The Bills' Puzzle - How Many More Pieces Do We Need?

If I could somehow try to make a quick upgrade to this team, I would:

1. Change the offensive coordinator (I know this is a fan favorite)

2. Get a new Special Teams coordinator (I've never seen McKelvin this bad at returning punts, yards gained wise)

3. Two more stud Linebackers (One at MLB and the other outside)

4. LG? I put a question mark because I can't quite tell if Legursky is the problem or not. He's definitelt better than Brown was but Thad got hit too many times today. I know Chandler is responsible for one of the sacks but I don't know who's fault the other hits on the QB was. But overall, we DO need a better LG.

That's all I have on my list of making a quick change. What scares me though is, will that be enough to contend?

The things I listed can easily be aquired in one draft/free agency.

I didn't put new Head Coach on the list cuz I want Marrone to have a shot at changing this team around. I'm tired of changing Head coaches every 2/3 years. I want one coach to have at least a 5 year stretch with us. That way we don't have to clean house every couple of years and learn new systems.

What say you?

The right side of the line was not good today and the line overall could use some upgrading

Obviously could use better OC and special teams coaches

Defensive front mainly big guy in middle and OLB

Another TE

And until we see different QB

This team doesn't need an OC. It needs a quality QB and a line to protect him. Lewis was getting mauled the whole game. It would be nice to see more holes open up for the run too. This OL sucks. In fact the QB has been getting mauled the whole season.

Edited by Rockinon

This team doesn't need an OC. It needs a quality QB and a line to protect him. Lewis was getting mauled the whole game. It would be nice to see more holes open up for the run too. This OL sucks. In fact the QB has been getting mauled the whole season.

There was a reason Fitz got rid of the ball as quickly as he did. The O-line can't protect for more than a few seconds. I was yelling "get rid of it" to my TV several times today because I knew that Thad was playing with fire by holding the ball for more than a few seconds while he looked for an open receiver. That is a skill that must be developed by whoever is playing QB, at least until the O-line starts playing much better.

2. Get a new Special Teams coordinator (I've never seen McKelvin this bad at returning punts, yards gained wise)

4. LG? I put a question mark because I can't quite tell if Legursky is the problem or not. He's definitelt better than Brown was but Thad got hit too many times today. I know Chandler is responsible for one of the sacks but I don't know who's fault the other hits on the QB was. But overall, we DO need a better LG.

That's all I have on my list of making a quick change. What scares me though is, will that be enough to contend?

I didn't put new Head Coach on the list cuz I want Marrone to have a shot at changing this team around. I'm tired of changing Head coaches every 2/3 years. I want one coach to have at least a 5 year stretch with us. That way we don't have to clean house every couple of years and learn new systems.

What say you?

not many. not many at all. just need more reps. and get their damn QB back. that is big.

Edited by 8and8Forever

And you don't think an OC can help those areas? There are plays that can be called to offset pressure

Does he have more then 2 or 3 running plays in the playbook?

Hackett is basically the offensive version of Wannstadt

Edited by Max997

As long as Marrone is HC, they'll never hire another OC. First, it will signal that Marrone, being a former OC himself, was a poor judge in identifying the qualities it takes to be a good OC. Second, it will show that Marrone has the inability to teach an offensive-minded coach on how to be a good OC. Lastly, Marrone will likely take over play calling before he fires Hackett. And if this fails, then I doubt Marrone will be around to hire another OC.

I completely agree on the firing of the ST coach though. In fact, that would be the admirable thing to do.

Edited by kas23

The right side of the line was not good today and the line overall could use some upgrading

Obviously could use better OC and special teams coaches

Defensive front mainly big guy in middle and OLB

Another TE

And until we see different QB

I always thought we were decent on the right side of the line. Unfortunately Hairston had a season ending injury. But good catch if the right said really WAS the problem today.

When you say big guy on defensive front, do you mean replace Dareus?

Though I agree with you on TE, I feel very happy with Chandler and feel he's not being utilized. But that ll falls on the O-Line not giving the receivers time to get open. I'm sure TE is not the 1st option on Hacketts' sad scheme.

And you don't think an OC can help those areas? There are plays that can be called to offset pressure

Does he have more then 2 or 3 running plays in the playbook?

Hackett is basically the offensive version of Wannstadt

I don't think Hackett has called a counter running play all season. I-formation, counter, toss plays, draw plays. NOTHING. Every run is always from the shotgun and always right up the middle. It's sad really.

As long as Marrone is HC, they'll never hire another OC. First, it will signal that Marrone, being a former OC himself, was a poor judge in identifying the qualities it takes to be a good OC. Second, it will show that Marrone has the inability to teach an offensive-minded coach on how to be a good OC. Lastly, Marrone will likely take over play calling before he fires Hackett. And if this fails, then I doubt Marrone will be around to hire another OC.

I completely agree on the firing of the ST coach though. In fact, that would be the admirable thing to do.

I understand where you're coming from with him and the OC situation but he also was the one who hired the ST coordinator. At the end of the day, everyone's job is on the line and it's a business.

I definitely would LOVE Marrone to take over the offensive play calling but then Hacketts' plays will be the plays he will be calling still. We need a better offensive mind at the helm of OC and even if Marrone was to do the play calling, the plays will be drawn up by someone else.

I do agree though. I believe we're stuck with Hackett for the time that Marrone is here. Which is the unfortunate situation we're in...

What say you?

your avatar says it all. if we had a top-5 QB, then our OC would be considered a top-5 coordinator.

I understand where you're coming from with him and the OC situation but he also was the one who hired the ST coordinator. At the end of the day, everyone's job is on the line and it's a business.

I definitely would LOVE Marrone to take over the offensive play calling but then Hacketts' plays will be the plays he will be calling still. We need a better offensive mind at the helm of OC and even if Marrone was to do the play calling, the plays will be drawn up by someone else.

I do agree though. I believe we're stuck with Hackett for the time that Marrone is here. Which is the unfortunate situation we're in...

I think he'd be able to can the ST coach because Marrone isn't a ST coach himself. Crossman isn't his protege per se and firing his underperforming friend would earn a lot of respect from the fan base.

You also said we need a MLB? We have a budding star at MLB.

I always thought we were decent on the right side of the line. Unfortunately Hairston had a season ending injury. But good catch if the right said really WAS the problem today.

When you say big guy on defensive front, do you mean replace Dareus?

Though I agree with you on TE, I feel very happy with Chandler and feel he's not being utilized. But that ll falls on the O-Line not giving the receivers time to get open. I'm sure TE is not the 1st option on Hacketts' sad scheme.

I don't think Hackett has called a counter running play all season. I-formation, counter, toss plays, draw plays. NOTHING. Every run is always from the shotgun and always right up the middle. It's sad really.

The middle of the dline is soft and needs a big guy in the middle to eat up some blockers

I like Chandler as well and by another I meant in addition to Chandler

your avatar says it all. if we had a top-5 QB, then our OC would be considered a top-5 coordinator.

The Pats have changed Offensive coordinators a couple of times while Brady was QB. I agree though about having a top 5 QB but that's not going to happen unless we pick in the top 5 in a draft that's strong in the QB department. I'll ride it out with EJ for now. Alex Smith is 8-0 and is not a top 5 QB in your opinion correct? If we can get our QB to just not make mistakes and be above average we'll be ok with good play calling and good O-line play I believe...

1) We need a dominating WR. I like our WR corp, but there all just nice receivers, we need one that can do it all. It has to be a tall (6'3" or taller), big bodied, fast guy. 2) We need another very good corner. Our guys have performed admirably but another excellent corner is needed to deal with all the passing in today's NFL. 3) We need EJ to be the answer at QB. That's where I would start.

Edited by Triple Threat