What IF we do the unthinkable on Sunday?...

I've seen all the "34-17"-ish predictions on this board. I'm gearing up to watch as every "expert picker" from ESPN.com and NFL.com clean-sweep the board with New Orleans Saints logos. Eliminator pool participants will be taking the Saints in a high percentage of the leagues.

I get it, on the surface, the Bills don't stand a chance in hell of beating the mighty New Orleans Saints on a neutral field, much less in their house. We're starting an unproven practice squad QB vs. one of the premiere defensive minds in the game today, who by the way, has had two weeks to prepare for an injury infested offense.

But, this IS the NFL. Winners and losers on a week-to-week basis are as hard to predict as ever these days (with ths exception of any game involving the Jags). When the week began, I was just happy to go to work Monday morning knowing the Bills actually beat a decent NFL team ON THE ROAD. Not only that, a divisional opponent! The 2013 Bills have to be one of the most entertaining and gut-wrenching teams of recent memory.

We know the Saints: Drew Brees, Sean Peyton and one phenomenal offense! Defensively, they're better this year, and that really doesn't say much being that last years Saints defense was statistically the worst EVER!

The Bills are a bit of an enigma. We dont know just how good they can be being that the injury bug has had its way with us on both sides of the ball. EJ is gone for four more games, CJ can't seem to stay healthy enough to finish a single game, and while I love Fred Jackson's heart and determination, quite frankly it scares the hell outta me anytime he gets hit! Then, theres this defense. What I believe to be the cornerstone of this team for years to come. They could seriously be one of the best real soon once Gilmore is "de-clubbed" and Byrd starts playing for his love of the game and not his selfishness.

So here we are. Wednesday. And I must say, I'm beginning to ask myself "Could it happen?" I hate to be optimistic about the Bills because history speaks for itself. But there's something different going on here now, and I love it!

So what happens Sunday if the Bills miraculously do the impossible, the unthinkable? Are we...BACK?!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be crazy happy if they won, but actually, given the next four games, if they are going to lose one of the next four I'd rather it be against the Saints than the in-conference teams KC, Pittsburgh, or in particular the Jets. They could get blown out by the Saints, but if they manage to win the next three, they's be in great shape.

Defensively the Saints are pretty good but clearly slowing their offense down is crucial. We aren't the type of team that can come back from a 2-3 score deficit. There's three crucial components to having a chance to win. Pressure on Brees, keeping Sproles in check, and stopping Graham. The Patriots did a decent job of doing this and still lost.

Defensively the Saints are pretty good but clearly slowing their offense down is crucial. We aren't the type of team that can come back from a 2-3 score deficit. There's three crucial components to having a chance to win. Pressure on Brees, keeping Sproles in check, and stopping Graham. The Patriots did a decent job of doing this and still lost.

Except that we have, against two pretty damn good defenses

Jets : Down 14 Tied before Justin Rogers was toasted again

Bengals : Down 14 led to overtime

Um...the Cheatriots* won.

BTW, what is "the unthinkable"? The Bills forfeit before kickoff? Other than that, nothing is unthinkable. Just look at the first seven weeks of this season. It's been proven that anything can and does happen in the NFL every week.

My opinion is that New Orleans is 2 TDs better than Buffalo when the game is played in New Orleans...if the game were played here I'd likely feel differently.

However, it's been 3 calendar years since a Sean Payton-coached team has lost in the Superdome...I have trouble seeing this Bills team being the one to break that streak.

I'd absolutely love to be wrong though.

As far as the next two games go:

The Saints have squared off against opponents whose combined record is 17-22.

The Chiefs: 15-33

The Bills: 26-21

I expect both games to--at the very least--stay close.

Interesting take.

I'm too lazy to look it up but I'd be interested to know what Miami's opponent's record was before we played them last week.

GO BILLS!!!

My opinion is that New Orleans is 2 TDs better than Buffalo when the game is played in New Orleans...if the game were played here I'd likely feel differently.

However, it's been 3 calendar years since a Sean Payton-coached team has lost in the Superdome...I have trouble seeing this Bills team being the one to break that streak.

Whoa there, Ace. Last time Payton lost in NOLA was Jan. 2, 2011.

The AFC has been surprisngly tough vs. the NFC this year. Let's hope the Bills D and special teams play a ridiculous game and NO comes out rusty like Miami did (after their bye).