Mesi a top 10 most popular athlete in US, soccer #2 popularity in US

John Adams

Yeah, it's happening. Ages 12-24, only the NFL beats soccer for popularity. Another indicator of its success among the young, EA Sports's FIFA game is the second most popular sports video game, only behind the titan Madden football. With the World Cup on the horizon and Team USA doing well, it's only going to get more popular here.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/1452?cc=4716

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's happening. Ages 12-24, only the NFL beats soccer for popularity. Another indicator of its success among the young, EA Sports's FIFA game is the second most popular sports video game, only behind the titan Madden football. With the World Cup on the horizon and Team USA doing well, it's only going to get more popular here.

http://espnfc.com/bl...id/1452?cc=4716

Let me remind you that most of us had contempt for today's youth even before you posted this.

This is the most funniest thing I have ever read. Your argument that soccer is serious does not even come from the real ESPN. It comes from ESPNfc. Until this moment, it was a site I never knew existed. It's not hard to imagine soccer as a popular sport for kids. My niece and nephew love it. That, with the growing population of Hispanics in this country - well, I guess that makes sense.

You know, beyond that, this Messi guy is so popular you misspelled his name. Hell, the guy is so popular that I just asked a friend that was recently on the USA Today top 100 recruits in the country if they knew him. They didn't. Boy, soccer... no matter how hard they try, no matter how much they rahrah themselves, we just do not take them serious.

This is the most funniest thing I have ever read. Your argument that soccer is serious does not even come from the real ESPN. It comes from ESPNfc. Until this moment, it was a site I never knew existed. It's not hard to imagine soccer as a popular sport for kids. My niece and nephew love it. That, with the growing population of Hispanics in this country - well, I guess that makes sense.

You know, beyond that, this Messi guy is so popular you misspelled his name. Hell, the guy is so popular that I just asked a friend that was recently on the USA Today top 100 recruits in the country if they knew him. They didn't. Boy, soccer... no matter how hard they try, no matter how much they rahrah themselves, we just do not take them serious.

If your friend plays soccer at a high level, check that, plays soccer, check that, has at one time been engaged in an activity resembling soccer, and has never heard of Messi then that is simply embarrassing.

That would be akin to being one of the hottest golf prospects in the country and having never heard of McIlroy.

If your friend plays soccer at a high level, check that, plays soccer, check that, has at one time been engaged in an activity resembling soccer, and has never heard of Messi then that is simply embarrassing.

That would be akin to being one of the hottest golf prospects in the country and having never heard of McIlroy.

apparently you're rightyou're right. i though i read his name as leonard mesi... They texted me back after i said he was a famous soccer player and said "do you mean lionel messi?" :wallbash:

I'm a soccer fan and I don't really care if the game gets huge in this country. I'm very happy with the level of popularity it's at right now. I have a great selection of games to watch on tv.

I'm mostly excited that the U.S. National team is making strides. I have no interest in trying to convert anyone.

EDIT: it is surprising though how any sports fan wouldn't have at least a casual curiosity about Lionel Messi, one of the most crazy-talented athletes of all time.

Edited by Cugalabanza

http://espnfc.com/bl...id/1452?cc=4716

That's fine but the most in form player right now in soccer is not Messi but the 37 year old ageless Totti.

And here is a photo of his wife just for the !@#$ of it:

ilary-blasi-2.jpg

And here is a youtube video of the great one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RaQGrYnwUM

Oh boy... Now they are trotting out the beards to prove their heterosexual prowess! Paging Mrs. Brady, paging Mrs. Brady.

Damn! Just messing w/you meazza. Gotta have equal side of the argument... ;-)

It's ok. I simply hijacked the thread :)

I'm a soccer fan and I don't really care if the game gets huge in this country. I'm very happy with the level of popularity it's at right now. I have a great selection of games to watch on tv.

I'm mostly excited that the U.S. National team is making strides. I have no interest in trying to convert anyone.

EDIT: it is surprising though how any sports fan wouldn't have at least a casual curiosity about Lionel Messi, one of the most crazy-talented athletes of all time.

Same here. As you know, I had been wanting to see Klinsmann get the gig for many years before it finally happened, and to see the national team in such great shape is a great feeling. I expect us to have a very solid showing next year in Brazil, and I couldn't be more proud to have him as our coach.

As for soccer's popularity, obviously it will never be the NFL, but as you said, it doesn't need to be...I'm very happy to have the access to it that we have currently, especially now that the Premiership has so much more visibility and the MLS has really solidified it's core market.

It's the second greatest sport in the world and it's here to stay.

And as for Mrs Totti...holy wowza!!!!

Same here. As you know, I had been wanting to see Klinsmann get the gig for many years before it finally happened, and to see the national team in such great shape is a great feeling. I expect us to have a very solid showing next year in Brazil, and I couldn't be more proud to have him as our coach.

As for soccer's popularity, obviously it will never be the NFL, but as you said, it doesn't need to be...I'm very happy to have the access to it that we have currently, especially now that the Premiership has so much more visibility and the MLS has really solidified it's core market.

It's the second greatest sport in the world and it's here to stay.

And as for Mrs Totti...holy wowza!!!!

Be as awesome as he is and you could have her too :D

Maybe I can just borrow her for a day? An hour? Few minutes?

One of the perks of being a roma fan. Allowed to borrow her for one hour a month.

I usually have 59 min to spare.

Edited by meazza

I became a big soccer fan in the mid 1990's. Long story short, my wife is Dutch. As a result, I started following the Dutch National team. At the time, they had Dennis Bergkamp who was a fantastic and creative player -- even to me and my then untrained eye.

Because Bergkamp played for Arsenal (a London team in the English Premier League), I became a fan of Arsenal and am a huge fan today.

This past weekend, I flew to London and went to my first game. The atmosphere is incredible. I had a fantastic time. I dare say that most everyone who is not a soccer fan would leave a game like the one I saw a fan if for no other reason than the amazing atmosphere. I have all kinds of stories about my experience this past weekend, but one of the great things about Arsenal (and other big clubs) is that it brings together people from countries, cultures, religions etc. from all over the world.

Edited by Peter

I became a big soccer fan in the mid 1990's. Long story short, my wife is Dutch. As a result, I started following the Dutch National team. At the time, they had Dennis Bergkamp who was a fantastic and creative player -- even to me and my then untrained eye.

Because Bergkamp played for Arsenal (a London team in the English Premier League), I became a fan of Arsenal and am a huge fan today.

This past weekend, I flew to London and went to my first game. The atmosphere is incredible. I had a fantastic time. I dare say that most everyone who is not a soccer fan would leave a game like the one I saw a fan if for no other reason than the amazing atmosphere. I have all kinds of stories about my experience this past weekend, but one of the great things about Arsenal (and other big clubs) is that it brings together people from countries, cultures, religions etc. from all over the world.

Wow, I'd love to hear more about it if you feel up to sharing...that's on my bucket list for sure!

One of the perks of being a roma fan. Allowed to borrow her for one hour a month.

I usually have 59 min to spare.

Sold! :w00t: