How do you rate our WR corp?

gjv001

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider them in the lower half of the league, but with a lot of room to rise. Already, we've seen Woods become a serviceable NFL player. He's got tremendous upside and seems to "get" what being a pro is about.

But aside from him and Stevie, we're comically thin. We hope Goodwin can blossom into a threat. TJ Graham shows glimpses...very, very rare glimpses. I think we'd all like to see more opportunities for Easley, but there's something there the coaches don't seem to like. Chris Hogan is ahead of him on the depth chart, that says a lot to me.

I agree with Gugny-almost all of the star receivers in the league today have Easley's size; he needs to be given a chance. Reminds me of Eric Moulds in his first or second year. Let the speed guys share the other receiver position. and get Easley in there.

Rating them right now, bottom 1/4. You have Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods. There are no other contributors currently on the roster. WHEN and only WHEN TJ, Marquise and Easley make plays in the NFL regular season can we elevate this squad.

Bottom 1/4. SJ is decent and Woods looks like he's good already and will get better probably. After that we have nothing we can count on at all. Look at our corps vs teams like the Bears, Bungles, Falcons, Seahawks ... We're not even in the same league with those teams.

We need to get over this fast smurf theory we've been doing for a while. Rosco, Graham, Goodwin. They either can't stay healthy or aren't tough enough to make the tough catches.

This is a serious weak link. Our WRs lack physical dominance. All of them. They are guys who can make plays if wide open but not much else. I like Woods and Stevie, but the rest of them are unproven. If they could just add 1 proven vet, this team would be in better shape. A basketball player type, like Jimmy Graham, could make us playoff material. A guy like Jordy Nelson, who can catch anything along the sideline is also lacking here. A height/speed mismatch guy like Megatron or AJ Green would be nice. Also, a physical dominator like Boldin would be a great asset. Give me any of the above types instead of our track guys and I'd be happy.

Edited by mountainwampus

This is a serious weak link. Our WRs lack physical dominance. All of them. They are guys who can make plays if wide open but not much else. I like Woods and Stevie, but the rest of them are unproven. If they could just add 1 proven vet, this team would be in better shape. A basketball player type, like Jimmy Graham, could make us playoff material. A guy like Jordy Nelson, who can catch anything along the sideline is also lacking here. A height/speed mismatch guy like Megatron or AJ Green would be nice. Also, a physical dominator like Boldin would be a great asset. Give me any of the above types instead of our track guys and I'd be happy.

While you're at it we could also use Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson

I'd say strong... to quite strong.

Can you explain?

It is pretty bad.. Stevie is not a true #1 receiver.. he just isn't. He is a possession slot guy who can get open but lacks big play ability and has suspect hands.

While Woods is no doubt good for a rookie, he is still about an average NFL receiver at this point and nothing special. (so far)

Graham hasn't proved he belongs in the league, Easley same thing... Goodwin hasn't played..

Can you explain?

It is pretty bad.. Stevie is not a true #1 receiver.. he just isn't. He is a possession slot guy who can get open but lacks big play ability and has suspect hands.

While Woods is no doubt good for a rookie, he is still about an average NFL receiver at this point and nothing special. (so far)

Graham hasn't proved he belongs in the league, Easley same thing... Goodwin hasn't played..

Dude....messing with you. Trolling.

Can you explain?

Dude it's from a movie. And I'd say that our WR corps is about as strong as Gaylord Focker's portfolio actually was at the time... https://www.youtube....h?v=_rTLZujmHXY Edited by metzelaars_lives

Right now, I’d say we’re somewhere around the lower half to the lower quarter but we do have some decent potential. The only proven guy we have is Stevie and I think he’d be a solid #3/slot guy. He makes some great catches but then baffles us with an easy drop and rarely makes a big play. The big plays he does have, just about any other WR in the league could make as well. I think Woods will end up being better than Stevie before too long…maybe by the end of this season.

I believe that I am one of the few that is not ready to give up on TJ yet. Some of you all wanted to cut him last year because he didn’t light up the league as a rookie. WR is one of the toughest transitions from college to the pros. Most WRs can’t really read a defense all too well in college so there’s often a large learning curve. As long as a guy shows he can athletically handle it, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me for about 3 seasons. By the end of year #3 and certainly by year #4, if he still hasn’t proven he can hack it, then I’m ready to move on. TJ is one heck of an athlete that is still learning how to play WR. I for one am fine with giving him more time to see what he can do. I suspect Goodwin is very similar to TJ but don’t really know since we haven’t seen him yet.

Hogan is ahead of Easley on the depth chart because he’s a very consistent route runner and is always where he is supposed to be when he’s supposed to be there. I do hope that we get to see more of Easley this year so we finally know what we really have in him. He did get some snaps against Cleveland but the few times that I specifically watched him, he didn’t appear to be getting open at all…maybe someone with All 22 access can confirm that. I read an article the other day (I was on my phone so no link) where Marrone was talking about the DB we called up. One of the reasons he gave on why we called him up is because we want to see everyone on the team in action so we know what he can do. We don’t want to get to the off season and then say geez, we’re not sure so we keep him around another season. Based on that rationale, I am assuming that if/when the playoffs are out of reach, we’re going to see all sorts of players getting some snaps. I’d really like to see Easley get a full game to get in the flow so we know if he is just a training camp legend/2nd coming of Steve Tasker or an NFL caliber WR.