Trade Steve Johnson to Atlanta if the offer is right?

Dean Cain

Trade Stevie?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Bills Explore Trading Steve Johnson to Atlanta?

2. 2. If Yes, what would be a suitable draft pick?

For the first time in how damn long we have two good receivers and you want to go out and trade one? No thanks. You probably wouldn't get better than a fourth. If you really think SJ isn't worth a 4th round pick to this team then I don't know what to tell you.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not. Draft picks are ridiculously overrated.

Pretend we get a 1st round pick for Stevie, which is more than any team would give up for him.

First of all, we create a BIG hole at WR. Our #1 receiver becomes Robert Woods. Our #2 becomes TJ Graham.

WR becomes a big need. So instead of improving at OG, TE, LB, CB or another position - we now have to use our pick on an unknown player.

Even if we use that Number #1 pick on another WR, what are the chances that we get a player of Stevie Johnson's caliber? The guy has 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons and is widely considered one of the best route runners in the league. More than half of 1st round picks in this league are complete busts. Another 25 percent only turn out to be decent starters.

Instead, why don't we use our #2 pick from next year and offer it to Cleveland for Josh Gordon. That way we are absolutely loaded at the WR position for years to come.

For the first time in how damn long we have two good receivers and you want to go out and trade one? No thanks. You probably wouldn't get better than a fourth. If you really think SJ isn't worth a 4th round pick to this team then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm as big a Stevie fan as there is, that being said I would trade him for a 1st or 2 2nds. Nothing else is acceptable, he has a very affordable contract, loves the city of Buffalo and has embraced being a Bill.

I'm as big a Stevie fan as there is, that being said I would trade him for a 1st or 2 2nds. Nothing else is acceptable, he has a very affordable contract, loves the city of Buffalo and has embraced being a Bill.

You won't get that. And even if you did why would you make the trade? So that you can use that pick to go out and fill the hole that trading him created? All of the positives that you pointed to at the end of your statement are reasons why he should continue to be a member of this team.

The best way to build a team is by trading your proven veterans for mid round draft picks.

The Bills have proven this to work. We are constantly making the playoffs. We should keep trading our proven talent for mid round picks.

Agreed!!! :thumbsup:

You won't get that. And even if you did why would you make the trade? So that you can use that pick to go out and fill the hole that trading him created? All of the positives that you pointed to at the end of your statement are reasons why he should continue to be a member of this team.

The Bills won't get what I consider fair so there is no reason to trade him. I love Stevie and I love him being a Bill.

Let me preface the following by saying I think Steve Johnson is a good #2 slot receiver option and will be for the next 3-5 years. Steve Johnson appears to be near the height of his athletic and professional ability. At 27 it appears we have seen the ceiling of Johnson's statistical ability, and that is around 70 catches for 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns per season. While these numbers don't jump off the stat sheet they are good starting WR in the NFL numbers.

Atlanta has been devastated at the WR position with injuries to Julio Jones & Roddy White. Atlanta coerced Tony Gonzalez out of retirement for one last swan song. With the hope that they could do for him what Pittsburgh did for Jerome Bettis in 2005, culminating in a Super Bowl victory.

Now the question must be asked. If you were Doug Whaley would you at least entertain trading your star WR to Atlanta? The argument can be made that 2013 was always about setting up the Bills for years to come. While Steve Johnson will only be 28 in 2014, it appears that there is depth at the WR position for Buffalo.

I understand this would be an unpopular choice among the fan base, as #13 jerseys proliferate any Sunday Bills gathering. This decision would be likened to "tanking" the season a la Cleveland trading their best player Trent Richardson to Indianapolis for a 1st round pick in 2014.

One could argue the merits of tanking a season given the results of recent #1 overall draft picks. Additionally I understand that Jairus Byrd is the player most Bills fans want to trade. Steve Johnson chose to stay in Buffalo for a fair value. Johnson has embraced Buffalo, and in turn we have been willing to forgive him for his occasional drops, and antics.

What say you?

My first reaction would be to question why you think we have depth at the WR position. I think it is one of our weakest areas.

How do we have a "great" receiving corps? It is, at best, a work in progress.

By "great" I mean one of the better aspects of our team. Our RBs can never seem to play through a whole game without injuries, our secondary has been dismembered by mediocre QBs, and I'm sure we could nit pick and find many other flaws. What Im saying is we don't need to be trading away Stevie when our relatively consistent WR play has helped EJ come a long way.

My first reaction would be to question why you think we have depth at the WR position. I think it is one of our weakest areas.

As far as I'm concerned, with Stevie on one side, Woods on the other, and Spiller (should be) running flats, I don't know how that is considered weak. A safety who doesn't want to be on the team and injuries keeping holes in the CB position tell me that our secondary is "weak".

typical WGR caller, let's call him Stan from Cheektowaga (In thick Buffalo accent): First thing they gotta do is fire Regehr. It all starts at the top. Then you go out and ya trade Stafford and Sekera and ya bring in Getzlaf...

You have that wrong...it's Chaz from Cheektowaga or Tony from Tonawanda. The name has to have the same first letter as the town.

Wouldn't get more than a 4th so no Thank you. Also Atlanta should be looking @ Gordon in Cleveland. He's more of a Julio than SJ. Plus Roddy White isn't getting any younger. Gordon will cost the Falcons a 2nd rounder. San fran is rumored to kicking the tires, Atlanta needs him more!