Titans owner Bud Adams has died, may he RIP

Dear old Ralph just turned 95. He is the oldest surviving founder. Give him credit for finally stepping away from active management of the team. Sadly, some day in the not too distant future, we will learn that he too has passed...and then our troubles will really begin.

Maybe so, maybe not. We'll either lose the team, or we'll keep it and likely have more long-term stability than we have over the past decade or so.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't surprise me if this is misinformation. Somebody confusing Bud with Bum. A lot of people are basically stupid.

"He was preceded in death by less than 72 hours by the man with whom he will be linked forever in Houston sports annals, former Oilers coach Bum Phillips. Adams fired Phillips as Oilers coach in December 1980, ending the Oilers’ “Luv Ya Blue” and earning, among some Houston sports fans, everlasting enmity."

Interesting. Thank you. So it seems that Adams had a succession plan in place to keep the team's ownership within the family after his death, and that the teams future in Nashville seems secure for the immediate future. To my knowledge, Ralph Wilson has no such plan in place, although admittedly I have not kept track of every public statement that he and the Bills have issued in that regard. I think we are kidding ourselves if we think there will not be massive uncertainty and confusion in the wake of Mr. Wilson's eventual passing. Let's just wish him many more healthy years.

Edited by mannc

Thanks, interesting, If I was him I would have told dad that some one else run can run the hotels.

what's with the dots?

But Hilton was still tied to gaming and Vegas... Total no-no with the NFL.

Anyway... Hilton may still be around, but totally out of the picture... That leaves Ralph as the last man standing (still ties to the team). Ralph wins!

I guess this means that Ralph wins the tontine and takes possession of the original AFL franchise fees - given that it was invested in gold by Lamar Hunt, that must be worth around $6 million today. Not a bad haul.

Wait...you mean like the time Mr. Burns tried to kill Grandpa Simpson for the Nazi loot? That was a great episode. RIP Mr. Adams.

@RapSheet

Titans announce that Tommy Smith, Bud Adams’ son-in-law will be the president and CEO now. “We share Bud’s passion for the game”

Let's hope he has the good sense and decency to use all of his fingers when he's waving and saluting the fans of opposing teams.

Bud... c-ya.