Trade Byrd Now!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know if he's the best FS in the league but the vibe a lot of people give off around here is byrd isn't worth that much and the bills would be better off without spending on him and spending on someone else..and thats the problem is they aren't gonna spend that money anyway. so we just will be without a top player and its not trading that money to spend on another position its almost as if they operate under a self imposed salary cap thats less than the actual cap. and use the cash to cap theory to justify this. I'm not saying they are cheap. they just got mario last year. but they let levitre walk and byrd will probably walk as well when there was more than enough cap to resign both.even the mark anderson/fitz dead money rolled over to next year is a huge red flag to me. why not eat it all this year when we have more room? instead they slit it and are letting it effect next years cap when we can't rollover the preexisting roll over money.

For all the talk about the 2013 draft class, if the 2009 version is an example, the Bills aren't really devoted to re-signing their own like they say they are. Let's hope Manuel, Alonso, and Woods are all excellent players, but I'm not sure the team can keep a nucleus together given those self-imposed salary restrictions.

For all the talk about the 2013 draft class, if the 2009 version is an example, the Bills aren't really devoted to re-signing their own like they say they are. Let's hope Manuel, Alonso, and Woods are all excellent players, but I'm not sure the team can keep a nucleus together given those self-imposed salary restrictions.

You mean to say that they aren't devoted to re-signing the players YOU think they should re-sign.

Or do we really have to regurgitate the list of their players they've extended over the years?

Oh, and when it comes to free agents, it takes two. They have to WANT to stay. You conveniently fail to mention that. But it bolsters your viewpoint, so I can understand.

GO BILLS!!!

It's looks like Rapoport has shed quite a bit of light on #1 today...And it has been rumored around here for months now...Byrd want to be the highest paid S in the NFL...

As for #2, the rumors were the Bills wanted to make Byrd more like the 4th or 5th highest paid Safety in the NFL...

We may not know exactly what the numbers are, but I'm pretty sure the basics are out there, and have been for some time now...

And while I really like Byrd and I hope they can work something out, if you really want to know why the Bills don't want to make him the top paid Safety in the NFL all you had to do was watch that Seattle game tonight...Byrd is good, but there's no way he's the best Safety in the NFL...No way...Top 5 probably...But #1? No way... B-)

This has always what it has been about. With any other agent involved, the fact that the Bills had the Tag available and used it, would have prompted a negotiation leading to fair contract somewhere in the middle. There were any number of ways that Byrd could save face in that situation - Higher guarantees, more years, etc. When a player and his agent are committed to a take it or leave it posture, and willing to take on the potentially negative consequences of that, then no negotiation is possible. Hence the hold out from camp, and hence the half hearted effort to get on the field and make a difference. The worst thing the Bills could have done was buckle under to this tactic. Very bad for business long term. The net result of this is Byrd is proving himself to be a selfish, uncommitted player. Good luck on the highest paid safety thing next year. I would not trade him now unless the return were foolishly high, and that is not likely to happen.

You mean to say that they aren't devoted to re-signing the players YOU think they should re-sign.

Or do we really have to regurgitate the list of their players they've extended over the years?

Oh, and when it comes to free agents, it takes two. They have to WANT to stay. You conveniently fail to mention that. But it bolsters your viewpoint, so I can understand.

GO BILLS!!!

Pro Bowl/All-Pro players the team develops tend not to sign here when they want market rate. Is that the player or the team? Some believe the team isn't at fault and others see the team as the obstacle.

really it would depend highly on things we just dont know -- we dont know the front offices intentions with byrd long term (might they be looking to lock him up in february), gordons continued off field issues (has he turned a page, or is his next strike just waiting to happen), etc....

Pro Bowl/All-Pro players the team develops tend not to sign here when they want market rate. Is that the player or the team? Some believe the team isn't at fault and others see the team as the obstacle.

I believe nobody is at fault. There is no fault to be found on either side. I don't blame ANY player for wanting to get as much as he can for as long as he can. I also agree with teams that don't want to overpay for talent. If Byrd can't live with a top 5 contract, so be it. That's a fair offer given his limitations as a player.

GO BILLS!!!

Since Wood is locked up. Byrd will be franchised next year by the Bills. If he is traded between March 2014 and July 15 2014 the team receiving him in the trade can extend and renegotiate the Franchise contract. Right now it is unlikely anyone will touch him for much because they can't renegotiate the contract until March. Alan Branch and Jarius Byrd are the only UFA the Bills have in 2014, and Branch ain't getting franchised. It basically allows the receiving team in 2014 to have two franchise players and get one of the top safeties in the NFL. We just need Byrd to get some pics this season so he can boost his trade value in March.

Because they were trying to spend it on Byrd, and likely some other FAs that didn't wind up signing here.

they still would have had the space to do so. it was a money saving move. or a money move. they have a excess of money this year because they rolled over money from last year. that money cannot be rolled over again into next year so instead of letting that rolled money take the cap hit they instead are moving some to next year. its all about $$$ not keeping the better players.

Since Wood is locked up. Byrd will be franchised next year by the Bills. If he is traded between March 2014 and July 15 2014 the team receiving him in the trade can extend and renegotiate the Franchise contract. Right now it is unlikely anyone will touch him for much because they can't renegotiate the contract until March. Alan Branch and Jarius Byrd are the only UFA the Bills have in 2014, and Branch ain't getting franchised. It basically allows the receiving team in 2014 to have two franchise players and get one of the top safeties in the NFL. We just need Byrd to get some pics this season so he can boost his trade value in March.

I know you did not mean to make that font so small...It hurt my eyes... ;)

To your point though...I agree the Bills will likely Franchise Byrd with the intent on trading him this off season, but the rumors concerning what Byrd wants to sign are going to make it awfully hard to deal him for fair compensation...I just can't imagine any team will be willing to give up a high round Draft pick for the rights to overpay a Safety with PF in both feet...But we'll see... B-)

they still would have had the space to do so. it was a money saving move. or a money move. they have a excess of money this year because they rolled over money from last year. that money cannot be rolled over again into next year so instead of letting that rolled money take the cap hit they instead are moving some to next year. its all about $$$ not keeping the better players.

I don't think so. Signing Byrd and Wood and whomever else they may have wanted to AND including Fitz's and Anderson's hit would have left them right up against the cap, possibly going over. So there would be essentially no space left to roll over to next year.

That would leave them at around $106 M next year (including draft pick salaries) with a projected cap of $123 M. If they tag Byrd again, add $8.5 (let's call it $114 M). So that would leave them with only $9 million. Do we like Carrington and Branch? Add another few million for them, let's call the total $117. Chandler's contract is up too. They'll have to re-sign him, which will cost around $4m. Now they'd be at $121 M.

$2 million is NOT a lot of money to play with. If you don't think they'd re-sign any of those guys, they're likely to spend approximately the same money on replacements or in other areas. Not to mention not having the money to make a splash on any "name" players.

Of course then they'll hardly have any space to roll over the following year when even more contracts are expiring, including Dareus, Aaron WIlliams, and Jerry Hughes, just to name a few. So now all of a sudden they're in a rut because they essentially mortgaged the future this year.

I agree it sucks that they weren't able to make good use of this year's roll over space, but as it stands, they're still rolling over almost $7 million in space for next year which will be a huge help going forward, and IMO is the sensible thing to do.

I disagree that it's all about saving real money. The FO went into the offseason looking to extend Byrd, extend Wood, upgrade at LB (Lawson), and seemed to be looking for O line, ILB, QB, and TE help. Just because they didn't spend all of that money doesn't mean that they weren't trying, or at least prepared to.

Edited by uncle flap