Is this current front office getting a pass?

They didn't establish any depth at CB, WR, OL and QB while being 20 million under the cap.

The lack of depth at CB has been the achilles all year. A tremendous scheme being ruined by the lack of personnel.

We have a head coach challenge that they fumbled where the opposing team recovered. Another challenge were he didn't even know the rules.

We have an undisplined team that is getting unsportmanship misconduct penalties every single game this year. Were is the discpline and accountabilty Marrone preached in his initial presser? Where is the culture change?

What I see is a front office that is performing as bad as it predecesers. Am I the only one not impressed with what Russ Brandon has done?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, the new thing for the Buffalo media is to tell us that's it really OK that the Bills or Sabres lost because it was a close game and at least they competed. Fans seem to be buying into this. That's what it's come to. That's how bad things have been. All fine and dandy to lose but, hey, it was close. I guess all the players get a trophy for participating at the end of the year now. Loss is a loss. Close or not. Kansas City was 2-14 last year. They changed the coach and the QB. They are 6-0 today. Meanwhile, the Bills just keep right on being mediocre,losing close games and making excuses. Only the names on the back of the jersey and on the sidelines has changed. It will take awhile for people to see it's really not any different.

They didn't establish any depth at CB, WR, OL and QB while being 20 million under the cap.

The lack of depth at CB has been the achilles all year. A tremendous scheme being ruined by the lack of personnel.

We have a head coach challenge that they fumbled where the opposing team recovered. Another challenge were he didn't even know the rules.

We have an undisplined team that is getting unsportmanship misconduct penalties every single game this year. Were is the discpline and accountabilty Marrone preached in his initial presser? Where is the culture change?

What I see is a front office that is performing as bad as it predecesers. Am I the only one not impressed with what Russ Brandon has done?

A pass?????? How about some credit for once!

Man, these bash the front office threads are annoying...I start one highlighting the good things they have done since the start of the offseason, and it gets locked. Someone else starts one to complain...not locked. Priceless.

First off, this front office has:

Traded Sheppard for Hughes = grade A: Sheppard is worthless and Hughes is giving us production on the field

Signed Lawson and Leonard = grade A: Based on value, these were two very quality signings

Did not OVER pay Levitre = grade A: You dont over pay for guards, just ask the Titans as they have wasted money twice now doing it (Levitre, Hutchinson)

Traded essentially Tavon Austin for EJ and Kiko and some change = grade A+: This was a steal

Draft grade overall = A: When your first four picks are EJ, Woods, Kiko, and Goodwin you earn an A for the draft. No way the old regime would EVER draft Kiko...this one did because it saw talent and did their due diligence...the old FO would not have even had him on their draft board (see Vontaze Burfict who I think would have been drafted by this regime)

Traded for Thad = grade A: Considering what we gave to get a QB who proved to be capable of being a quality backup and a guy who can win a game, thats an A\

Hired Marrone = grade B: I like Marrone, I think this was a good hire and he was a hot candidate for other teams and our guys signed him.

Hired Pettine = grade A: This guy has made a big difference on this defense, especially considering the insane amount of injuries we have had to withstand from KEY players on defense.

Hired Hacket = grade C-: This guy called a better game today and is getting better. And this is more on Marrone than the FO anyway as he was his guy.

Negatives: Not bringing in more help at Guard for depth at the very least, and not keeping T Jax. T Jax is negated by the pick up of Thad, who as far as I am concerned is pretty comparable to T Jax anyway.

I find it comical that people just think an entire football team is rebuilt in one off season, including QB and the Skill positions. This FO has done a pretty good job in its first season together and I love the direction of this team.

WE ARE LITERALLY 4 or 5 plays from being either 6-0 or at least 5-1. This is a young team who has been hit very hard by injuries (Starting QB, both RB's, backup QB, #1 WR, #4WR, #1 DB, #2 DB, #3 DB, Pro Bowl S, starting DE, starting LG, starting K) who has battled EVERY week til the very end.

This team is headed in the right direction. There is a lot of promise and potential with the team the FO put together...and for once, this team has something exciting about it and reason for hope. Hate towards the FO is soooooooo misguided right now that it is not even funny.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Man, these bash the front office threads are annoying...I start one highlighting the good things they have done since the start of the offseason, and it gets locked. Someone else starts one to complain...not locked. Priceless.

Traded Sheppard for Hughes = grade A: Sheppard is worthless and Hughes is giving us production on the field

Signed Lawson and Leonard = grade A: Based on value, these were two very quality signings

Did not OVER pay Levitre = grade A: You dont over pay for guards, just ask the Titans as they have wasted money twice now doing it (Levitre, Hutchinson)

Traded essentially Tavon Austin for EJ and Kiko and some change = grade A+: This was a steal

Draft grade overall = A: When your first four picks are EJ, Woods, Kiko, and Goodwin you earn an A for the draft. No way the old regime would EVER draft Kiko...this one did because it saw talent and did their due diligence...the old FO would not have even had him on their draft board (see Vontaze Burfict who I think would have been drafted by this regime)

Traded for Thad = grade A: Considering what we gave to get a QB who proved to be capable of being a quality backup and a guy who can win a game, thats an A\

Hired Marrone = grade B: I like Marrone, I think this was a good hire and he was a hot candidate for other teams and our guys signed him.

Hired Pettine = grade A: This guy has made a big difference on this defense, especially considering the insane amount of injuries we have had to withstand from KEY players on defense.

Hired Hacket = grade C-: This guy called a better game today and is getting better. And this is more on Marrone than the FO anyway as he was his guy.

Negatives: Not bringing in more help at Guard for depth at the very least, and not keeping T Jax. T Jax is negated by the pick up of Thad, who as far as I am concerned is pretty comparable to T Jax anyway.

I find it comical that people just think an entire football team is rebuilt in one off season, including QB and the Skill positions. This FO has done a pretty good job in its first season together and I love the direction of this team.

WE ARE LITERALLY 4 or 5 plays from being either 6-0 or at least 5-1. This is a young team who has been hit very hard by injuries (Starting QB, both RB's, backup QB, #1 WR, #4WR, #1 DB, #2 DB, #3 DB, Pro Bowl S, starting DE, starting LG, starting K) who has battled EVERY week til the very end.

This team is headed in the right direction. There is a lot of promise and potential with the team the FO put together...and for once, this team has something exciting about it and reason for hope. Hate towards the FO is soooooooo misguided right now that it is not even funny.

Thank you for this.... I agree

You're not the only one on Brandon, but be careful, people will openly say they'll block you and hate you for it. I am truly baffled why I should be pleased with his work, and why I'm wrong in thinking he's a mere yes man for Wilson.

Marrone has shown very poor game management skills. Brandon has spewed the 'analytics' line and there's no evidence that he's following through on that.

The Bills handled CB depth poorly. Handled QB situation exceptionally, embarrassingly poorly. They have copious cap space while ceding quality assets and addressing nothing.

I agree that the team is headed in the right direction. The defense, even with a lesser game today, is showing real promise. There's quality pieces to build around. Do I think it matters with this front office? No. Not unless the Bills get really lucky with a QB.

Yes, they are getting a pass and no, they do not deserve a pass.

This team has accumulated a mountain of data on how to remain a losing organization.....and yet they continue to repeat mistakes.

You don't bring a first time NFL head coach into a 13 year losing streak and not give him the best team you possibly can to put him in position to succeed.

Once that coach gets the stink of losing on him.......it becomes all the harder to reverse that culture.

I have mentioned before about how other bad teams repeatedly blow past the Bills and turn their teams around in short order while the Bills try to slowly re-build.

The Bills should not be in a re-build. The Chiefs are 6-0 in great part because they didn't start nitpicking with their salary cap while they were trying to reverse their losing ways.

If Dwayne Bowe and Brandon Albert were in Buffalo last year.......this front office would have let them leave in free agency rather than pay out those giant contracts.

And the Bills apologists here would be defending the moves.......because it is just too much money for a re-building team to pay those players.

The Chiefs didn't see it that way and they are well on their way to the playoffs.

The Bills not only didn't get Levitre or Byrd signed......they didn't do much shopping at all in free agency.....and not addressing that guard position or adding another veteran QB has hurt this team a lot.

People can deny that Colin Brown hasn't killed this team but the Bills top 2 QB's have been injured on runs after being forced out of the pocket. At some point you can't pretend that the quality of OL play hasn't had an impact. Now imagine if Cordy Glenn or Erik Pears gets hurt......cuz there is NOTHING behind those guys.

You're not the only one on Brandon, but be careful, people will openly say they'll block you and hate you for it. I am truly baffled why I should be pleased with his work, and why I'm wrong in thinking he's a mere yes man for Wilson.

Marrone has shown very poor game management skills. Brandon has spewed the 'analytics' line and there's no evidence that he's following through on that.

The Bills handled CB depth poorly. Handled QB situation exceptionally, embarrassingly poorly. They have copious cap space while ceding quality assets and addressing nothing.

I agree that the team is headed in the right direction. The defense, even with a lesser game today, is showing real promise. There's quality pieces to build around. Do I think it matters with this front office? No. Not unless the Bills get really lucky with a QB.

I'm more often the guy people say they're going to block than the homer who says "wah, you're not a real fan 'cause you're negative"...

But I disagree with pretty much all this.

I would like to see Marrone be more aggressive in certain situations but the fact that he went for it on 4th down twice today and went for 2 in the 4th Qtr vs Carolina (OMG in the 3rd Quarter!) is some indication of being open to analytics - so that point is not fair.

As others have asked, how good do you expect the 4th CB in line to be? Would Seattle's 3rd&4th CB's be good if they had to start every week? You need to accept that injuries play a major role in a league where the W/L line is so thin.

Pretty much every team that wins consistently has gotten lucky @QB at some point along the way, with a few exceptions of teams who are unusually loaded everywhere else on their roster, like the Bengals & 49ers.

Edited by BuffOrange

Front office does not get a pass, nor do they deserve one.

Going with a rookie undrafted free agent as the back-up QB to start the season has proved to be a disaster. Not replacing Levitre is inexplicable. The Byrd situation is not going to end well. No depth with $20 million in cap space to spend.

Just because they finally seemed to have drafted a couple of good players (Kiko and Wood) they are doing great?

Our standards are way too low. We should expect better.

They did the right thing not spending a ton of money in free agency. This way they can take this year and see what they have with all the young guys and how they fit into the new offensive and defensive systems and better evaluate what they need. I will be pissed if they don't spend this coming offseason though.

As far as the CB depth, the guys we have aren't really that bad for 4th and 5th stringers. For QB, are people forgetting that we had Kolb? How were they supposed to predict he would have a season ending concussion? Plus Tuel was looking good in pre-season and Thad showed he can be a pretty decent NFL QB today.

And what the hell is with people writing off Marrone? Can we give him a season at least before we decide if he'll be a good coach. Aside from Harbaugh who took over a loaded 49ers team, have their been any rookie coaches that are great right away?

this was always going to be a rebuilding year. they left a lot of rookies and young guys on this team on purpose. I don't agree with doing that at the QB position but I can't fault them for any other moves. when Kolb got hurt they should have practice squad'ed Tuel and got another veteran, but it's too late now and I'm happy with how good Thad looks. also, this was our best draft class that I can ever remember and our young guys are getting tons of experience which is how you build a franchise for years to come. I think the front office is doing a good job and the payoff might not be this season but most likely next

Very nice!! I couldn't agree more!! After facing the 6 teams we have, and performing the way we have, I have no doubt we can win any game the rest of the year...

Previous years in games that were close was due to opponents getting the lead and squatting.... We are in EVERY game this year!! Great things to come!

Oh no people blocking and hating...ooo so scared.

Bothers me that people still think the 95 year old man who gave us this team is still somehow sabotaging them.

The number of injuries in the secondary go beyond a lack of depth.

The tuel debacle is on the coaches, not the FO.

Really giving up on Manuel? Are ya kidding? I'm excited we may have found our backup. Ej and Thad could solidify the position for years, and they should only get better.

And why spend the cap down to the last penny? There's a rollover if I'm not mistaken. This team is damn close. Another a+ draft next year and we are in business.

Edited by BUNCH OF MULARKEY

With a title of "Is this current front office getting a pass?" I expected to see a reasonable assessment of both negative and positive aspects of the current FO. Instead I read a bunch of curmudgeonly ill considered views that doesn't propose a question at all and instead tries to make a statement.

Next time you do a thread like this, please be honest about the title.....call it "This current front office is not getting a pass!".......so I can save myself the angst of clicking on it.

With a title of "Is this current front office getting a pass?" I expected to see a reasonable assessment of both negative and positive aspects of the current FO. Instead I read a bunch of curmudgeonly ill considered views that doesn't propose a question at all and instead tries to make a statement.

Next time you do a thread like this, please be honest about the title.....call it "This current front office is not getting a pass!".......so I can save myself the angst of clicking on it.

^

This.