What are the 3 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS for building a championship team

PolishDave

My opinion listed in order of importance:

1) Must have an above average run stopping defense

2) Must have an awesome pass rush (close to best in the league)

3) Must have a consistent deep threat passing the ball that other teams fear constantly

I am a firm believer in the idea that you are better off having an above average defense rather than an above average offense if you could only have one or the other. I believe that because I think it is easier to play consistently good defense than it is to play consistently good offense.

So, if I was a head coach in the NFL, those three attributes would be the three top things on my “overall philosophy” of building a championship team.

I am excited for the Bills because I see them getting much better at number one and two. Actually I believe that is the only reason that our games this season haven't been one sided blowouts against us.

I am not too optimistic about number three on my list given the way that the Bills have been playing so far this year.

What is your take?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3) Must have a consistent deep threat passing the ball that other teams fear constantly

I am a firm believer in the idea that you are better off having an above average defense rather than an above average offense if you could only have one or the other. I believe that because I think it is easier to play consistently good defense than it is to play consistently good offense.

So, if I was a head coach in the NFL, those three attributes would be the three top things on my “overall philosophy” of building a championship team.

I am excited for the Bills because I see them getting much better at number one and two. Actually I believe that is the only reason that our games this season haven't been one sided blowouts against us.

I am not too optimistic about number three on my list given the way that the Bills have been playing so far this year.

What is your take?

qb qb qb

What is your take?

I did a study on this a while back here:http://forums.twobil...n-a-super-bowl/

In recent times it boils down to having a great QB.

Why do you think that the run defense is more important than the pass rush? My first instinct would be to have these 3 in reverse order (with the assumption that part of #3 is a quality QB).

kj

What is your take?

1. An above average QB that is capable of reading defenses well.

2. A competent coach that can make more from what he has whether he has a lot or not. Levy for example made less of what he had, as Polian once said, that was a special collection of talent that the NFL will never see again. Both Jimmy Johnson and Parcells outcoached Levy with lesser overall talent.

3. A competent front office that is capable of putting the first two along with the aforementioned talent in place.

At present the Bills have none of those things.

So having a really solid quarterback, if not a great one is not important?

SB 47 - Flacco - good QB

SB 46 - Eli Manning - good QB

SB 45 - Aaron Rogers - great QB

SB 44- Drew Brees - great QB

SB 43 - Big Ben - good QB

SB 42 - Eli Manning - Good QB

SB 41 - Payeton Manning - great QB

SB 40 - Big Ben - poor QB at that time

SB 39 - Tom Brady - great QB

SB 38 - Tom Brady - Great QB

SB 37 - Brad Johnson - poor QB

SB 36 - Tom Brady - good QB at the time

SB 35 - Trent Dilfer - poor QB

SB 34 - Kurt Warner - Great QB

I'm not seeing how the QB position doesn't play a role in building a championship side.

maybe I'm missing something

Why do you think that the run defense is more important than the pass rush? My first instinct would be to have these 3 in reverse order (with the assumption that part of #3 is a quality QB).

Because if other teams can run the ball against you consistently, then you are not going to win consistently unless you obviously are way better in other areas that compensate for that.

That is why I say your run defense has to be a little better than average. It doesn't have to be the best in the league, but if it is below average, that will be your biggest Achilles heel.

So having a really solid quarterback, if not a great one is not important?

I'm not seeing how the QB position doesn't play a role in building a championship side.

Dude.....

Obviously if you have a consistent deep threat passing the ball that teams fear constantly then you have a great quarterback. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed you would understand that?

So you could say that a great passing QB is 3rd on my list because you need a great passing QB to have a consistent deep threat that teams will fear all the time.

#1 - GM talent evaluator

#2 - QB starting

#3 - QB backup

I would say that you number 1 is the number 1 requirement for having a consistently good team year after year. Either that or you have to get really lucky picking a hall of fame QB like New England did. And yes it was luck. They got him in a late round and he sat the bench for a while behind Bledsoe. They did not realize early in the draft that Brady was going to be as good as he ended up being. If they did, then obviously he would have been their number one pick. Instead they drafted a bunch of people who were obviously way less talented at their positions than Brady ultimately ended up being at his.

Absolutely not true. Look at Brady's history in his Super Bowl games. Almost entirely short-medium passes.

Even in recent years his game is short-medium.

He reads Ds well. That's what's needed. In fact, the longer the throws, the less the time of possession. A short and medium passing game is so much more important.

Absolutely not true. Look at Brady's history in his Super Bowl games. Almost entirely short-medium passes.

It is not a right or wrong thing guys...all I was asking for is opinions on how you would do it. What is most important to you?

Obviously there is more than one way to build a championship team. If you analyze each team from year to year, their talent level at different positions differs. Look at the Trent Dilfer year as proof of that. Obviously not the best QB in the league and certainly not a real deep threat.

So yes you can build a championship team without a deep threat. I never said you couldn't. I said that is how I would do it.

How would you do it?

Edited by PolishDave

1. Quarterback

The key is consistency. It's not necessarily about having Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Drew Brees. It's about having a QB that can play at a very high level, week after week - against every kind of defense thrown at him. He needs to play well against heavy blitzing teams AND against those that play heavy coverage looks. He needs to make throws against man to man AND against zone. He should be able to hit the deep throws frequently, but also have the patience to pick down the field with underneath throws.

2. Coaching Staff

The key here is adaptability. Look around the NFL and you see tons of copycats. West Coast Offense. Tampa 2 Defense. Read-Option. Wildcat. Spread. A good coaching staff doesn't form "his system" and force it on the players. He adjusts his scheme to fit the players strengths and hide weaknesses. He adjusts the weekly game plan to attack that particular opponent. Every team in the NFL has talent. But only a few coaching staffs know how to maximize what they've got week after week.

3. Supporting Cast

This is different from team to team. It's about knowing and building on your franchise's identity.

If you are the Denver Broncos with a QB like Peyton Manning, it's more important to have an excellent O-Line than a shut down defense. Why? Because your championship hopes depend on Manning staying healthy. And if the defense can just keep the opponent under 25-30 points each week, the Broncos win 90 percent of the time. On the opposite end, a team like 49ers (when they had Alex Smith) needed a strong running game, and a defense capable of keeping the opponent under 15-20 points each week. Because Smith was better suited as a game manager, not a guy who could win in a shootout.

1.) You need a QB

2.) You need a defense that could make a big play every once in awhile

3.) You need a QB

Yes QB is that important that I listed it twice. Get yourself a top 10 QB & you should be in the playoff hunt most years. Get your self a top 5 QB & you should be contending for a super bowl on an annual basis.

Even in recent years his game is short-medium.

He reads Ds well. That's what's needed. In fact, the longer the throws, the less the time of possession. A short and medium passing game is so much more important.

Exactly right.

The most successful Super Bowl winning quarterbacks over the last 20-30 years - Tom Brady, Joe Montana - did the majority of their damage with short/underneath throws.