A Black Box In Your Car

which sadly means that most people will probably think it's a good idea.

There will be an Ag Exemption. Do you know how much Ag gets exempted? I can go buy about anything in Lowes and get an exemption (oddy, welders are not exempt in NC). I can run off road diesel in my tractor and anything that doesn't use highways/roads. In some states Ag vehicles do not even have to be registered, inspected or plated.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be an Ag Exemption. Do you know how much Ag gets exempted? I can go buy about anything in Lowes and get an exemption (oddy, welders are not exempt in NC). I can run off road diesel in my tractor and anything that doesn't use highways/roads. In some states Ag vehicles do not even have to be registered, inspected or plated.

Well that's got to stop. You all have to pay your fair share!

What about when I drive on my farm, and put a mile looking for a new calf? Or just pulling a hay trailer?

It, well, it's ridiculous.

Your property is in NC ergo you pay NC to drive on your land. And by your land, I mean the land that you pay the town and/or county where you reside for the right to own land

Oh well, whatever it takes to raise "revenue" is a-ok, right liberals!!

btw, how long will it take them to start incenting behavior on auto purchases via this tax rate? You really think the sh---y union cars from Detroit are going to pay the same rate as luxury imports or performance cars?

Edited by KD in CT

We need a new model, especially with a lot less individuals using fuel. Should it be more on the backs of commercial interests (trucks) using all roads?

Progressive and Flo are using them (black boxes) against "rate suckers."

Anyway... Commercial marine interests are using black boxes in the form of AiS going on about half a decade now. I think it is mandatory, but there are some companies/business not turning them on (in defiance?):

www.MarineTraffic.com

The Inland Waterway Trust Fund (IWTF) is funded off the backs of commercial interests. Each business doing business on the federal waterways pays about a 19 cent per gallon surcharge on the yearly amount of fuel they use as a business. Not that it isn't a strategy w/out issues. I think that cost over runs for one lock & dam on the Ohio has blown the IWTF (puns intended) right out of the water and left it bone dry. As fuel efficiency climbs everywhere... How do we fund? Especially massive projects that all use?

How have they been getting around this for centuries:

"The navigable waters leading into the Mississippi and St. Lawrence, and the carrying places between the same, shall be common highways and forever free, as well to the inhabitants of the said territory as to the citizens of the United States, and those of any other States that may be admitted into the confederacy, without any tax, impost, or duty therefore."

This, Article 4 of the first Northwest Ordinace (1787) under the Articles of Confederation, and one of the first pieces of legislation passed/reaffirmed under our current Constitution in 1789.

With roads, isn't every road basically a "post road?" Just like the waterways and the Constitution that are directly federally funded with the help of the Inland Trust on the backs of industry.

What's good for industry (AiS) may be good for the individual?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

if gasoline use drops due to greater use of alternative fuels, all the feds need to do is place a comperable fuel tax on kilowatt hours at charging stations for electric cars or per a specified volume of natural gas. there's no need for them to get into tracking miles driven.

Progressive and Flo are using them (black boxes) against "rate suckers."

As a voluntary program. I have Progressive but won't install their tracking device just to save a few bucks

What's good for industry (AiS) may be good for the individual?

One size fits all. Spoken like leftist sheople

if gasoline use drops due to greater use of alternative fuels, all the feds need to do is place a comperable fuel tax on kilowatt hours at charging stations for electric cars or per a specified volume of natural gas. there's no need for them to get into tracking miles driven.

Say several years ago you had a vehicle that got 33 mpg. Since the mandated use of 10% ethanol that vehicle will now be getting around 30 mpg. Ethanol hasn't helped fuel economy or the environment. It has insured that the government won't lose any tax revenues though.

Say several years ago you had a vehicle that got 33 mpg. Since the mandated use of 10% ethanol that vehicle will now be getting around 30 mpg. Ethanol hasn't helped fuel economy or the environment. It has insured that the government won't lose any tax revenues though.

it sure as hell drove up the cost of food, though. corn is in damn near everything we eat, in one form or another. I remember the instantaneous rise in cooking oil prices, and the subsequent rise in beef prices due to the increased price of corn once the added ethanol became mandatory. not to mention everything sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

it sure as hell drove up the cost of food, though. corn is in damn near everything we eat, in one form or another. I remember the instantaneous rise in cooking oil prices, and the subsequent rise in beef prices due to the increased price of corn once the added ethanol became mandatory. not to mention everything sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

What about the problem ethanol causes for small engines? The unintended consequences are far worse than what good (in theory) ethanol was supposed to do.

What about the problem ethanol causes for small engines? The unintended consequences are far worse than what good (in theory) ethanol was supposed to do.

there was a time where I could look under the hood of a car and tell you what every part of the engine was. those days are long, long gone, and my general knowledge of automotives nowadays is beyond lacking. that said, I'm not the least bit surprised to learn that ethanol isn't good for engines. I don't think that I can name offhand any time the feds have imposed a regulation where it didn't at least cause us an inconvenience and cost us extra money.

What's the problem with ethanol and small engines? Wasn't that supposed to be problem w/engines like 20+ years ago... I have been running 10% ethanol in a my engines for 20 yearss now.. Even my late 80's early 90's cars ran perfectly fine... Small engines too... Lawn mower I can't kill is going on 17 years old.

Does this have something to do with the whole MTBE debate?

But if you ask a Keynesian, the unintended consequence is a good thing. Because you will have to buy a new engine or lawnmower. Which stimulates the economy.

Kind of like how Paul Krugman argued that the 9/11 attacks would be good for the economy because people would rebuild

What's the problem with ethanol and small engines? Wasn't that supposed to be problem w/engines like 20+ years ago... I have been running 10% ethanol in a my engines for 20 yearss now.. Even my late 80's early 90's cars ran perfectly fine... Small engines too... Lawn mower I can't kill is going on 17 years old.

Does this have something to do with the whole MTBE debate?

http://jalopnik.com/5043482/ethanol-in-gasoline-reportedly-wreaking-havoc-on-small-engines