Mesi a top 10 most popular athlete in US, soccer #2 popularity in US

John Adams

No, I never played soccer. I only played real sports. :D I have attended a lot of games, and I have watched enough on TV.

There is no doubt that soccer players who progress are great athletes, and it takes way more endurance than baseball. But, I'm saying that a good portion of soccer having so many youth players who never have turned into this great fan base is because there's more than just right field where they can not embarrass themselves.

BTW, the guy who made that funny remark is John Kruk, who has a lifetime .300 batting average. He might not look athletic, but that takes super world class hand-eye coordination to do that!

I'm well aware of John Kruk and enjoy him. His All-Star game appearance with Randy Johnson still makes me laugh. That said "super world class hand-eye coordination" does not impress me as an athletic talent. If that is the case there is a whole generation of video game players that we would have to dub great athletes. :nana:

It is funny the experience of d-bag soccer players that you had. I can't say I can argue strongly as I know many however for me it was always the baseball players that stood out as d-bags. I live in Auburn and we have a low A ball team here. This isn't much higher than HS but these guys walk around like they are in the big leagues. You should hear them talk to girls :rolleyes: . In college I really didn't care for many of the guys on the baseball team either as they were all so full of themselves. Then again I was probably that d-bag soccer player :bag::lol:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem w/soccer is that it is not inclusive for everyone. It takes one body type only. True, soccer players have to be in great shape and have an athletic build... But, there is just no place for any other type of player... It is very exclusive. The chubby child who's parent's make him play soccer moves on to playing lineman for the football team. There is a place for the fat kids in baseball, football, and even hockey... Stuff them in the net. After youth soccer, is there a place for the normal person? Is there the over 30 soccer version of softball?

The problem here is that what all the soccer lovers like to preach. Yet, in the end... To play soccer, everybody has to have endurance and be extremely physically fit. That is a great thing in a perfect world... But not so great in the real world. There is absolutely no place in soccer for anybody that has less than the ideal soccer body... Unless they are parked on a stadium bench watching the wonderful 2-1 game marveling @ what athletic Adonis' take the field.

Soccer players move on to football, they become the place kicker.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

MDH: Seems like it's been forever since I've seen you, man! You been playing poker anywhere? I hadn't been, but then I saw that a site I used to play on for years was open to US customers, so I've been playing some small stakes the past few weeks.

I post daily on the Wall, just not that often here. I stopped playing online poker quite awhile when the feds were threatening to lock people's money up. I took my money out and stuck to playing the occasional real world game. Playing online for no money is a joke as people just do idiotic things.

Though now that I live in London (and will for the next year or so) I guess I could look back into it. Hmm.

I post daily on the Wall, just not that often here. I stopped playing online poker quite awhile when the feds were threatening to lock people's money up. I took my money out and stuck to playing the occasional real world game. Playing online for no money is a joke as people just do idiotic things.

Though now that I live in London (and will for the next year or so) I guess I could look back into it. Hmm.

Wow, you live in London?? That's amazing!

I'm well aware of John Kruk and enjoy him. His All-Star game appearance with Randy Johnson still makes me laugh. That said "super world class hand-eye coordination" does not impress me as an athletic talent. If that is the case there is a whole generation of video game players that we would have to dub great athletes. :nana:

It is funny the experience of d-bag soccer players that you had. I can't say I can argue strongly as I know many however for me it was always the baseball players that stood out as d-bags. I live in Auburn and we have a low A ball team here. This isn't much higher than HS but these guys walk around like they are in the big leagues. You should hear them talk to girls :rolleyes: . In college I really didn't care for many of the guys on the baseball team either as they were all so full of themselves. Then again I was probably that d-bag soccer player :bag::lol:

I can imagine that A ball players can be real aholes.

It's funny that you mention the video game players. They had a thing on them on Real Sports this month. They sold out the Staples Center to watch teams of these geeks play each other. It was so weird. And, they were calling them athletes as far as I remember - and they make 6 figures doing this.

But, the part that stood out (I think this thread already was started) was that they said there are more video game players than there are baseball players, even if you include all the way from Little League to MLB................I thought this is just the kind of "lies, damned lies and statistics" that is constantly being used about soccer...............No **** there are more kids playing video games than baseball. Everybody plays video games. I'm sure it could be said about every other sport, too.

Gaming is a larger industry that movies now...GTA V was released a month or two ago and it grossed like a billion dollars in the first 24 hrs...it's ridiculous

It is ridiculous. I mean this thing at the Staples Center was 20,000 loser geeks in the crowd going nuts over stuff on the screen. Something like 10% of those into this are female...................Not where I'd want to be!

BTW, you guys have convinced about soccer's greatness, and I am going to travel to Ithaca to spend the weekend watching the Empire 8 women's soccer tournament! Go Naz - get to the NCAAs!

• 6 months later...