well just keep data mining all the info they have been collecting from your smart phone...

They all have GPS, they know where you are, when, times, speeds, they know what route you take on your daily commute, they know how long you work, they know who your associates are based on their phone location records in comparison to yours,

Oh and 90% of people have smart phones and willing err unknowungly help collect this data without having a clue they are doing it.

This is true, it is amazing how stupid most people in this country are...

that's got to be it. a government issued black box installed in a personal vehicle for purposes of collecting taxes flies directly in the face of liberatarian values.

No. They meant libertarians all right. They're the ones that we smart enough to pull it out of their car and leave it in the garage. I'm all in favor of the electric car drivers to have to pay for the nation's highway infrastructure that the rest of us pay at the pump.

hate to break it to you but your car already has a black box if it's newer than 2000, usually it's only keeping seconds worth of data (cars speed, braking. air bag deployment, etc) but if you have any type of Onstar like service all that data can be continually uploaded and recorded.

hate to break it to you but your car already has a black box if it's newer than 2000, usually it's only keeping seconds worth of data (cars speed, braking. air bag deployment, etc) but if you have any type of Onstar like service all that data can be continually uploaded and recorded.

did you read anything in the thread or article?

That box is not used by the government toncollect data unless you're in a wreck or something which would make it relevant. This box would be a tracking device tied to taxing.

I hope they put it on California bikes.

did you read anything in the thread or article?

That box is not used by the government toncollect data unless you're in a wreck or something which would make it relevant. This box would be a tracking device tied to taxing.

I hope they put it on California bikes.

what I'm saying is they already have the data collection happening in your car all they need is a way to store and use that data and if your car has anything that uploads they have that - you do not even have to have the service active if your car is equipped with Onstar or anything like that they are capable of tracking you and downloading the information - a separate black box is not needed .

what I'm saying is they already have the data collection happening in your car all they need is a way to store and use that data and if your car has anything that uploads they have that - you do not even have to have the service active if your car is equipped with Onstar or anything like that they are capable of tracking you and downloading the information - a separate black box is not needed .

Ohhhh well then it that case it's ok. :rolleyes:

OK but still. They known how far I drove in a year because it is recorded when they doy inspection. Of course, that's not going to be accurate but hey, it still means something right?

OK but still. They known how far I drove in a year because it is recorded when they doy inspection. Of course, that's not going to be accurate but hey, it still means something right?

They know much you drove but now where you drove. So when you get your NC state inspection you get your NC mileage tax.

Okay, so what happens if you drove out of NC anytime during the year? Like maybe you drove to The Ralph for the season opener. Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York state are all going to want their "fair share" of your tax revenue. What happens when a city or county along the way adds their own mileage tax?

Next step, GPS with every Black Box so each taxing body along your route gets their "fair share" of your tax revenue.

But of course this kind of information would only be for taxing purposes and never shared or used for anything else :rolleyes:

They know much you drove but now where you drove. So when you get your NC state inspection you get your NC mileage tax.

Okay, so what happens if you drove out of NC anytime during the year? Like maybe you drove to The Ralph for the season opener. Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York state are all going to want their "fair share" of your tax revenue. What happens when a city or county along the way adds their own mileage tax?

Next step, GPS with every Black Box so each taxing body along your route gets their "fair share" of your tax revenue.

But of course this kind of information would only be for taxing purposes and never shared or used for anything else :rolleyes:

What about when I drive on my farm, and put a mile looking for a new calf? Or just pulling a hay trailer?

It, well, it's ridiculous.

Who is this "they" you're talking about? GM? The DMV? The IRS? The NSA?