Trade Byrd Now!

Actually no I didn't

I would rather keep him then trade him for low picks

I wouldn't expect a first or even a second but would take a third maybe conditional

Why do u assume he is leaving for nothing? Bills can still franchise him again

The better question is what team is willing to trade for a safety and disrupt their team at this point?

I don't see Byrd being traded at this pojnt

Actually, the best question is, what team is going to trade anything decent to the Bills for the privilege of stepping into the Bills' shoes as far as Byrd is concerned?

Oh boy, now THEY can be the team who has him until the end of this season and the only way THEY can be sure to keep him is to franchise for $8.5 Million next season.

And everyone has seen how that worked out for the Bills. Yeah, maybe he can start the season sitting on their bench for them next year, perhaps hangnails will be the problem next year?

You would be LUCKY to get a 5th rounder for the guy right now. I would be on my knees bowing down to Whaley if he got a fourth. A conditional third? Maybe in a wet dream!

Edited by BuffaloBob

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so. Signing Byrd and Wood and whomever else they may have wanted to AND including Fitz's and Anderson's hit would have left them right up against the cap, possibly going over. So there would be essentially no space left to roll over to next year.

That would leave them at around $106 M next year (including draft pick salaries) with a projected cap of $123 M. If they tag Byrd again, add $8.5 (let's call it $114 M). So that would leave them with only $9 million. Do we like Carrington and Branch? Add another few million for them, let's call the total $117. Chandler's contract is up too. They'll have to re-sign him, which will cost around $4m. Now they'd be at $121 M.

$2 million is NOT a lot of money to play with. If you don't think they'd re-sign any of those guys, they're likely to spend approximately the same money on replacements or in other areas. Not to mention not having the money to make a splash on any "name" players.

Of course then they'll hardly have any space to roll over the following year when even more contracts are expiring, including Dareus, Aaron WIlliams, and Jerry Hughes, just to name a few. So now all of a sudden they're in a rut because they essentially mortgaged the future this year.

I agree it sucks that they weren't able to make good use of this year's roll over space, but as it stands, they're still rolling over almost $7 million in space for next year which will be a huge help going forward, and IMO is the sensible thing to do.

I disagree that it's all about saving real money. The FO went into the offseason looking to extend Byrd, extend Wood, upgrade at LB (Lawson), and seemed to be looking for O line, ILB, QB, and TE help. Just because they didn't spend all of that money doesn't mean that they weren't trying, or at least prepared to.

i agree with some of that but they are letting money that they rolled from last year just expire because they can't roll multiple years over.so they should have not split the anderson/fitz money is my point.

i agree with some of that but they are letting money that they rolled from last year just expire because they can't roll multiple years over.so they should have not split the anderson/fitz money is my point.

Well, there's no way to completely predict the future, but it seems very likely that if they did what you are proposing, they would be in cap hell for the next 2-3 years at least.

I thought my original post made that pretty clear, but to simplify: By taking the hits this year, they would have about $17 million in space next year. Instead, they now have about $20 million in space.

Your way would seem to leave them with about $2 million to play with, based on my estimations. The way the Bills have done it leaves them with about $5 million in space, again estimating for re-signings/FA replacements.

The "problem" is not that the way that they structured the cap hits, but that they didn't find a way to spend the surplus that they had this year. To some that signals a cheap FO, but to me I think they tried in earnest to spend a chunk of it and just couldn't seal the deals.

From Gaughan's article today:

Asked if he had heard any whispers of a possible trade from his agent, Byrd said, "I don't want to get into that. I'm here. Let's win."

Is he glad to be staying in Buffalo?

"Yeah, let's win," he said.

I'm sure that persistent line of questioning really helps the situation. Is there anybody who doesn't realize the guy just wants out of here?

Edited by GaryPinC

From Gaughan's article today:

Asked if he had heard any whispers of a possible trade from his agent, Byrd said, "I don't want to get into that. I'm here. Let's win."

Is he glad to be staying in Buffalo?

"Yeah, let's win," he said.

I'm sure that persistent line of questioning really helps the situation. Is there anybody who doesn't realize the guy just wants out of here?

It'll be real fun when he gets franchised again in March.

Well, there's no way to completely predict the future, but it seems very likely that if they did what you are proposing, they would be in cap hell for the next 2-3 years at least.

I thought my original post made that pretty clear, but to simplify: By taking the hits this year, they would have about $17 million in space next year. Instead, they now have about $20 million in space.

Your way would seem to leave them with about $2 million to play with, based on my estimations. The way the Bills have done it leaves them with about $5 million in space, again estimating for re-signings/FA replacements.

The "problem" is not that the way that they structured the cap hits, but that they didn't find a way to spend the surplus that they had this year. To some that signals a cheap FO, but to me I think they tried in earnest to spend a chunk of it and just couldn't seal the deals.

how exactly to you think they have more cap room next year with them splitting the cap hit between this year and next. if they had taken the full cap hit this year and used the surplus money from last year and then rolled over this years surplus into next year they'd have more.saying they would be in a salary cap hell makes no sense to me. they are not using last years rolled money and then splitting the cap hits with this years and next year so there will be money we don't use that cannot be rolled over into next year because you cannot roll multiple years.either way if they are being economical about it they should be proactive and start using that surplus and extending contracts now so they can use that surplus and not wait till next year.